    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    Sooner Al [MVP], May 24, 2007

  2. Sooner Al [MVP]

    Ron Storey Guest

    We have a computer that is setup to connect to a preferred wireless network when in range; the computer connects at first and in a short time it drops the preferred network connection and connects to a generic (Linksys) wireless network. The preferred wireless network has WEP security set and the Linksys wireless network is unsecured. The preferred network has an excellent connection and the Linksys wireless network has a low connection. The computer had been connecting to the preferred wireless network with no problems for a few weeks and it just began to connect to the Linksys network recently. There has been no configuration changes pertaining to the network connections on the computer. Does anyone have any insight why the computer would be dropping the preferred wireless network and connecting to a less desirable wireless network?

    Thanks in advance for you help,

    -- Ron
    Ron Storey, May 24, 2007

  3. Sooner Al [MVP]

    Ron Storey Guest

    Although I did not intentionally mean to leave out the fact tha tthe SSID was chacked not to broadcast, the answer to your question is 'Yes' the SSID is not being broadcasted. Once the the SSID is checked to broadcast the connection problem is resolved. May I ask why you asked this question? How is this relavent? I would be very interested in the explanation why not broadcasting the SSID would cause this prolem (as I am sure other readers would be interested too).

    Thanks for you response,

    -- Ron
    "Sooner Al [MVP]" <> wrote in message news:...
    "Ron Storey" <> wrote in message news:...
[...]

    Any chance your not broadcasting the SSID of your preferred network? Not broadcasting the SSID is not a valid security measure and can cause connectivity issues like you see. Also, you might change the wireless routers channel to something else. Its possible someone on the same channel is interfering enough to cause this issue. Try 1,6 or 11 first. It may take a bit of trial and error. You could also run Netstumbler and do a quick survey to see who is transmitting on what channel in your area...

    Ron Storey, May 25, 2007
  4. Sooner Al [MVP]

    Lem Guest

    See "Non-broadcast Wireless Networks with Microsoft Windows"
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/wifi/hiddennet.mspx

    and

    "Windows XP Wireless Auto Configuration" particularly the section "How
    Wireless Auto Configuration Works"
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg1102.mspx

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking