    between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10 print.
    If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to ensure
    maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
    Chris, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Chris

    CSM1 Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The
    > negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I
    > would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be
    > printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home
    > hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per
    > inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What
    > resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable an 8 x

    10
    > print? I consider acceptable not being able to tell the difference by eye
    > between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10

    print.
    > If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to

    ensure
    > maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

    Print Calculator.
    http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Jul 13, 2003

  3. Chris

    Tom Thackrey Guest

    On 13-Jul-2003, "Chris" <> wrote:

    > I have bought one scanner so far and returned it was a HP4570C. The
    > negatives were to hard to work with it needs some mechanical refinement. I
    > would like to be able to scan negatives to create pictures that can be
    > printed at 8 x 10 on a laser color printer. I am doing this as a home
    > hobbyist at the best. I have been reading about Dots per inch / pixels per
    > inch / output size / and scan size and am going Nucking Futs. What
    > resolution do I need to scan a 35mm negative at to get acceptable an 8 x
    > 10
    > print? I consider acceptable not being able to tell the difference by eye
    > between using a negative and the digital file used to make an 8 x 10
    > print.
    > If my printer is capable of 2400DPI should I scan at say 2500 DPI to
    > ensure
    > maximum resolution? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

    PPI is DPI for almost every use except the DPI ratings on inkjet printers
    which are useless.

    If your printer needs 600 ppi an 8x10 print would need 8*600 x 10*600 pixels
    (pixels per inch times inches = pixels) or 4800x6000 pixels. A 35mm frame is
    36x24mm or 1.42x0.94 inches. To get the required pixels you need to scan the
    35mm neg at the larger of 6000/1.42 (4225) or 4800/0.94 (4512) (pixels
    divided by inches = pixels per inch).

    I would go for a 300 ppi file. Scan your negatives at 2400 ppi and crop them
    to 2400x3000 pixels. 300ppi is good for most printers.

    http://www.scantips.com/ is a very useful site for this type of information.

    --
    Tom Thackrey
    www.creative-light.com
    Tom Thackrey, Jul 13, 2003
  4. Chris

    Barry Parker Guest

    If you scan at the highest resolution and use a Program like Qimage to do
    the printing you don't have to worry about resizing. Qimage does all the
    work for you.

    Barry.

    Barry Parker, Jul 16, 2003