    reliable as Sandisk?

    thx in adv
    , Feb 7, 2007

  2. Ed Ruf Guest

    On 7 Feb 2007 08:16:11 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >I am buying a new camera kit (Nikon D200 plus 18-200 lens and 10.5
    >wide angle for panoramic photography). I need to get CF cards.
    >
    >The Sandisk Ultra II seems to be the recommended one with the speed to
    >write images quickly, but the PQI CF cards are significantly less
    >expensive, with about the same speed.
    >
    >Will I be happy with the PQI or should I pay the extra money for the
    >Sandisk Ultra II? Are speeds roughly equal? Are PQI CF cards as
    >reliable as Sandisk?

    What are you going to be shooting? Are you going to be shooting
    things at sustained high frame rate that will fill in th in camera
    buffer? If not then the in camera speed is not important to you. The
    other avenue to consider speed is when transferring the images to your
    PC, particularly when shooting uncompressed NEF which are around 10MB
    in size. See the link below for some speed ratings. FWIW, I use SD
    Ultra II in my D70, and Extreme III in my D200.

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8197
    -
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf, Feb 7, 2007

  3. Guest

    Ed-

    I will be shooting primarily panoramic photos, ordinary landscape/
    nature photography, plus now I am interested in bird photography, so
    speed might be important for that.
    , Feb 7, 2007
  4. Cgiorgio Guest

    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >I am buying a new camera kit (Nikon D200 plus 18-200 lens and 10.5
    > wide angle for panoramic photography). I need to get CF cards.
    >
    > The Sandisk Ultra II seems to be the recommended one with the speed to
    > write images quickly, but the PQI CF cards are significantly less
    > expensive, with about the same speed.
    >
    > Will I be happy with the PQI or should I pay the extra money for the
    > Sandisk Ultra II? Are speeds roughly equal? Are PQI CF cards as
    > reliable as Sandisk?
    >
    > thx in adv

    The D 200 has a fairly large RAM buffer for 25 or more frames, which makes
    card write speed really unimportant for most situations, I would go for PQI
    and rather buy more capacity for the same money.
    Cgiorgio, Feb 7, 2007
  5. Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:55:44 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Cgiorgio"
    <> wrote:

    ><> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>I am buying a new camera kit (Nikon D200 plus 18-200 lens and 10.5
    >> wide angle for panoramic photography). I need to get CF cards.
    >>
    >> The Sandisk Ultra II seems to be the recommended one with the speed to
    >> write images quickly, but the PQI CF cards are significantly less
    >> expensive, with about the same speed.
    >>
    >> Will I be happy with the PQI or should I pay the extra money for the
    >> Sandisk Ultra II? Are speeds roughly equal? Are PQI CF cards as
    >> reliable as Sandisk?
    >>

    >The D 200 has a fairly large RAM buffer for 25 or more frames, which makes
    >card write speed really unimportant for most situations, I would go for PQI
    >and rather buy more capacity for the same money.

    A little more complicated than that. Details can be found on p. 196
    of the fine manual. The 25 number is the max displayed when shooting
    to jpeg. If you shoot NEF or combined NEF+JPEG it will be lower.

    -
    Ed Ruf ()
    Ed Ruf, Feb 7, 2007
  6. Warren Block Guest

    <> wrote:
    > I am buying a new camera kit (Nikon D200 plus 18-200 lens and 10.5
    > wide angle for panoramic photography). I need to get CF cards.
    >
    > The Sandisk Ultra II seems to be the recommended one with the speed to
    > write images quickly, but the PQI CF cards are significantly less
    > expensive, with about the same speed.

    The price difference on 4G PQI "100X" versus Sandisk CF Ultra II cards
    is about $40-$60.

    That's around 2% of the price of the camera and lenses.

    Sandisk is the industry leader, known to perform. PQI... well:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16820141054

    Seems like if you're spending that much on a camera to get good photos,
    it's worth paying 2% more for a quality card to store them.

    Warren Block, Feb 7, 2007
  7. Guest

    I only saw one negative comment on the pqi card. I have had only one
    CF go bad on me, a Viking 512mb card, and i have owned a number of CF
    cards all of which (other than the Viking) had no problems.

    I ordered the pqi, I will use it a lot while I get used to my D200,
    hopefully if there are any issues I will find out before I shoot
    Important Stuff.
    , Feb 7, 2007
  8. ray Guest

    On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 08:16:11 -0800, rynato wrote:

    > I am buying a new camera kit (Nikon D200 plus 18-200 lens and 10.5
    > wide angle for panoramic photography). I need to get CF cards.
    >
    > The Sandisk Ultra II seems to be the recommended one with the speed to
    > write images quickly, but the PQI CF cards are significantly less
    > expensive, with about the same speed.
    >
    > Will I be happy with the PQI or should I pay the extra money for the
    > Sandisk Ultra II? Are speeds roughly equal? Are PQI CF cards as
    > reliable as Sandisk?
    >
    > thx in adv

    IMHO - there are only a few 'makers' of cards anyway. I've never seen any
    real difference - I know which way I'd go.
    ray, Feb 7, 2007
  9. Just D Guest

    "ray" <>
    > IMHO - there are only a few 'makers' of cards anyway. I've never seen any
    > real difference - I know which way I'd go.

    Does anybody have any bad statistics for Transcend cards, particularly
    SD/SDHC cards? It's relatively slow but huge, that's why I like it inside
    D80. I'm not seeing any speed-related problems with this card maybe just
    because I'm not using my camera as a machine-gun and have enough time to let
    the camera store the images between my series of shots.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820208088

    The only one disadvantage is that the price is going down even comparing to
    the one that I paid just a month ago, but I see that I have probably chosen
    a wrong company for this purchase -
    http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS8GSDHC there is
    about $27 difference! Who knew... Although I bought a SDHC card reader for
    just $8 from them.

    According to newegg some customers are unhappy because their devices can't
    work correctly with this card, particularly the old card readers and some
    cameras. But that's predictable.

    Just D.
    Just D, Feb 7, 2007
  10. wrote:
    > I am buying a new camera kit (Nikon D200 plus 18-200 lens and 10.5
    > wide angle for panoramic photography). I need to get CF cards.
    >
    > The Sandisk Ultra II seems to be the recommended one with the speed to
    > write images quickly, but the PQI CF cards are significantly less
    > expensive, with about the same speed.
    >
    > Will I be happy with the PQI or should I pay the extra money for the
    > Sandisk Ultra II? Are speeds roughly equal? Are PQI CF cards as
    > reliable as Sandisk?

    I made my first experiments with cheap slow CF cards in my D200
    recently. In my case, no speed marked, $25 for 2GB, sold by and branded
    as "MicroCenter".

    The D200 has a 19 picture buffer, so unless you're shooting long bursts
    or bursts in very close succession, a slower card won't actually
    interfere with your shooting. If you're covering sports events
    professionally, in other words, you'll notice, but not in most other
    situations.

    No info on PQI brand reliability.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 7, 2007
  11. In article <>,
    says...
    > <> wrote:
    > > I am buying a new camera kit (Nikon D200 plus 18-200 lens and 10.5
    > > wide angle for panoramic photography). I need to get CF cards.
    > >
    > > The Sandisk Ultra II seems to be the recommended one with the speed to
    > > write images quickly, but the PQI CF cards are significantly less
    > > expensive, with about the same speed.

    > The price difference on 4G PQI "100X" versus Sandisk CF Ultra II cards
    > is about $40-$60.
    >
    > That's around 2% of the price of the camera and lenses.
    >
    > Sandisk is the industry leader, known to perform. PQI... well:
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16820141054
    >
    > Seems like if you're spending that much on a camera to get good photos,
    > it's worth paying 2% more for a quality card to store them.

    But, no sense in paying $50 more if no performance difference!
    Irwin Peckinloomer, Feb 8, 2007
  12. Warren Block Guest

    Irwin Peckinloomer <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> <> wrote:
    >> > I am buying a new camera kit (Nikon D200 plus 18-200 lens and 10.5
    >> > wide angle for panoramic photography). I need to get CF cards.
    >> >
    >> > The Sandisk Ultra II seems to be the recommended one with the speed to
    >> > write images quickly, but the PQI CF cards are significantly less
    >> > expensive, with about the same speed.

    >> The price difference on 4G PQI "100X" versus Sandisk CF Ultra II cards
    >> is about $40-$60.
    >>
    >> That's around 2% of the price of the camera and lenses.
    >>
    >> Sandisk is the industry leader, known to perform. PQI... well:
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?Item=N82E16820141054
    >>
    >> Seems like if you're spending that much on a camera to get good photos,
    >> it's worth paying 2% more for a quality card to store them.
    >>

    > But, no sense in paying $50 more if no performance difference!

    The newegg reviews seem to indicate that the performance of the PQI card
    wasn't as fast as rated. I'd be more concerned about reliability.

    Warren Block, Feb 8, 2007
  13. Guest

    for what it's worth, the PQI CF card works just fine with the D200.
    The only time I notice any slowness in writing the buffer to the card
    is when I shoot RAW, and even then - as another poster pointed out -
    the buffer is large enough that it doesn't prevent me from snapping
    more photos in RAW mode. I don't plan on shooting sports or racing so
    I shouldn't have to worry about the buffer filling up.

    At about half what a comparable capacity SanDisk CF card would have
    cost, I'm glad I bought the PQI and I would do so again.
    , Mar 9, 2007