    If I were to buy a WIC for the 1602 to improve this situation, should
    I get a serial WIC or a full T1? Whats the fastest interface WIC for
    the 1602 that doesnt kill its cpu?
    Ghazan Haider, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Ghazan Haider

    PES Guest

    > I have a 1602 R router with a BRI WIC installed. The 1602 comes with
    > one ethernet port and a 56k CSU/DSU serial port. I have the 12.1T IOS
    > which allows pppoe.
    >
    > My ISP requires pppoe connections, and I can set that up, but both the
    > BRI port and the fractional T1 ports are simply too slow for real
    > usage. I have 6 other 2500 routers none of which allows pppoe
    > connections, but I can connect them via serial, T1 or the BRI port.
    >
    > So my question is, can I bypass the CSU/DSU on the 1602 and clock its
    > serial port to 2 or 4 MHz like I can on the 2500 routers?

    I don't have an answer for this, but you will be introducing another point
    of failure. If you don't need any advanced feature, why not just get a
    cheap broadband router. Otherwise, I would get a 1605r, 1701, 1721 (and
    wic-1enet). Or you could build a Linux firewall/router.

    > Secondly, is it reasonable to connect the DSL modem, 1602 and other
    > computers to the same hub, and use IP aliasing to make two virtual
    > interfaces of the ethernet on the 1602? One would be used for the
    > pppoe, the other will provide routing interface for the rest of the
    > hosts? I dont know if thats gonna work with pppoe and the overhead
    > costs involved. DSL traffic is capped at 1.5mbit so that shouldnt tax
    > the 68k CPU on the 1602.

    I doubt it would work. I would recommend getting equipment better suited.

    > If I were to buy a WIC for the 1602 to improve this situation, should
    > I get a serial WIC or a full T1? Whats the fastest interface WIC for
    > the 1602 that doesnt kill its cpu?

    I think you would basically be spending money on what in the end would not
    be a clean solution. Again, I would get equipment better suited, unless you
    are just wanting to learn (or play).
    PES, Dec 27, 2003