PPPoE tracing/debugging on 871W

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JF Mezei, Nov 25, 2009.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    This is on a 871w router. Version 12.4(15)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5), nd
    an external ADSL router to a PPPoE based ISP.

    While PPPoE was having problems getting connected to the ISP:

    I tried the following:
    router2#show debug
    PPPoE:
    PPPoE protocol events debugging is on
    PPPoE elog debugging is on
    PPP:
    PPP authentication debugging is on
    PPP protocol negotiation debugging is on

    However, the information being produced lacked some information such as
    the name of the BAS/BRAS at the other end of the DSL line. It does show
    its ethernet address though.

    Also, once the session has been established:

    router2#show pppoe session all
    Total PPPoE sessions 1

    session id: 7425
    local MAC address: 0026.0b6b.7e4d, remote MAC address: 0090.1aa0.a25b
    virtual access interface: Vi1, outgoing interface: Fa4
    38060819 packets sent, 40504811 received
    23822114668 bytes sent, 36994062836 received

    Again, it doesn't give me the name of the BAS/BRAS to which I am pasing
    through, only its ethernet address. (0090 is a juniper box which Bell
    Canada uses as BAS/BRAS).

    When a link is having difficulty being established, what are the
    recommended commands to log the effort with more detail ?

    I tried the debug pppoe packets, but it only shows the first few bytes
    of packets, so I guess the name of the BAS/BRAS gets snipped out instead
    of being printed.

    Is there some command to get those debug commands to format the full
    packets ?

    Or must I use wireshark to get to the information my el-cheapo old
    Netgear RT314 was able to give me ?
    JF Mezei, Nov 25, 2009

  2. On Nov 25, 8:39 pm, JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > This is on a 871w router. Version 12.4(15)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5), nd
    > an external ADSL router to a PPPoE based ISP.
    >
    > While PPPoE was having problems getting connected to the ISP:
    >
    > I tried the following:
    > router2#show debug
    > PPPoE:
    > PPPoE protocol events debugging is on
    > PPPoE elog debugging is on
    > PPP:
    > PPP authentication debugging is on
    > PPP protocol negotiation debugging is on
    >
    > However, the information being produced lacked some information such as
    > the name of the BAS/BRAS at the other end of the DSL line. It does show
    > its ethernet address though.
    >
    > Also, once the session has been established:
    >
    > router2#show pppoe session all
    > Total PPPoE sessions 1
    >
    > session id: 7425
    > local MAC address: 0026.0b6b.7e4d, remote MAC address: 0090.1aa0.a25b
    > virtual access interface: Vi1, outgoing interface: Fa4
    > 38060819 packets sent, 40504811 received
    > 23822114668 bytes sent, 36994062836 received
    >
    > Again, it doesn't give me the name of the BAS/BRAS to which I am pasing
    > through, only its ethernet address. (0090 is a juniper box which Bell
    > Canada uses as BAS/BRAS).
    >
    > When a link is having difficulty being established, what are the
    > recommended commands to log the effort with more detail ?
    >
    > I tried the debug pppoe packets, but it only shows the first few bytes
    > of packets, so I guess the name of the BAS/BRAS gets snipped out instead
    > of being printed.
    >
    > Is there some command to get those debug commands to format the full
    > packets ?
    >
    > Or must I use wireshark to get to the information my el-cheapo old
    > Netgear RT314 was able to give me ?

    Hey JF,

    I'm not sure that the name of your BRAS is needed to establish a PPPoX
    session, however if you look into 'deb ppp authe', you might get lucky
    if your ISP is doing CHAP authentication, and using the node's
    hostname for a challenge.

    You can also do a 'deb pppoe pac' iirc, that should give you raw PPPoE
    packets to the console.

    HTH
    /Ruairi
    Ruairi Carroll, Nov 28, 2009

  3. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Ruairi Carroll wrote:

    > I'm not sure that the name of your BRAS is needed to establish a PPPoX
    > session,

    It isn't "needed". But when problems arise, it is a useful piece of
    information to give to the ISP so they can call up the telco and ask if
    there is something wronfg with sucbh and such BRAS box. (or to track
    down which L2TP link should be carrying my packets from the BRAS to the
    ISP etc.

    > You can also do a 'deb pppoe pac' iirc, that should give you raw PPPoE
    > packets to the console.

    I tried it, and it appears to only show the first few bytes of a packet.
    Does anyone have information that confirms this and whether there is a
    way to have debuf pppoe packets show the full packet ?
    JF Mezei, Nov 28, 2009