PRB: WinXp x64 upgrade to Vista x64

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBEcmFub2Zm?=, Dec 28, 2006.

  1. I appologize for posting to vsnet.general but it was the only group in the
    MSDN managed newsgroup that I thought someone might have encountered this
    problem... and i am crossposting it to microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

    I am trying to upgrade Windows XP x64 to Vista EE x64

    1) while attempting the upgrade, Vista told me "The upgrade cannot be
    started. To upgrade, you must be running Winsows XP with Service Pack 2
    (SP2), or Windows Vista".

    2) so i went looking for sp2 for xp x64 and found this:

    Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 x64 Edition Release Candidat
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...44-96B3-4D11-9293-12970CD62FED&displaylang=en
    Overview
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) Release Candidate (RC) is
    a cumulative service pack that provides the latest updates, security and
    stability enhancements, in addition to new features, feature updates and
    utility updates to the Windows Server 2003 operating system. SP2 helps secure
    your server and improve system reliability, security, and stability thereby
    ensuring the highest level of readiness to meet the ever increasing demands
    of today’s server operating systems.
    Windows Server 2003 SP2 can be installed directly on the following operating
    systems:
    Windows Server 2003 Editions (All 32-bit x86)
    Windows Server 2003 Itanium-based Editions
    Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions
    Windows Server 2003 R2 Editions
    Windows Server 2003 Storage Server R2 Edition
    Windows Server 2003 Compute Cluster Edition
    Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

    You can get specific information on the updates contained in the service
    pack in the knowledgebase article KB914962

    2) I installed the sp2 for win2003 x64 sp2 rc since that is the only
    service pack 2 for xp x64

    3) I get the same message from vista:

    "The upgrade cannot be started. To upgrade, you must be running Winsows XP
    with Service Pack 2 (SP2), or Windows Vista".

    Has anyone upgraded XPx64 to Vista x64?

    -Mark Dranoff
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBEcmFub2Zm?=, Dec 28, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBEcmFub2Zm?=

    Jane C Guest

    Re: WinXp x64 upgrade to Vista x64

    It is not a supported upgrade path. x64 Vista must be clean installed only.
    Users of XP x64 qualify for upgrade pricing, but an actual upgrade is not
    permitted.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx Although EE
    is not mentioned there, the same would hold true. Clean install via Custom
    Install option.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Dec 28, 2006

  3. Re: WinXp x64 upgrade to Vista x64

    The SP2 referred to is XP SP2 (32bit). The SP2 for x64 is indeed still in
    release candidate and would not help you in your scenario. The SP2 for XP
    Pro x64 is the same package as the standalone for Server 2003 SP2. There is
    not a separate one just for XP Pro x64. In any case, don't use it.

    In fact an upgrade-in-place is not an option when migrating from XP Pro x64
    to Vista x64. You can only use the custom install option. That means you
    must use a migration methodology. Use the Windows Easy Transfer wizard in
    XP Pro x64 to save you files and settings to intermediate storage and then
    install Vista. Reinstall your apps and restore your files and settings with
    the WET wizard.

    If you are using an MSDN license then you are using a full edition of Vista.
    Simply do a classic clean installation by formatting the drive first. You
    can do this with the Vista dvd by booting the computer, starting Setup,
    navigating the initial screens, and using the Advanced Options/Format to
    format the target drive before starting the installation. The Advanced
    Options are on the right of the screen just below the list of available
    volumes in Setup. If you start Setup from the XP Pro x64 desktop you will
    not have the Advanced Options and cannot format. Custom install does not
    format the drive for you unless the target is a raw partition.

    The upgrade functionality of full editions of Vista is disablef when the
    legacy OS is Win2k, XP Pro x64, or any edition of XP 32bit which would
    result in reduced functionality if upgraded to Vista (for example, XP Pro
    SP2 to Vista Home Premium would be an upgrade that would result in reduced
    functionality and is therefore disabled).

    You can see this on the Upgrade Matrix on Get Ready:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx

    I hope this helps.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 28, 2006