    already carry lots of pictures. I feel with a 256 MB card it is
    considerably slower than with a normal 128 MB card.

    Any experiences with newest cards? Thank you!!

    Henrik2000, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Henrik2000

    GovtLawyer Guest

    >Any experiences with newest cards? Thank you!!

    I have a G3 with a SanDisk Ultra 256 card. That's all I can help you with.
    After all, what does my non-scientific "oh, it goes pretty fast" statement mean
    to you. It doesn't tell you if it goes faster with this card than a another
    one? I suggest you go to Steve's Digicam or DPReview and read the reviews.
    They may have test results with various cards.

    GovtLawyer, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Henrik2000

    Paul L Guest

    FWIW, I hooked my G3 to my TV to show the family pics, the picture lag is
    non-existant w/the lcd off

    Paul L, Jan 27, 2004
  4. Henrik,

    though not exactly pertinent to your question I would venture that you
    should consider sticking to 256 MB capacity CFs if you can manage the
    additonal bulk of several memory cards instead of fewer of the larger
    capacity type. The rationale behind this is, that chips may get broke or
    lost. With more chips to spread the pictures the less the chance of
    catastrophic loss though of course chances rise that something happens to
    any of the chips.

    If you are doing backups to a portable HD or other devices then, of
    course, large capacity memory cards could be the choice, too.
    Guenter

    Guenter Fieblinger, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Henrik2000

    Andyd Guest

    I may be over my head here in terms of technology, but there is a
    review of CF cards on www.dpreview.com. Under Buying Guide/Digital
    Film. There seems to be little to no difference in speed with these
    two cards for the "prosumer" type camera they tested, the Nikon
    Coolpix 995. Now this may have changed in the newer "prosumer" type
    cameras, but the general gist of the article is that you have to have
    a device that is able to take advantage of the card. You won't be
    taking advantage of the speed of the cards (16x, 24x, etc.) unless you
    have a more advanced D-SLR type camera, not an advanced
    point-and-shoot like the G3. Look at the read and write speeds on the
    Coolpix chart compared to the EOS-1D. Not the bars, they are scaled.
    The Coolpix is 200-500 KB/s, the EOS-1D are in the 1000's KB/s.

    Like I said, this may be different in the newer prosumer cameras (I
    have a G3 as well I'd love to know if this has changed), and with the
    technology changing as fast as it is I wouldn't be surprised, but my
    gut feel based on what I known and have read is that you aren't really
    getting an advantage with the extra fast CF cards with the G3.

    I haven't noticed anything regarding slowness with existing images on
    a bigger card, but then again, I don't review a whole lot when I am
    shooting photos.

    andyd

    Andyd, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Henrik2000

    Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    Andyd <> wrote:
    >www.dpreview.com

    Dpreview appears somewhat outdated.
    I think it's worth noting that CF cards have built-in controllers
    which allow room for improvements.
    So it could be that thelatest Ultra II/Extreme versions of SanDisk
    work faster than previous even in a G3. The Lexar WA technology seems
    a different story and they list the specifica cameras which take
    advantage of it.
    Andy, what method do you use to minimize shot-to-shot lags wit the G3?
    Also, is there some kind of sharpness issue that is different in the
    G3 than in the G2, making pictures smoother (less sharp) ?
    I'm seriously considering buying one.
    cheers
    Augusto

    , Jan 27, 2004
  7. Henrik2000

    Andyd Guest

    I don't really have a method to minimize shot to shot lag with the G3.
    I don't know specifics, but you have to understand that my first
    digital camera was a Kodak DC260 which I got back in 1999. While that
    camera took outstanding photos, it had a very small buffer, and even
    at 2 megapixels it was stopping my shots after about 3 pictures
    quickly taken. And it wrote the images to the CF card *very* slowly.
    So when I finally wore that camera out (after more than 5,000 shots
    and much abuse) I jumped to the G3. This was a HUGE step up for me,
    in many ways- the ability to do many things I do with an SLR (control
    shutter speed, aperture, bracketing), a hot shoe, etc, but also a much
    larger buffer and not being slowed down while taking pictures. I have
    rarely, if ever, been forced to wait while the G3 is writing before I
    can resume shooting.
    I must note, however, that much of my photography is indoors, with a
    flash, and I have not often put the camera on high-speed shooting and
    busted off a quick series of photos. You really can't do this with
    the built-in flash or the relatively inexpensive flash unit (220) I
    bought for the camera.
    I don't know anything about the sharpness issue between the G2 and G3.
    I have not had any sharpness problem with the G3 other than when the
    focus is off, which happens fairly often, but considering how many
    pictures I burn with it I don't think it happens at a higher rate than
    with my P&S film cameras.
    I will say that I really like the G3. I have had it for over a year-
    the 4x optical zoom, hot shoe, controls, 4 megapixels, etc. are all a
    plus for me. The bump to 4 megapixels was almost a must for me. I
    even have some add-on lenses, I got the wide angle for a Grand Canyon
    trip last year and it did very well. I also just got an adapter which
    allows me to attach my G3 to my 80mm Leica spotting scope, which
    essentially gets me to (I think) an 1800 mm lens (35mm equivalent).

    andyd

    Andyd, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Henrik2000

    Guest

    ( before e-mailing, remove "NOSPAM" from address )

    Thanks again Andy for sharing your experience. Be warned, I might
    again bother you with questions once I finally get mine. Cheers.

    , Jan 28, 2004
  9. Henrik2000

    Chris Gunn Guest

    On 26 Jan 2004 01:02:33 -0800, (Henrik2000) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >

    >do you know if Canons Powershot G3 is faster with *extrafast* CF
    >cards? For example, Sandisk 512 MB normal versus Sandisk 512 MB Ultra
    >II.
    >
    >I want to buy new cards (256 or 512 or 1024 MB??). I find my Powershot
    >G3 *slow* when i turn it to replay my shots on normal CF cards which
    >already carry lots of pictures. I feel with a 256 MB card it is
    >considerably slower than with a normal 128 MB card.
    >
    >Any experiences with newest cards? Thank you!!

    The Sandisk cards have very slow read speeds.

    I have a Ridata 52x 2gb myself. It has a very fast read speed.

    Gunn

    Chris Gunn, Jan 29, 2004
  10. Henrik2000

    Henrik2000 Guest