Preferred ATA to use with sipgate

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by PajaP, Jul 3, 2006.

  1. PajaP

    PajaP Guest

    What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?

    I ordered a ZyXEL 2002L from Scan for 2 reason.
    1) Scan had it, in stock, for £42.50 +vat which is the best price I
    could find.
    2) I already have a ZyXEL router and thought for compatibility I would
    buy the same brand ATA.

    Now scan have emailed me and said they do not really have it in stock!
    I have cancelled the order.

    Now I am looking for an ATA again.
    I have a sipgate account so will be using that, at least initially.

    Would be nice if it could also connect to the pstn network with good
    quality calls (for when/if sipgate is not available).

    I have been looking at the Linksys SPA3000 but have had some bad
    experiences with Linksys kit and support before. I will still consider
    them if it is recommended.
    Also I still like the specs of the 2002L if I can find it for the
    right price and it is recommended.

    Reliability, ease of use and price are all important factors.

    Ideas?

    --
    Many thanks
    PajaP
    PajaP, Jul 3, 2006

  2. PajaP

    Jono Guest

    After serious thinking PajaP wrote :
    > What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?
    >
    > I ordered a ZyXEL 2002L from Scan for 2 reason.
    > 1) Scan had it, in stock, for £42.50 +vat which is the best price I
    > could find.
    > 2) I already have a ZyXEL router and thought for compatibility I would
    > buy the same brand ATA.
    >
    > Now scan have emailed me and said they do not really have it in stock!
    > I have cancelled the order.
    >
    > Now I am looking for an ATA again.
    > I have a sipgate account so will be using that, at least initially.
    >
    > Would be nice if it could also connect to the pstn network with good
    > quality calls (for when/if sipgate is not available).
    >
    > I have been looking at the Linksys SPA3000 but have had some bad
    > experiences with Linksys kit and support before. I will still consider
    > them if it is recommended.
    > Also I still like the specs of the 2002L if I can find it for the
    > right price and it is recommended.
    >
    > Reliability, ease of use and price are all important factors.
    >
    > Ideas?

    The SPA3000 is a fantastic piece of kit, if a little mind boggling at
    first. There's plenty of help around, though, so don't be put off. If I
    have a niggle with any of the 3 SPA3Ks in my control, it is that the
    audio volume, on calls carried over my regular PSTN line, is a little
    low. This doesn't present me with much of an issue as most of my calls
    now go entirely over VoIP.

    The SPA3K does have a "fallback to PSTN" feature, it also
    automatically, by use of an internal relay, connects the phone handset
    directly to the PSTN in the event of a power failure.
    Jono, Jul 3, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh PajaP:
    > What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?
    >
    > I ordered a ZyXEL 2002L from Scan for 2 reason.
    > 1) Scan had it, in stock, for £42.50 +vat which is the best price I
    > could find.
    > 2) I already have a ZyXEL router and thought for compatibility I would
    > buy the same brand ATA.
    >
    > Now scan have emailed me and said they do not really have it in stock!
    > I have cancelled the order.
    >
    > Now I am looking for an ATA again.
    > I have a sipgate account so will be using that, at least initially.
    >
    > Would be nice if it could also connect to the pstn network with good
    > quality calls (for when/if sipgate is not available).
    >
    > I have been looking at the Linksys SPA3000 but have had some bad
    > experiences with Linksys kit and support before. I will still consider
    > them if it is recommended.
    > Also I still like the specs of the 2002L if I can find it for the
    > right price and it is recommended.
    >
    > Reliability, ease of use and price are all important factors.
    >
    > Ideas?

    As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with, this
    offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

    http://paygmobile.at/seb For £38 total credit use referral 07962461234
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 3, 2006
  4. PajaP

    PajaP Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:39:47 +0100, Jono
    <> wrote:

    >The SPA3000 is a fantastic piece of kit, if a little mind boggling at
    >first. There's plenty of help around, though, so don't be put off. If I
    >have a niggle with any of the 3 SPA3Ks in my control, it is that the
    >audio volume, on calls carried over my regular PSTN line, is a little
    >low. This doesn't present me with much of an issue as most of my calls
    >now go entirely over VoIP.
    >
    >The SPA3K does have a "fallback to PSTN" feature, it also
    >automatically, by use of an internal relay, connects the phone handset
    >directly to the PSTN in the event of a power failure.

    Many thanks.
    I am looking at the SPA3000 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and in the
    accessories section it mentions a 'Broadbandbuyer US Plug to BT Socket
    Adapter w/Ring Capacitor'.
    From this can I assume it is not designed for the UK market and I will
    require this adapter?

    --
    PajaP
    PajaP, Jul 3, 2006
  5. Thus spaketh PajaP:
    > On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:39:47 +0100, Jono
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> The SPA3000 is a fantastic piece of kit, if a little mind boggling at
    >> first. There's plenty of help around, though, so don't be put off.
    >> If I have a niggle with any of the 3 SPA3Ks in my control, it is
    >> that the audio volume, on calls carried over my regular PSTN line,
    >> is a little low. This doesn't present me with much of an issue as
    >> most of my calls now go entirely over VoIP.
    >>
    >> The SPA3K does have a "fallback to PSTN" feature, it also
    >> automatically, by use of an internal relay, connects the phone
    >> handset directly to the PSTN in the event of a power failure.
    >>

    > Many thanks.
    > I am looking at the SPA3000 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and in the
    > accessories section it mentions a 'Broadbandbuyer US Plug to BT Socket
    > Adapter w/Ring Capacitor'.
    > From this can I assume it is not designed for the UK market and I will
    > require this adapter?

    It a worldwide product, it has all the settings for UK use, but as it is
    worldwide it uses RJ11 sockets, a few 'made for UK use only' phones
    require the ring capacitor, you can either use an RJ11 plug and wire it
    to a master socket or use the adapter you mention which will do the same
    thing.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 3, 2006
  6. PajaP

    PajaP Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:17:15 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

    >Thus spaketh PajaP:
    >> I am looking at the SPA3000 on broadbandbuyer.co.uk and in the
    >> accessories section it mentions a 'Broadbandbuyer US Plug to BT Socket
    >> Adapter w/Ring Capacitor'.
    >> From this can I assume it is not designed for the UK market and I will
    >> require this adapter?

    >It a worldwide product, it has all the settings for UK use, but as it is
    >worldwide it uses RJ11 sockets, a few 'made for UK use only' phones
    >require the ring capacitor, you can either use an RJ11 plug and wire it
    >to a master socket or use the adapter you mention which will do the same
    >thing.

    Thanks. I would probably buy the adapter then as it is only a couple
    of quid.

    --
    PajaP
    PajaP, Jul 4, 2006
  7. PajaP

    PajaP Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:00:40 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"

    >Thus spaketh PajaP:
    >> What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?
    >>

    >As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with, this
    >offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

    This looks like a prime candidate for me.
    I am considering changing my PSTN service for one that does not allow
    outgoing calls so I guess I may not need all the features of the
    SPA3000. Only concern here would be sipgate having a long period of
    downtime.
    broadbandstuff.co.uk say they have "genuine UK stock". Would this mean
    I do not need the RJ11 Adapter?

    --
    Thx.
    PajaP
    PajaP, Jul 4, 2006
  8. PajaP

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:32:50 +0100, PajaP wrote:

    >On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:00:40 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    ><bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Thus spaketh PajaP:
    >>> What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?
    >>>

    >>As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with, this
    >>offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

    >This looks like a prime candidate for me.
    >I am considering changing my PSTN service for one that does not allow
    >outgoing calls so I guess I may not need all the features of the
    >SPA3000. Only concern here would be sipgate having a long period of
    >downtime.
    >broadbandstuff.co.uk say they have "genuine UK stock". Would this mean
    >I do not need the RJ11 Adapter?

    No you still need the adapter *with* ring circuit. - *some* phones ring without
    it but you may as well order one at the same time under the same shipping cost
    - Cheaper than the high street anyway, assuming you can find anyone that knows
    the difference :)

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jul 4, 2006
  9. Thus spaketh Dave Saville:
    > On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:32:50 +0100, PajaP wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:00:40 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    >> <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thus spaketh PajaP:
    >>>>
    >>> As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with,
    >>> this offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

    >> This looks like a prime candidate for me.
    >> I am considering changing my PSTN service for one that does not allow
    >> outgoing calls so I guess I may not need all the features of the
    >> SPA3000. Only concern here would be sipgate having a long period of
    >> downtime.
    >> broadbandstuff.co.uk say they have "genuine UK stock". Would this
    >> mean I do not need the RJ11 Adapter?

    > No you still need the adapter *with* ring circuit. - *some* phones
    > ring without it but you may as well order one at the same time under
    > the same shipping cost - Cheaper than the high street anyway,
    > assuming you can find anyone that knows the difference :)

    It probably just means it comes with a UK mains adapter, mine came with
    an adapter where you can slot on either a UK plug or Euro plug.

    NA/UK/EU/SA/ZA will all be the same product, it will just be the mains
    adapter that may differ.

    For the couple of pound you might as well get the RJ11 adapter.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 4, 2006
  10. PajaP

    paul hayes Guest

    PajaP wrote:
    > On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 22:00:40 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Thus spaketh PajaP:
    >>> What is peoples preferred ATA to use with the sipgate service?
    >>>

    >> As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with, this
    >> offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

    > This looks like a prime candidate for me.
    > I am considering changing my PSTN service for one that does not allow
    > outgoing calls so I guess I may not need all the features of the
    > SPA3000. Only concern here would be sipgate having a long period of
    > downtime.
    > broadbandstuff.co.uk say they have "genuine UK stock". Would this mean
    > I do not need the RJ11 Adapter?

    It just means it comes with a UK power supply. All the Linksys adaptors
    come with RJ-11 (US style) phone connectors. I suppose it would be far
    too much effort and expense to change the connectors for BT-style ones
    since it would mean altering the internal circuit board and even the
    outer casing.

    It's worth just paying the couple of quid for the RJ-11 - BT adaptor so
    you know your phone will work properly.

    cheers,
    Paul.
    paul hayes, Jul 4, 2006
  11. PajaP

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:57:35 GMT, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

    >NA/UK/EU/SA/ZA will all be the same product, it will just be the mains
    >adapter that may differ.

    I *think* that they all actually report themselves as NA in the web interface.
    I queried it on the one I had briefly and Broadbandstuff said they do. The box
    clearly said PAP2UK and had, as someone else posted, a slide-on UK plug top.

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Jul 4, 2006
  12. Thus spaketh Dave Saville:
    > On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:57:35 GMT, {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    >

    >> NA/UK/EU/SA/ZA will all be the same product, it will just be the
    >> mains adapter that may differ.

    > I *think* that they all actually report themselves as NA in the web
    > interface. I queried it on the one I had briefly and Broadbandstuff
    > said they do. The box clearly said PAP2UK and had, as someone else
    > posted, a slide-on UK plug top.

    Yeah, I think they do. Mine states NA on the interface, it was bought
    from Broadbandbuyer, though at the time it was displayed as a PAP2-NA,
    this came with the slide on UK and Euro plug. From what I have seen and
    read the UK/EU model is the NA just with a different slide on plug
    provided, as are the other country variants.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 4, 2006
  13. PajaP

    Doehead Guest

    > As I have no PTSN, I have a LinkSys PAP2 that I am very happy with, this
    > offers two VoIP lines, one of which I use Sipgate on.

    Have you managed to get touch tone DTMF to work with the PAP2 and sipgate? I
    have the same setup but this doesn't work for me. However, I've no idea if
    it's a config setting thing I need to change, or whether it's just something
    sipgate don't support (which I doubt).

    If it *is* just a configuration setting, does anyone know what it is? I've
    changed very little from the defaults. Just whatever was required to get UK
    ring tones I think. And the dialling rules.

    I know it's not the phone. That's about the only thing I can be sure of :)
    Doehead, Jul 4, 2006
  14. PajaP

    Mr Woo Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 17:31:01 +0100, "Doehead" <> wrote:

    >If it *is* just a configuration setting, does anyone know what it is? I've
    >changed very little from the defaults. Just whatever was required to get UK
    >ring tones I think. And the dialling rules.

    On the 'line 1' page of the advanced and administrator configuration
    options set :-

    DTMF Tx Method to InBand.
    Mr Woo, Jul 4, 2006
  15. PajaP

    PajaP Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 09:37:34 +0100 (BST), "Dave Saville"
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 07:32:50 +0100, PajaP wrote:
    >>broadbandstuff.co.uk say they have "genuine UK stock". Would this mean
    >>I do not need the RJ11 Adapter?

    >No you still need the adapter *with* ring circuit. - *some* phones ring without
    >it but you may as well order one at the same time under the same shipping cost
    >- Cheaper than the high street anyway, assuming you can find anyone that knows
    >the difference :)

    OK, thanks. When I have made my decision on which hardware to buy I
    will make sure I order the adapter too.

    I have just got all the headers in the group going back to early May
    (rather than the few hundred I previously got). I now see there are
    umpteen threads similar to this one (asking for recommendations for
    ATA's etc). Going to read some of these before I make my decision.

    My choice now is between the PAP2 and the SPA2002.
    Hopefully, time permitting I will be able to make an informed choice
    this evening and order my choice as soon as I have.

    --
    Thanks
    PajaP
    PajaP, Jul 4, 2006
  16. PajaP

    PajaP Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 21:07:36 +0100, PajaP <>
    wrote:

    >My choice now is between the PAP2 and the SPA2002.
    >Hopefully, time permitting I will be able to make an informed choice
    >this evening and order my choice as soon as I have.

    Well I cannot see any difference between the PAP2 and the SPA2002
    except the SPA2002 is a little more expensive.
    I am going to place an order for the PAP2 with broadbandbuyer.co.uk.

    --
    Thx
    PajaP
    PajaP, Jul 4, 2006
  17. PajaP

    wrote:

    > Only concern here would be sipgate having a long period of
    >downtime.

    You can always sign up with a second voip service as a standby.
    Wouldn't help with incoming calls, though.
    , Jul 5, 2006
  18. PajaP

    Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 13:47:45 +0100 (BST), "Dave Saville"
    <> wrote:

    >I *think* that they all actually report themselves as NA in the web interface.
    >I queried it on the one I had briefly and Broadbandstuff said they do. The box
    >clearly said PAP2UK and had, as someone else posted, a slide-on UK plug top.

    Mine too, but all the dial and ring tones were US ones, and I had to
    change them to UK noises.
    , Jul 5, 2006
  19. PajaP

    Doehead Guest

    "Mr Woo" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 17:31:01 +0100, "Doehead" <> wrote:
    >
    >>If it *is* just a configuration setting, does anyone know what it is? I've
    >>changed very little from the defaults. Just whatever was required to get
    >>UK
    >>ring tones I think. And the dialling rules.

    > On the 'line 1' page of the advanced and administrator configuration
    > options set :-
    >
    > DTMF Tx Method to InBand.

    Excellent :)
    Many thanks.

    It doesn't appear to work with sipgate's 50000 voicemail though? (not that
    I'm bothered).
    Doehead, Jul 5, 2006
  20. Thus spaketh Doehead:
    > "Mr Woo" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 17:31:01 +0100, "Doehead" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If it *is* just a configuration setting, does anyone know what it
    >>> is? I've changed very little from the defaults. Just whatever was
    >>> required to get UK
    >>> ring tones I think. And the dialling rules.

    >> On the 'line 1' page of the advanced and administrator configuration
    >> options set :-
    >>
    >> DTMF Tx Method to InBand.

    > Excellent :)
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > It doesn't appear to work with sipgate's 50000 voicemail though? (not
    > that I'm bothered).

    Works fine for me.
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 5, 2006