Practise Tests From MCSA/MCSE Microsoft Training Kit. Does Anyone Else Find Faulty Questions?

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by CJH, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. CJH

    CJH Guest

    I'm currently taking the tests that come with the MS training kit in study
    mode and two of the questions I've come across are very poorly worded.

    Here's an example (paraphrased for brevity):

    QUESTION
    Admin shuts down stand alone servers to install hardware. When servers come
    up, the Add New Hardware wizard appears. Admin goes through wizard, but
    process fails because driver cannot be installed. Admin looks at Driver
    Signing settings in System properties. Driver signing setting is set to
    Block with other options dimmed. Admin wants to install unsigned driver.
    What action should he/she take?

    ANSWERS (select all that apply)
    a) Admin should reconfigure domain GPO and set Unsigned Driver Installation
    Behavior policy to Warn But Allow Installation.
    b) Admin should reconfigure the GPO applied to the OU that the servers are
    members of and set the Unsigned Driver Installation Behavior policy to Warn
    But Allow Installation.
    c) Admin should check the Administrator Option/Make This Action The System
    Default check box in the Driver Signing Options dialog box, accessible from
    the System Properties. This will enable her to switch the option from Block
    to Warn
    d) Admin should reconfigure the local GPO and set the Unsigned Driver
    Installation Behavior policy to Warn but Allow Installation.
    e) Admin should reconfigure the GPO assigned to the site that the servers
    are set up in and set the Unsigned Driver Installation Behavior policy to
    Warn But Allow Installation.

    Based on what I saw on my test server set up, I chose d) only. I went back
    and specifically checked: you do NOT have to check the Administrator
    Option/Make This Action... setting to switch from Block to Warn.

    Here's what I want to know

    1) Has anyone worked with the practice tests from the MS kit? If so, have
    you found poorly worded (or incorrect) questions such as this?
    2) Are poorly worded questions like this on the actual exams? If so, is
    there any way to contest if you fail because of several poorly worded
    questions?
    CJH, Dec 28, 2005

  2. CJH

    felipecpv Guest

    RE: Practise Tests From MCSA/MCSE Microsoft Training Kit. Does Anyone

    > Here's what I want to know
    >
    > 1) Has anyone worked with the practice tests from the MS kit? If so, have
    > you found poorly worded (or incorrect) questions such as this?
    > 2) Are poorly worded questions like this on the actual exams? If so, is
    > there any way to contest if you fail because of several poorly worded
    > questions?

    Hi dude.

    Yes, some questions are just bad designed as this one and I can say more,
    you can expect graphical questions as well and with a bad design too. Don't
    expect to have any feed back on that, I've tried many times.

    I'd also choose answer C, it looks the correct one for me. What is the
    correct answer as per MS kit?

    Answers A, B and E talk about GPO, but in the very beggining of the
    question, it says the server is stand alone.
    Answer D directs to local GPO, but I've never found that option actually,
    have you?

    --
    ! Pau no cú dos viadinhos do MCNGP, são uns filhos da puta que estão aqui só
    pra criticar !
    felipecpv, Dec 29, 2005

  3. CJH

    CJH Guest

    Re: Practise Tests From MCSA/MCSE Microsoft Training Kit. Does Anyone

    > Hi dude.

    Actually, I'm not a dude.

    > Yes, some questions are just bad designed as this one and I can say more,
    > you can expect graphical questions as well and with a bad design too.
    > Don't
    > expect to have any feed back on that, I've tried many times.
    >
    > I'd also choose answer C, it looks the correct one for me. What is the
    > correct answer as per MS kit?

    Actually, the answer is C AND D. Both answers are correct.

    > Answers A, B and E talk about GPO, but in the very beggining of the
    > question, it says the server is stand alone.
    > Answer D directs to local GPO, but I've never found that option actually,
    > have you?

    I have. You run gpedit.msc and you can edit the local group policy object.

    CJH, Dec 29, 2005
  4. Some of the questions do stink, but as we find that a vendor is creating bad
    questions, we don't use them anymore, so the quality of the questions are
    getting better and will continue to get better. We also do have the author
    review the questions, but reading that many questions in a short time is
    tedious (I cna say from experience), and some bad questions slip through.

    For this question though, I like it. If someone did not select A, B, and E,
    then they know that there is a domain-based policy and the three places they
    can be applied are at the domain, OU, or Site, and would likely (hopefully)
    know the order of application (very important to troubleshooting group
    policy problems). C and D are both valid options, so if the person does not
    know which is correct, then they could experiment and find out, and in the
    process get more time with the interface and group policy, and learn
    something that will be useful once they go to work.

    With our exams, the questions are written to cover a number of areas of
    knowledge, so this question is a good representation of what you need to
    know.
    My 2c only,

    Andy Ruth
    Microsoft Learning

    rights.

    Andy Ruth [MSFT], Dec 29, 2005
  5. CJH

    "Andy Ruth [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Some of the questions do stink, but as we find that a vendor is creating bad
    > questions, we don't use them anymore, so the quality of the questions are
    > getting better and will continue to get better. We also do have the author
    > review the questions, but reading that many questions in a short time is
    > tedious (I cna say from experience), and some bad questions slip through.
    >
    > For this question though, I like it. If someone did not select A, B, and E,
    > then they know that there is a domain-based policy and the three places they
    > can be applied are at the domain, OU, or Site, and would likely (hopefully)
    > know the order of application (very important to troubleshooting group
    > policy problems). C and D are both valid options, so if the person does not
    > know which is correct, then they could experiment and find out, and in the
    > process get more time with the interface and group policy, and learn
    > something that will be useful once they go to work.
    >
    > With our exams, the questions are written to cover a number of areas of
    > knowledge, so this question is a good representation of what you need to
    > know.
    > My 2c only,

    Agreed. Myself selected only answer C, but I see D is also correct after
    testing the option.
    I like the way the exams are designed but some ones, mainly the graphic
    ones, are badly done... The coolest and most exciting was 70-216, killed in
    the 1st shoot :)

    --
    ! Pau no cú dos viadinhos do MCNGP, são uns filhos da puta que estão aqui só
    pra criticar e não ajudam a galera !
    felipecpv, Dec 29, 2005
  6. CJH

    felipecpv Guest

    Re: Practise Tests From MCSA/MCSE Microsoft Training Kit. Does An

    I'm sorry then Mis and agree that D is also correct, I just tested it :)

    felipecpv, Dec 29, 2005
  7. Re: Practise Tests From MCSA/MCSE Microsoft Training Kit. Does An

    Good for you! Good luck on the other exams!

    Andy Ruth
    Microsoft Learning

    rights.

    Andy Ruth [MSFT], Dec 29, 2005
  8. CJH

    CJH Guest

    Re: Practise Tests From MCSA/MCSE Microsoft Training Kit. Does An

    I posted this to another group, but I just wanted to note here that c) is
    NOT a valid option, as you do not have to check the Administrative Option in
    order to switch from Block to Warn.
    I tested it on my 2003 domain controller and you do not have to check that
    option in order to make the switch.

    CJH, Dec 29, 2005