Powertoys

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by msnews.microsoft.com, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. Hello guys ;-)
    I recently update my system (i have in my home for private use a AMD Athon64
    3200+ 1,5 Gb of RAM) running WinXP sp2 EN-US(64bits)
    I like it, but i don't understand why a lot of softwares include the famous
    "Power Toys for Windows Xp" get error at the end of install process with a
    message:

    "The Powertoys require Windows XP or a service pack. They will not function
    on a version of Windows earlier or later than Windows XP"

    I hate that,because i love some powertoys in particular:

    1# MSVDM - Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager (although old, he is
    exellent but only few people nowing...)

    2# CMD here

    Sometimes i'm think in go back to comfort and vesatility of this tools in
    WinXP 32bits O.S. ...

    I sent this mesage being for help in solve this problem.

    Please Help-ME and Reply ;-)

    msnews.microsoft.com, Feb 7, 2008

  2. msnews.microsoft.com

    Stefan Pendl Guest

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 00:36:31 -0300, "msnews.microsoft.com"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello guys ;-)
    >I recently update my system (i have in my home for private use a AMD Athon64
    >3200+ 1,5 Gb of RAM) running WinXP sp2 EN-US(64bits)
    >I like it, but i don't understand why a lot of softwares include the famous
    >"Power Toys for Windows Xp" get error at the end of install process with a
    >message:
    >
    >"The Powertoys require Windows XP or a service pack. They will not function
    >on a version of Windows earlier or later than Windows XP"
    >
    >I hate that,because i love some powertoys in particular:
    >
    > 1# MSVDM - Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager (although old, he is
    >exellent but only few people nowing...)
    >
    > 2# CMD here
    >
    >Sometimes i'm think in go back to comfort and vesatility of this tools in
    >WinXP 32bits O.S. ...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/default.mspx
    lists all powertoys versions, there is none listed for Windows XP x64
    Edition.
    There are other Virtual Desktop managers around, which are working on
    WinXP x64, http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/ or
    http://www.codeplex.com/vdm

    ---
    Stefan Pendl

    Stefan Pendl, Feb 7, 2008

  3. What Stefan says is true - anything that incorporates driver-like code
    (often things that poke around in the system internals) will not work in
    32bit - it must be compiled directly for the platform. Having said that, I
    believe there are tools out there that is doing most of the things you are
    looking for. Right now, the name escapes me!

    http://www.planetamd64.com/

    This used to be a great resource for things like that, look through the
    downloads section and see if you cannot find it, you may have to register as
    a member (this is [was] free).

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 7, 2008
  4. msnews.microsoft.com

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    For CMD here, go to:
    http://www.petri.co.il/add_command_prompt_here_shortcut_to_windows_explorer.htm
    There's a nice tutorial and several methods to achieve it.
    Particularly, method 5 is very similar to what the "old" cmdhere powertoy did.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 7, 2008
  5. That's right, Carlos! This is bound to be the way to get it? And I haven't
    been visiting PAMD since they were brought down!

    (No hard feelings for that, though.)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 8, 2008
  6. msnews.microsoft.com

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Not necessarily.
    I am at work and don't have the link, but the "old" cmdhere.inf file for XP,
    applies also to XP x64.
    I think it is a matter of googling and it will eventually show up.
    Gotta go to a meeting now.
    Bye.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 8, 2008