    Has anyone else used this practice test and noticed any wrong answers?

    Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael, Mar 9, 2007

  2. Post the question with the answers provided and lets take a look at it.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 9, 2007

  3. Michael

    catwalker63 Guest

    Michael piffled away vaguely:

    > I'm studying for the 70-290 exam and am using the Readiness Review Suite
    > provided with the MSPress text book.
    >
    > There is a question relating to security which I am sure is wrong.
    >
    > Has anyone else used this practice test and noticed any wrong answers?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Michael

    Have you checked the errata for the book you are using?
    --

    Catwalker
    aka Pu$$y Feet
    catwalker63, Mar 9, 2007
  4. Michael

    Michael Guest

    The question is quite long. The basic part I believe is wrong is the
    following quote from the explanation:

    "The Modify permission does not include the Delete Subfolders and Files
    permission, so permanent employees cannot delete files form the Progress
    folder. "

    When I try this out the modify permissions for the parent folder get
    inherited to all subfolders so......permanent employees can delete files in
    subfolders.

    So requirement 6 would be incorrect.

    - Here's the questions with explanation -

    A group of temporary employees has been hired by the Marketing department to
    ramp up for an advertising campaign.

    The employees have Active Directory Accounts that have been added to the
    Temps domain global group.

    The Temps domain global group has been added to the AdCampaign domain local
    group.

    The Marketing domain global group is also a member of the AdCampaign group.

    The AdCampaign group has been granted Modify permission on the
    PrintMaterials folder.

    The PrintMaterials folder has three subfolders: Final, Review, and Progress.

    The VP of Marketing is concerned that files might be accidentally placed in
    the wrong folders, deleted, or modified after they have been approved. She
    states that just yesterday, she found a file that had not been edited in the
    Final folder. She has outlined the following access requirements:

    -Both permanent and temporary employees should be able to add files to the
    Progress folder.

    -Both permanent and temporary employees should be able to change files in
    the Progress folder.

    -Both permanent and temporary employees should be able to add files to the
    Review folder.

    -No employees can delete files from the Final folder.

    -No employees can delete files from the Review folder.

    -Only permanent employees can delete files from the Progress folder.

    -Only permanent employees should be able to add files to the Final folder.

    -Only permanent employees should be able to change files in the Review
    folder.

    You add the following special permissions to the Progress folder and select
    to apply the permission to all subfolders and files:

    -Allow AdCampaign Create Files / Write Data

    -Allow AdCampaign Create Folders/ Append Data

    You add the following special permissions to the Review folder and select to
    apply the permission to all subfolders and files:

    -Allow AdCampaign Create Files / Write Data

    -Allow Marketing Create Folders/ Append Data

    You add the following special permissions to the Final folder and select to
    apply the permission to all subfolders and files:

    -Allow Marketing Create Files / Write Data

    -Allow Marketing Create Folders/ Append Data

    Which of the requirements are met by your solution?
    1. >>Both permanent and temporary employees can add files to the Progress
    folder. <Correct>
    2. No employees can delete files from the Review folder. <Correct>
    3. Only permanent employees can add files to the Final folder.
    4. Only permanent employees can change files in the Review folder.
    5. Only permanent employees can delete files from the Progress folder.
    <Correct>
    6. No employees can delete files from the Final folder. <Correct>
    7. Both permanent and temporary employees can add files to the Review
    folder. <Correct>
    8. Both permanent and temporary employees can change files in the Progress
    folder. <Correct>

    Explanation:

    The parent folder has the Modify permission assigned to the AdCampaign
    group. By default, these permissions will propagate to the child folders and
    files. Therefore, even without the explicit permissions, both temporary and
    permanent employees will be able to add files to the Progress folder.

    The Modify permission includes the ability to change existing files, so both
    permanent and temporary employees will be able to change files in the
    Progress folder.

    The Modify permission will also propagate to the Review folder, so both
    temporary and permanent employees can change files in the Progress folder.

    The Modify permission does not include the Delete Subfolders and Files
    permission, so no employees can delete files from the Final folder.

    The Modify permission does not include the Delete Subfolders and Files
    permission, so no employees can delete files from the Review folder.

    The Modify permission does not include the Delete Subfolders and Files
    permission, so permanent employees cannot delete files form the Progress
    folder.

    The inherited Modify permission allows all members of AdCampaign, including
    those in Temps, to add files to the Final folder.

    The inherited Modify permission allows all members of AdCampaign, including
    those in Temps, to change files in the Review folder.
    Michael, Mar 9, 2007
  5. Michael

    Tyler Cobb Guest

    I've noticed several statements and questions in the MS Press books that are
    inaccurate. I've also noticed inaccuracies in just about any technical book
    about operating systems and computers in general. It's nothing new. However,
    in answer to your question, you're right. The book is also partially right.
    The Modify permission doesn't include the Delete Subfolders and Files
    permission, but it DOES include the Delete permission which is why the user
    accounts can blow away any of those files and folders.

    Tyler Cobb, MCP

    Tyler Cobb, Mar 9, 2007
  6. Michael

    Michael Guest