    My computer has Vista Ultimate 32 bit and I have a Widows vista 64 bit. Is it
    possible to upgrade it to 64 bit? Is there an upgrade option when I insert
    the 64 bit cd? or would it be a clean install?
    NightWing310, Jul 6, 2008

  2. Switching from 32-bit to 64-bit is a complete clean install.
    There is not upgrade directly from 32-bit to 64-bit.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 6, 2008

  3. There are full Retail packages with both 32 & 64 bit dvd, 2
    each, in one package. Both full new license and upgrade
    versions. Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit is a clean install -
    there is no upgrade path.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 6, 2008
  4. NightWing310

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 06/07/2008 in message
    <> NightWing310 wrote:

    >My computer has Vista Ultimate 32 bit and I have a Widows vista 64 bit. Is
    >it
    >possible to upgrade it to 64 bit? Is there an upgrade option when I insert
    >the 64 bit cd? or would it be a clean install?

    There was an extremely useful post a few days ago by R C White on this:
    <>

    Essentially 32 bit to 64 bit is always a clean install.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    "Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying,
    Jeff Gaines, Jul 6, 2008
  5. "NightWing310" <> wrote in message
    > My computer has Vista Ultimate 32 bit and I have a Widows vista 64 bit. Is
    > it
    > possible to upgrade it to 64 bit? Is there an upgrade option when I insert
    > the 64 bit cd? or would it be a clean install?

    The upgrade option will be disabled. However the custom install option will
    be available. That means you must save your files and settings and be
    prepared to reinstall your apps. Windows Easy Transfer can save your files
    and settings and works to do that in 32bits and restore your files and
    settings in 64bits. You must use the product key for your 64bit Vista. You
    will need new drivers for your devices so be sure to download the 64bit
    drivers for your computer from the computer manufacturer's website and put
    them on a cd before starting.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 7, 2008