    would buy the 300D body in a heartbeat!

    sigh

    chas

    schuetzen - RKBA!, May 7, 2004

  2. schuetzen - RKBA!

    Zol. Guest

    I`ve only had a Pro1 for a few days, having owned a G5 (on eBay now) & I was impressed with
    the ease of use - it`s a bit samller than the 300D (with standard lens), has a good HQ LCD
    (2 inches) althought the EVF seams a little less detailed. Zoom & manual focusing is done by
    the ring around the lens and once you remember where the button is to switch between the
    zoom & focus modes it is becoming second nature. The auto focus is good & even in low light
    at full zoom (I had a very small pinlight out in the garden late with no other source of
    light & it focused spot on) so you don`t need an AF assist light (I never used it on my G5).
    The other thing people mention in reviews is `where to put your right thumb?` the answer is
    that it lies very easily in-between the 2 sets of buttons (and I have big hands!). I don`t
    think I will use the pop-up flash much (it`s very rapid at popping up automatically and
    makes you jump the 1st time it does it!) but the flash seams to do a good job at close
    range.
    I was a bit shocked at the prices for the accesorry lenses & lens adapter for going that
    little bit further in with the zoom but I assume that`s the quality (nobody stocks them at
    the moment).
    Of the few shots I have taken so far, I can see no signs of purple fringing or the
    vignetting on the edges as some reviews have reported in high contrast areas.
    Overall, I physically looked at several of the similar 8Mpx cameras as compared on Dpreview
    & the Canon 300D & went with the one which felt good to use, had the right sort of
    wieght(for me) & after checking decided the Pro1 was for me.
    Do a side-by-side comparison at www.dpreview.com for comparisons but I really would suggest
    handling the cameras in a shop as well.

    Zol.

    Zol., May 7, 2004

  3. schuetzen - RKBA!

    Mark Weaver Guest

    > ok,
    > someone out there has bound to have already bought one of these... tell

    us what
    > you think of it please.
    > I walked into another Ritz store at the NorthStar mall in SAntonio (how

    many are
    > there in San Antonio???) and fondled one interchangeably with a 300d.

    cheezy
    > compared to the EOS but definitely you could tell that it was an offspring

    of
    > the line parented by my G1...

    Cheesy compared to the plastic 300D? Guess cheesiness can mean different
    things.

    > would again, appreciate any comments to help me make up my mind on which

    to buy.

    The 300D or the Pro1? No way anybody else can answer that for you, but the
    tradeoffs are fairly obvious. The pros for the 300D are:

    - Much better high ISO performance (about 2 stops -- 400 on the Pro1 is
    about as noisy as 1600 on the 300D).
    - Interchangeable lenses
    - Optical viewfinder
    - Faster autofocus

    The pros for the Pro1 are:

    - Much more compact
    - Significantly less expensive (when figuring the cost of buying quality
    lenses to cover Pro1's 28-200 zoom range)
    - Tilt/swivel articulating LCD
    - Movie mode
    - Metal body (vs plastic on the 300D)
    - Higher 8MP resolution (not just theoretical -- if you check DPReview's
    test images the resolution advantage over the 6MP 300D is noticeable). Take
    a look at:

    http://www.fototime.com/FE03B5924676FD8/orig.jpg

    Compare, for example, the detail in the crown on the left above the red &
    white cross.

    Mark
    Mark Weaver, May 7, 2004