    stabilizer. Is the Canon camera much better than the Fuji ?
    Thank you for your help.

    Thomas.
    kokomo_35, Jun 7, 2004

  2. kokomo_35

    bagal Guest

    Hi Thomas

    It is a good question! But it has far reaching consequences,

    Such an innocent question may even start a flame war (see Foveon & Bayer
    elsewhere in the newsgroup)

    The best basis is what do you define as "better"?

    The only factor IMHO is what suits you better based on experiencial use
    This is usually difficult to fulfill because it is quite costly buying 2
    cameras rather than just 1

    I am sure that there will be exponents and supporters of each of the cameras
    you mentioned

    At this stage, the reviews afforded each camera tend to become important but
    the, if like me, you discover that soome reviews are less independent than
    others and may be biased it sort of challenges the conclusion in the review.
    The conclusion may be spot-on but because of some oversight or innocently
    chosen phrasing of words a sense of doubt creeps in

    I hope fou enjou your quest to the better of the 2 - I have a declaration of
    interests in the sense I have a Fuji P&S and love it to bits. Partly
    because the menu system is a dream to use and the controls seem very easy
    However, I have not used a Canon digital at all so I honestly cannot comment
    about the merits and demerits

    das B

    bagal, Jun 7, 2004

  3. The long zoom on the Canon S1 IS would be virtually useless without the
    image stabilizer. I'd have to say the Canon would be the most practical and
    useful camera for taking pictures with long zoom. Check out my example shots
    taken with my S1 IS. Most of these would have been blurry (motion blur) if
    it wasn't for the IS.

    http://www.fototime.com/inv/65681DD78AA764D

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Jun 7, 2004
  4. kokomo_35

    Kirk Davison Guest

    I own the s5000. I love most everything about it. The only thing I wish it
    had was image stabilization. The only time I would need this is in a gym
    for basketball. For outside shots the lens gets enough light to overcome
    the movement.

    Kirk Davison, Jun 7, 2004
  5. (kokomo_35) wrote in

    > Is the Canon camera much better than the Fuji ?

    Yes, on all counts.

    --
    "Live fast. Die young." (Nikki Sixx)

    -Richard Cockburn
    Richard Cockburn, Jun 7, 2004
  6. kokomo_35

    bagal Guest

    define better?
    dB

    bagal, Jun 8, 2004
  7. "bagal" <> wrote in news:eek:D8xc.348$yL2.301@newsfe2-win:

    > define better?
    > dB

    What's better about the Canon? Let's see...image quality (number one IMO),
    lens optics, IS (makes the difference for these long zooms), focus/metering
    system, build, video, compact flash I/II convenience vs xD, JPG compression
    settings, shswivel lcd, shutter speed range, manufaturer, etc.

    Did i miss anything?

    Richard Cockburn, Jun 8, 2004