    follow and I am somewhat new to this. Does anyone know where I can find
    step by setp instruction on how to do this. Thanks,

    -Larry

    Larry, Aug 16, 2006

  2. Larry

    Gary Guest

    Larry wrote:

    > I am trying to provide users with a VPN client disk with host and password
    > pre-configured. I searched Cisco's website and found instructions to create
    > a silent install disk to give to users. However, this kind of dificult to
    > follow and I am somewhat new to this. Does anyone know where I can find
    > step by setp instruction on how to do this. Thanks,

    I'll assume you're referring to the Windows installer since the Mac
    customization is trivial by comparison. First, you'll want to download
    Orca.msi and install it. You can get it by installing the Microsoft
    Installer SDK or using this old version archived here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2004/07/12/180792.aspx

    Once you have the VPN client's .msi extracted, load it in to Orca and
    start making changes. I figured it out mostly by trial and error but found
    the following links somewhat useful, esp. the first Cisco page:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a008022f999.shtml
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...nistration_guide_chapter09186a00802d3ac2.html

    Just ignore the whole bit in the 2nd Cisco link where they talk about
    creating an oem.ini, etc. I used the following tools to create a
    self-extracting archive and custom icon for my final setup.exe.

    http://www.7-zip.org/
    http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm
    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=39048

    The msistub.exe on the message board above solved a lot of problems. Also
    see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905/EN-US/ and do various searches
    for Orca.msi and Orca.exe via google and Microsoft's site.

    -Gary

    Gary, Aug 16, 2006