Powershot s80 buzzing noise - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alison, May 18, 2006.

  1. Alison

    Alison Guest

    I've recently purchased a canon Powershot s80 which I'm very pleased
    with.

    However, I've noticed that if the camera is in shooting mode and the
    LCD display is on, there's a slight buzzing noise coming from the
    battery area. It is only noticeable if you put your ear to the camera
    and it doesn't bother me, although I haven't recorded any movies so I
    don't know if it affects the sound in movies. Also if the camera is in
    shooting mode and the LCD display is off or the camera is in play mode,
    there is no noise.

    I've tried two different batteries and two different memory cards and
    the noise is still there.

    I just want to know if all S80s are the same or if its a specific
    "feature" of my camera, as if it is I'll see if I can get a
    replacement.

    Thanks for any help
    Alison
    Alison, May 18, 2006

  2. Alison

    Bill P Guest

    Hi Alison
    I have just listened to my S80 and I can't hear any noise at all.
    I would take it back to the shop if I was you.
    By the way, I was not very impressed with the sound quality of the movie
    clips I have taken. A lot of white noise (which can be filtered out with
    Virtual Dub if required)
    I took mine back and they tried another one but that was exactly the same.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, May 18, 2006

  3. Alison

    Alison Guest

    Bill

    Thanks for taking the time to test your camera out. I have just tested
    the movie and found that the buzzing noise can easily be heard in the
    movie. I can't comment on white noise as the buzzing probably masks
    it!

    I also found that the buzzing changes pitch if I switch between HiRes
    and standard movie modes!

    I purchased the camera online so I've dropped them an email about the
    problem and we'll see how good their post sales service is.

    Regards
    Alison
    Alison, May 18, 2006
  4. Alison

    ASAAR Guest

    On 18 May 2006 15:09:00 -0700, Alison wrote:

    > Thanks for taking the time to test your camera out. I have just tested
    > the movie and found that the buzzing noise can easily be heard in the
    > movie. I can't comment on white noise as the buzzing probably masks
    > it!
    >
    > I also found that the buzzing changes pitch if I switch between HiRes
    > and standard movie modes!

    This sounds like what has happened with PDAs, where the LCD
    sometimes "hums" when the resonant frequency of the display is too
    close to the frequency of electrical signals that control it. If
    this is the cause of the buzzing, you might be able to verify it by
    pressing a finger on the LCD to see if it has any effect. This was
    often cured by opening the PDA and gluing a small mass to the back
    of the display. Sometimes the buzzing was caused by vibrations of a
    small internal transformer, and gluing a small mass to the
    transformer also eliminated the vibrations/noise. Unfortunately,
    opening a camera is likely to be much more difficult than opening a
    PDA, and attempting to do so may cause real damage.
    ASAAR, May 18, 2006
  5. Alison

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 18 May 2006 11:37:55 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Alison"
    <> wrote:

    >I've recently purchased a canon Powershot s80 which I'm very pleased
    >with.
    >
    >However, I've noticed that if the camera is in shooting mode and the
    >LCD display is on, there's a slight buzzing noise coming from the
    >battery area. It is only noticeable if you put your ear to the camera
    >and it doesn't bother me, although I haven't recorded any movies so I
    >don't know if it affects the sound in movies. Also if the camera is in
    >shooting mode and the LCD display is off or the camera is in play mode,
    >there is no noise.
    >
    >I've tried two different batteries and two different memory cards and
    >the noise is still there.
    >
    >I just want to know if all S80s are the same or if its a specific
    >"feature" of my camera, as if it is I'll see if I can get a
    >replacement.

    You don't have autofocus set to a continuous mode, do you? This is
    where the camera continually focuses and you can hear the focus motor.
    Known issue with many Nikon Coolpix cameras.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, May 19, 2006
  6. Alison

    Alison Guest

    I just have the camera in the standard settings and if the LCD isn't
    switched on there is no humming noise.

    Anyway I now have a replacement camera from camerasu2 which I received
    the next working day after I telephoned them asking for a replacement.
    Faultless service.

    The new camera still has a very very quiet hum but it can't be heard on
    the movies and you have to hold the camera on your ear to hear it.
    With the original camera you could hear the noise if the camera was
    about 4 inches from your ear.

    I still wonder if this is "normal" for the S80. Could someone do a
    test for me just to put my mind at rest?

    1. set the camera dial to "A" automatic.
    2. open the lens cover and make sure the LCD is switched on.
    3. put the camera right up to your ear (with your ear on the func set
    button area!).
    4. listen for ANY noise.
    5. press the display (triangle button) to switch the camera into Play
    mode (ie not shooting mode).
    6. listen for ANY noise again.

    On my replacement camera there's a very faint noise at step 4 but
    absolutely no noise on step 6. With my original camera there was a
    very noticeable noise at step 4 but absolutely no noise on step 6.

    Thanks to anyone who does this test for me
    Alison
    Alison, May 24, 2006
  7. Alison

    Bill P Guest

    "Alison" <> wrote in message
    >I just have the camera in the standard settings and if the LCD isn't
    > switched on there is no humming noise.
    >
    > Anyway I now have a replacement camera from camerasu2 which I received
    > the next working day after I telephoned them asking for a replacement.
    > Faultless service.
    >
    > The new camera still has a very very quiet hum but it can't be heard on
    > the movies and you have to hold the camera on your ear to hear it.
    > With the original camera you could hear the noise if the camera was
    > about 4 inches from your ear.
    >
    > I still wonder if this is "normal" for the S80. Could someone do a
    > test for me just to put my mind at rest?
    >
    > 1. set the camera dial to "A" automatic.
    > 2. open the lens cover and make sure the LCD is switched on.
    > 3. put the camera right up to your ear (with your ear on the func set
    > button area!).
    > 4. listen for ANY noise.
    > 5. press the display (triangle button) to switch the camera into Play
    > mode (ie not shooting mode).
    > 6. listen for ANY noise again.
    >
    > On my replacement camera there's a very faint noise at step 4 but
    > absolutely no noise on step 6. With my original camera there was a
    > very noticeable noise at step 4 but absolutely no noise on step 6.
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who does this test for me
    > Alison

    Hi Alison
    Glad to hear you got first class service and a replacement camera. I carried
    out the test as you specified but I can honestly say that I can not hear any
    noise whatsoever and I have very acute hearing (or so my wife says).

    Are you sure you got a new camera in return and not your old one back that
    someone has tried to fix? Just a thought.

    Regards
    Bill
    Bill P, May 24, 2006
  8. Alison

    ASAAR Guest

    On 24 May 2006 01:22:20 -0700, Alison wrote:

    > I still wonder if this is "normal" for the S80. Could someone do a
    > test for me just to put my mind at rest?
    >
    > 1. set the camera dial to "A" automatic.
    > 2. open the lens cover and make sure the LCD is switched on.
    > 3. put the camera right up to your ear (with your ear on the func set
    > button area!).
    > 4. listen for ANY noise.
    > 5. press the display (triangle button) to switch the camera into Play
    > mode (ie not shooting mode).
    > 6. listen for ANY noise again.
    >
    > On my replacement camera there's a very faint noise at step 4 but
    > absolutely no noise on step 6. With my original camera there was a
    > very noticeable noise at step 4 but absolutely no noise on step 6.
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who does this test for me

    I'm not sure what this test is intended to show. In all
    likelihood, *none* of the cameras are "defective". Electronic
    oscillations (whether across the LCD or an internal transformer) are
    probably the cause of the noise problem when it occurs. The only
    time the problem *does* occur is probably when the resonant
    frequency of the LCD or transformer is close enough to the
    electronic oscillations to cause the part to vibrate, becoming in
    effect a small loudspeaker. The resonant frequency of an object is
    determined by its mass, and if one of the parts weighs a tiny bit
    more or a tiny bit less, it could be enough to get the part's
    resonant frequency close enough to the electronic oscillation
    frequency to cause the vibrations that you heard. In other words,
    nothing was really broken or defective, but the mass market device
    (your camera, and most others as well) don't undergo the kind of
    quality control that would detect this kind of problem before it
    reaches store shelves. Since there was no reply to my previous
    message, I assume that you didn't try the simple test that was
    suggested. In any case (and in this case) requesting a replacement
    was the proper thing to do. It's possible, though, for this kind of
    noise problem to begin long after the initial warranty expires. If
    it was a PDA, it might be quite easy to fix at home. A camera, on
    the other hand, is so easily damaged by disassembly that it would
    probably be better to replace it.
    ASAAR, May 24, 2006
  9. Alison

    Alison Guest

    Sorry for not responding previous, but I did press the LCD on the
    original camera and the humming/buzzing did not stop or get any
    quieter. I do agree that it is probably something inside the camera
    that is vibrating and causing the noise.

    To answer Bill's question, I had both cameras in my possession at the
    same time so I know that the new camera is actually a different one.

    I think I'll send off a query to Canon to see if this is an issue with
    some S80s.

    Thanks for your help guys.
    Alison
    Alison, May 24, 2006