    so, which one, and are there any ways around it? The E-TTL flash exposures
    are often way off, so this is a major problem.

    CB

    Captain Blammo, Nov 17, 2005

  2. I used to use a 420EX with a Canon G2. As I recall, the 420EX is fully TTL,
    with no manual controlability. I always got very good results bouncing
    (usually about 45 degrees), and with an Omnibounce diffuser.

    Eugene Hurwitz, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Whoops, I forgot that the flash output is controlled via an option on the
    FUNC menu, not through normal EV settings.

    You're quite right about no manual controllability, but the flash EV setting
    works *through*the E-TTL communication system, there are just no physical
    controls on the flash itself.

    CB

    Captain Blammo, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Captain Blammo

    Mark B. Guest

    >I just got myself a Speedlite 420EX and plonked it on top of my Powershot
    > G6, and don't seem to be able to adjust the flash output in any of the
    > camera's modes.
    >
    > Is there a way around this, or is it a limitation of the camera/flash? If
    > so, which one, and are there any ways around it? The E-TTL flash exposures
    > are often way off, so this is a major problem.
    >
    > CB

    The 420EX has no manual control, but you can control the flash exposure
    compensation with the camera, +/- 2 stops I believe. Check the manual.

    Mark

    Mark B., Nov 21, 2005
  5. Captain Blammo

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 06:34:12 -0500, "Mark B." <> wrote:

    >"Captain Blammo" <> wrote in message
    >>I just got myself a Speedlite 420EX and plonked it on top of my Powershot
    >> G6, and don't seem to be able to adjust the flash output in any of the
    >> camera's modes.
    >>
    >> Is there a way around this, or is it a limitation of the camera/flash? If
    >> so, which one, and are there any ways around it? The E-TTL flash exposures
    >> are often way off, so this is a major problem.
    >>
    >> CB
    >>

    >The 420EX has no manual control, but you can control the flash exposure
    >compensation with the camera, +/- 2 stops I believe. Check the manual.
    >
    >Mark

    I used my Speedlite 420EX with a Powershot G5 for a couple of years
    with no problem. Now it seems to be working just fine with my new
    Rebel XT.
    I always used it with the sync switch in the H (high speed) position.
    See p. 14 of the 420EX Instructions.

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Nov 22, 2005