PPTP through 2 pix (both 6.3.5)

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by sumutai, Jul 2, 2008.

  1. sumutai

    sumutai

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Hi all,

    First an introduction :). I'm Ian, a network engineer for a fairly large telco...mostly LAN focused with a some WAN experience and a little VPN and security background. I'm not too familiar with PIX though...hence my question.

    I have a user (internal from the PIX perspective) who wants to use the microsoft VPN client to connect to an external supplier. I know that the client uses PPTP (ports 1723 and 47 for GRE). I have allowed access through FW1 for the relevant IP addresses on ports 1723 and 47, and I have added the fixup statement "fixup protocol pptp 1723". Outbound traffic is PATted to the outside interface IP address of FW1 and sent to inside interface of FW2.

    At FW2 there are permit statements of the 'any any' nature for all traffic with source IP address of outside interface of FW1. Also I have added the 'fixup' statement to this firewall.

    The user is reporting that they are receiving notification that username and password is being checked...but then the authentication hangs, and they are given a remote host not responding error.

    Has anyone experienced this before, or could anyone affer any assistance?

    I would be most grateful :)

    By the way, both PIXs are ver 6.3(5).

    Thanks in advance.

    sumutai, Jul 2, 2008

  2. sumutai

    sumutai

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Hmmm. Actually. It seems to work now. Possible faulty connection at far end?

    Who cares...? It's working :cheers:

    sumutai, Jul 3, 2008