    how ?
    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike, Jul 13, 2007

  2. "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Tomorrow I'll be staying in a hotel that provides wireless connectivity.
    > What precautions should I take to prevent any possible intrusion into my
    > laptop ?
    > Also, should I disable my WEP key, the one I use at home to connect to the
    > router ? If so, how ?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Your WEP key is only used to connect to your home wireless router. Don't
    disable that or delete that unless you plan on not connecting at home again.
    FYI, using WPA2/WPA at home is much safer and highly recommended. WEP is
    very insecure and easily hacked.

    Make sure you do run a software firewall on your laptop like the Windows
    Firewall or a third-party firewall like ZoneAlarm, etc. I recommend setting
    those for "No exceptions" and the laptop is set to NOT connect automatically
    to open networks. See the last part of this page for examples.

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/SoHoWirelessSecurity.html

    As far as email is concerned if your personal ISP provides a web mail
    interface that uses SSL use that. A SSL link is encrypted. Otherwise you can
    safely check email using the Mail2Web service which is free. Note you need a
    POP3 type account with your ISP to use this.

    https://www.mail2web.com/cgi-bin/login.asp?lid=0&il=1

    Beyond that use prudence when connecting to strange networks. Generally
    hotel networks, restaurants, etc are OK. Don't connect to someone's open
    residential network for example. It comes down to common sense, IMHO..

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jul 13, 2007

  3. Mike

    Barb Bowman Guest

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/wifizone/ar...bolster-wireless-security-away-from-home.aspx

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 13, 2007
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks, Al, very helpful.
    One thing though : I used Web2mail to check my mail and I could actually retrieve it,
    despite it being an IMAP-type account and not POP3. How's that ?

    Mike

    Mike, Jul 13, 2007
  5. "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Al, very helpful.
    > One thing though : I used Web2mail to check my mail and I could actually
    > retrieve it, despite it being an IMAP-type account and not POP3. How's
    > that ?
    >
    > Mike

    I guess my mistake. I always understood you needed a POP3 versus an IMAP
    account. You have proven otherwise. Thanks..

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jul 13, 2007