    be loud enough to fill a classroom! Also, what ports do these projectors
    normally plug into? Do they use drivers too?

    Thanks in advance!

    Neil Greenough, Sep 22, 2003

  2. Neil Greenough

    matthew rowe Guest

    Alot of projectors do have audio, some don't. Usually projectors plug into
    a VGA socket a blue D-SUB with 15 pins on the back of your laptop.

    "Neil Greenough" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm doing a presentation in university tomorrow, and have to bring my

    laptop
    > in to uni as presentation is too big to save onto disk. Anyway, the

    lecturer
    > will be plugging in a projector into my laptop so that it can be shown on
    > the big screen. The problem is, will this project audio? I've got some

    video
    > clips in my presentation, however I don't think that my laptop speakers

    will

    matthew rowe, Sep 22, 2003

  3. Neil Greenough

    ilmc Guest

    Neil Greenough typed:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm doing a presentation in university tomorrow, and have to bring my
    > laptop in to uni as presentation is too big to save onto disk.
    > Anyway, the lecturer will be plugging in a projector into my laptop
    > so that it can be shown on the big screen. The problem is, will this
    > project audio? I've got some video clips in my presentation, however
    > I don't think that my laptop speakers will be loud enough to fill a
    > classroom! Also, what ports do these projectors normally plug into?
    > Do they use drivers too?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Its a few years since I played with projectors, but they all plugged into
    the (analogue) video port of a pc. Some had audio jacks as well. As long
    as you can make your laptop match one of the projectors screen resolution,
    you should get a picture (might be cropped).
    HTH

    ilmc, Sep 22, 2003
  4. In article <bknneq$l6v$>,
    says...

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm doing a presentation in university tomorrow, and have to bring my laptop
    >in to uni as presentation is too big to save onto disk. Anyway, the lecturer
    >will be plugging in a projector into my laptop so that it can be shown on
    >the big screen. The problem is, will this project audio? I've got some video
    >clips in my presentation, however I don't think that my laptop speakers will
    >be loud enough to fill a classroom! Also, what ports do these projectors
    >normally plug into? Do they use drivers too?

    The projectors typically plug into the external vga monitor port on a laptop -
    typically a blue colored port. A few projectors have speakers, but they may
    not be much louder than your laptop's speakers. You'd need to have an audio
    cable for the headphone/speaker miniplug out to go to whatever audio input
    they have available at the presentation location. I wouldn't be surpised if
    they don't have a setup for getting the audio from the laptop to the PA system
    in the room unless you ask about and get it setup in advance.

    No drivers needed for any of these setups.

    Another Airnet User, Sep 22, 2003
  5. Neil Greenough

    TAJ Simmons Guest

    Neil,

    What everyone else said.
    But also.....no drivers are needed.

    Also have a read of this page (regarding video clips and projectors and
    laptops).
    http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00467.htm

    Cheers
    TAJ Simmons
    microsoft powerpoint mvp

    awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
    free sample templates, tutorials, hints and tips etc
    http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com

    TAJ Simmons, Sep 22, 2003
  6. Neil Greenough

    Ute Simon Guest

    Hi Neil,
    projectors usually have speakers (though they are usually not very good
    quality), so it will be possible to hear the sound of your video clips! How
    good - depends of the classroom, whether it's a small one for 10 students or
    a large one for 100 ... (If you have any additional PC speakers, why not
    take them with you. I have very small ones for my portable CD-Player, but
    they are better than those built in in my laptop, anyway. And they are
    sufficient for a class of appr. 20 persons, if necessary.)

    Normally (i.e. using Windows 2000 or above as an operating system) you
    should not have to care for any drivers or port compatibility. I suppose,
    your lecturer has done that more than once before ...

    So just concentrate on your presentation tomorrow! It's most important, that
    YOU are calm and confident, to make your audience feel good about your
    presentation! Don't worry about technical things TOO much ;-)

    And for your next presentation in university: Check alternative methods of
    "transportation" (I often prefer the equipment provided on the location): Is
    it possible to burn a CD? Is it possible to "span" your files across several
    floppy discs using WinZip? At the moment I'm very fond about USB memory
    sticks - they carry 128 MB or more and fit into every pocket - and most
    modern computers have USB ports (and my USB stick also functions as an MP3
    player - nice device!)

    Good luck, best regards,
    Ute

    Ute Simon, Sep 22, 2003
  7. Thanks to everyone who replied!

    I have just borrowed a pair of speakers from a friend! I'm just scared now
    about the fact that maybe my MPEG file will not play, however I now know to
    toggle in between screens!

    Thanks again

    Neil Greenough, Sep 22, 2003
  8. Neil Greenough

    TAJ Simmons Guest

    Neil,

    Don't stay up too late.

    You can prove the MPEG video clips will work on a projector by connecting up
    just a local (normal pc) monitor to your laptop.

    TAJ Simmons, Sep 23, 2003