Prblm: Radius, WLAN, roaming profiles and software install via group policies

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ola Theander, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. Ola Theander

    Ola Theander Guest

    Dear subscribers

    I've just added a WLAN-router to allow wireless access to our network. The
    thing is that I have some initial problems that doesn't apply when we
    connect by wire and I hope that I can get some help here.

    Problem 1)

    We distribute software using AD's group policies and unfortunately some of
    the software we have must be installed using a group policy assigned to the
    computer instead of a user, in this case AutoCAD 2004. We prefer to install
    using user assigned policies but according to Autodesk the software must be
    installed by a computer assigned GP.

    The thing is that since we use Radius to authenticate to the WLAN-router the
    network is not accessible until an actual user logs on and by that time the
    computer assigned software doesn't initiate an install. Is there any
    workaround to this problem?

    Problem 2)

    We also use roaming profiles which allows the user to log in on an arbitrary
    computer and still have their documents and preferred environment
    configuration accessible. The roaming profile configuration maps the "My
    Documents" folder, Desktop and "Application Data" folder to a file server
    instead of the local computer. This means that when the user logs off the
    computer a synchronization sequence is initiated to copy the documents to
    the assigned file server. The problem is that when this is done over the
    WLAN it seems like the network connection is prematurely terminated, i.e.
    before the synchronization is finished. This in turn means that the
    synchronization fails and the user gets an annoying error message at each
    log off and the files are not copied to the file server for backup and
    roaming purposes.

    I realize that I may have to resort to using WEP or WPA instead of Radius to
    resolve these issues but before I do that I want to see if there is any
    possible to solve them while still using Radius.

    Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

    Kind regards, Ola Theander
    Ola Theander, Sep 8, 2004