    on disk and she could not use Supanet as her home page, by choice she had
    been previously been using MSN as her home page.
    Andrew.

    Andrew, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Andrew

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Andrew composed the following ...
    > My neighbours computer came with windows preloaded and a "rescue disk" She
    > has a problem that seems to be caused by Internet Explorer being corrupt,
    > is there any way that Explorer can be reinstalled on it's own? She can
    > connect to the internet but nothing opens whether from addresses typed in
    > or from her favourites.It is a TIME computer that came with a 56K modem
    > using Supanet. She later upgraded to Broadband with a Zoom modem
    > supplied by Supanet. Since installing it the original Supanet Explorer
    > software remained on disk and she could not use Supanet as her home page,
    > by choice she had been previously been using MSN as her home page.

    Has she left the Internet Settings to still dial in?

    In IE, Tools - Internet Options - Connections, check the 'Never dial a
    connection' box.

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

    Paul - xxx, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Paul - xxx" <> wrote in message
    > Andrew composed the following ...
    >> My neighbours computer came with windows preloaded and a "rescue disk"
    >> She
    >> has a problem that seems to be caused by Internet Explorer being corrupt,
    >> is there any way that Explorer can be reinstalled on it's own? She can
    >> connect to the internet but nothing opens whether from addresses typed in
    >> or from her favourites.It is a TIME computer that came with a 56K modem
    >> using Supanet. She later upgraded to Broadband with a Zoom modem
    >> supplied by Supanet. Since installing it the original Supanet Explorer
    >> software remained on disk and she could not use Supanet as her home page,
    >> by choice she had been previously been using MSN as her home page.

    > Has she left the Internet Settings to still dial in?
    >
    > In IE, Tools - Internet Options - Connections, check the 'Never dial a
    > connection' box.
    >
    > --
    > Paul ...
    > http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
    > (8(!) Homer Rules ... ;)
    > "A tosser is a tosser, no matter what mode of transport they're using."

    The settings are still there for her broadband connection and "Never dial a
    Connection" is chosen. It dials and the symbol shows that she is connected
    at
    560.0 Kbps. Whenever she tries to open a site it takes ages and although
    "done" come up at the bottom of the screen she gets the Page cannot be
    displayed message. At first I thought that Supanet must be having a problem
    but that was not the case. Trying to send/receive E-Mails also gives her the
    unable to connect message.
    Andrew

    Andrew, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Andrew

    Noel Paton Guest

    try this ....
    you may have spyware
    Such errors are often caused by spyware - download AdAware from
    www.lavasoftusa.com, install, update, and run it to remove spyware, adware,
    and other such nasties from your system.

    also run the LSPFix from here
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    and the WinSocks fix from here

    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm

    Noel Paton, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    She has AdAware, Spyware Blaster and Spybot which did not find any problems.
    Obviously she cannot download others at the moment.
    Derek.

    Andrew, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Andrew

    Noel Paton Guest

    both lspfix and winsockfix are small portable programs that will fit on (the
    same) floppy - they can be downloaded on any PC, copied to floppy and run
    from there on the affected machine

    --

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Thank you, I will try that for her.............. other peoples computers are
    more trouble than mine:)
    Andrew.

    Andrew, Dec 19, 2004
  8. Andrew

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Ya got *that* right <g>! I almost hate it when the phone rings and the bozo
    on the other end says "I've got a little question..."

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    | Thank you, I will try that for her.............. other peoples computers
    are
    | more trouble than mine:)
    | Andrew.
    | "Noel Paton" <> wrote in message
    | > both lspfix and winsockfix are small portable programs that will fit on
    | > (the same) floppy - they can be downloaded on any PC, copied to floppy
    and
    | > run from there on the affected machine
    | >
    | > --
    | > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)