    date was always correct. I installed the trial late feb. 2005. I corrected
    the date yesterday and then when I went to boot up for the first time today,
    it gave me the message to buy a retail version my trial expired. TIA
    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 3, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Your trial was not for 1 year, it is a 120 day trial. I don't remember when
    the download was available, but if you downloaded it in early May, it would
    have expired for real.

    John Barnes, Sep 3, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    Rick Guest

    tony2020 wrote:
    > My xp64 trial ended 6 months early (supposed to be for a year). How can I
    > restore it without having to reinstall? What could have caused this? The
    > only out of the ordinary thing I noticed was that yesterday my calendar was
    > displaying June 1 2005 instead of Sep. 1 2005. Prior to that, however, the
    > date was always correct. I installed the trial late feb. 2005. I corrected
    > the date yesterday and then when I went to boot up for the first time today,
    > it gave me the message to buy a retail version my trial expired. TIA

    You don't have a "Trial" version of XP x64 - you probably have RC2
    (Release Candidate 2), which legally expired on Monday, April 25, 22005,
    when Microsoft officially released the final OEM version of XP x64.

    The reason it 'expired' early is because you made a date change that was
    significant enough to cause the OS to expire.

    Go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx
    and sign up for the true Trial version that is only good for 120 days.
    Rick, Sep 3, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    Rick Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > tony2020 wrote:
    >
    >> My xp64 trial ended 6 months early (supposed to be for a year). How
    >> can I restore it without having to reinstall? What could have caused
    >> this? The only out of the ordinary thing I noticed was that yesterday
    >> my calendar was displaying June 1 2005 instead of Sep. 1 2005. Prior
    >> to that, however, the date was always correct. I installed the trial
    >> late feb. 2005. I corrected the date yesterday and then when I went
    >> to boot up for the first time today, it gave me the message to buy a
    >> retail version my trial expired. TIA

    > You don't have a "Trial" version of XP x64 - you probably have RC2
    > (Release Candidate 2), which legally expired on Monday, April 25, 2005,
    > when Microsoft officially released the final OEM version of XP x64.
    >
    > The reason it 'expired' early is because you made a date change that was
    > significant enough to cause the OS to expire.
    >
    > Go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/trial.mspx
    > and sign up for the true Trial version that is only good for 120 days.

    Typo correction, my keyboard stuttered on the year - 22005 vs 2005.
    Rick, Sep 3, 2005
  5. Yes, it was RC2, but seems I recall it was good for 360 days. Anyways, if
    I install this 120 day trial, will I be able to do that without it erasing my
    files on the computer? If not, how can I get those backed up? Could I also
    reinstall the RC2 and save my files? At this point, that is my primary goal.
    Worst case, could I install normal XP without the files being lost? Also, I
    did try to change the date back in the bios, but that didn't help. TIA

    =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=, Sep 3, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    Rick Guest

    tony2020 wrote:
    > Yes, it was RC2, but seems I recall it was good for 360 days. Anyways, if
    > I install this 120 day trial, will I be able to do that without it erasing my
    > files on the computer? If not, how can I get those backed up? Could I also
    > reinstall the RC2 and save my files? At this point, that is my primary goal.
    > Worst case, could I install normal XP without the files being lost? Also, I
    > did try to change the date back in the bios, but that didn't help. TIA

    Depending on what the files are, you might be able to install XP 32-bit
    on a separate drive and access the files when booted into XP 32-bit.

    Although it is neither recommended nor supported, you could probably
    download the Trial version and do a "repair install" just to copy the
    data off you're interested in. Then you should completely erase that
    installation and do a clean installation. RC2 still had Beta files and
    the Trial version has all RTM files.

    It has been suggested that you can actually "upgrade" from the Trail
    version to the OEM version doing a "repair install" but I have no
    experience doing this.
    Rick, Sep 3, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    GregRo Guest

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:06:54 -0400, Rick <> wrote:

    >tony2020 wrote:
    >> Yes, it was RC2, but seems I recall it was good for 360 days. Anyways, if
    >> I install this 120 day trial, will I be able to do that without it erasing my
    >> files on the computer? If not, how can I get those backed up? Could I also
    >> reinstall the RC2 and save my files? At this point, that is my primary goal.
    >> Worst case, could I install normal XP without the files being lost? Also, I
    >> did try to change the date back in the bios, but that didn't help. TIA
    >>

    >Depending on what the files are, you might be able to install XP 32-bit
    >on a separate drive and access the files when booted into XP 32-bit.
    >
    >Although it is neither recommended nor supported, you could probably
    >download the Trial version and do a "repair install" just to copy the
    >data off you're interested in. Then you should completely erase that
    >installation and do a clean installation. RC2 still had Beta files and
    >the Trial version has all RTM files.
    >
    >It has been suggested that you can actually "upgrade" from the Trail
    >version to the OEM version doing a "repair install" but I have no
    >experience doing this.

    He should of been warned that his system was set to expire

    I don't use 64bit system. I have read that rc was for one year.

    Greg Ro
    GregRo, Sep 4, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?dG9ueTIwMjA=?=

    Rick Guest

    GregRo wrote:
    > He should of been warned that his system was set to expire
    >
    > I don't use 64bit system. I have read that rc was for one year.
    >

    > Greg Ro

    The reason he wasn't warned is because he made such a drastic date
    correction. This fact has been posted numerous time.

    Although the RC2 package has a "time bomb" that is supposed to be quiet
    for 1 year, the license to use RC2 states that it is no longer a valid
    license when the final version of the OS is released - the final version
    was released on Monday, April 25, 2005. So, to be in full compliance of
    the license, and it is legally enforceable, RC2 expired on Monday, April
    25, 2005.

    This has been pointed out numerous times in this forum. What don't you
    understand?
    Rick, Sep 4, 2005