    anything in here and it would pass it on to the server.

    --
    Perfection requires a high tolerance for boredom.

    Peter H.M. Brooks, Aug 3, 2005

  2. Peter H.M. Brooks

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:00:11 +0200, in message
     <dcqpmc$g6u$>, Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:

    > I've installed preferential 0.7.1 into Thunderbird 1.0.6. I've made a
    > number of changes to things and they don't seem to have any effect!
    >
    > I've exited Thunderbird, run it again, and checked that the preferential
    > setting is as I'd expect it, but it doesn't take.
    >
    > The example I've been using has been to set:
    >
    > mailnews.customHeaders X-No-Archive: yes
    >
    > This still is set, but, as you'll see in this posting, the X field isn't
    > set in the post.
    >
    > Do I have to enable something else? I was rather hoping that I could put
    > anything in here and it would pass it on to the server.

    An RTFM problem, or actually two RTFM problems

    1. Wrong preference name

    "mailnews.customHeaders" is the preference name for
    additional inbound email headers to filter on.

    It is not the preference name for additional
    outbound headers to add to messages you send.

    Go take a look at
    Tools -> Message Filters -> (email account) -> New
    then pull down the first drop-down list which lists the
    headers you can filter on (first header listed is "Subject").
    Near the bottom, just above the "Customize...", you will see
    the two headers which you added, "X-No-Archive" and "yes".

    2. Wrong preference value

    The value of the preference should be a list
    of header names, and only header names.
    You cannot set the header value, e.g. "yes",
    in the preference setting.

    2.1 For the outbound headers to add to your messages,
    the preference value is a comma-separated list of
    header names. For example,

    X-Face,X-No-Archive

    You add the values from the message composition window,
    like you would add a "To", "Cc" or "Bcc" address.
    Click on the down-arrow to the left of "To" to see any
    custom outbound headers which you have added to the
    _correct_ preference (which is not "mailnews.customHeaders").

    2.2 For the inbound email headers to filter on, the
    preference value is a colon-separated list of header
    names. For example,

    To:Received:Content-Type

    You add the values from the "Filter Rules" window.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    You don't win wars by dying for your country.
    You win by making the other poor bastard die for his country.

    Ralph Fox, Aug 6, 2005