    the same price. There seems to be very little difference between the
    three - they all have the features I'm looking for.

    Any recommendations?
    A. Buratynski, Dec 24, 2003

  2. A. Buratynski

    ehurwitz Guest

    I have a G2 that I have been using for a couple of years. It is an
    extremely capable and versatile camera. It has a hot shoe, so it can accept
    Canon dedicated flash units. With a 420EX flash and a bracket, it can
    produce professional results.

    If you don't want the expandability, the A80 looks like a great little
    camera for regular family use, and it has the newer DIGIC processor. I'm
    not familiar with the S45.

    ehurwitz, Dec 25, 2003

  3. A. Buratynski

    DHB Guest

    A. Buratynski,
    your subject line stated the G3 vs G2 but your text
    message talks about the G2 which I suspect is what you are referring to
    since you said you could get it used for essentially the same price. If you
    can buy the G3 that would be IMHO your best option among these choices if
    it's a possibility. If it's not than the next best choice if I were you,
    would be to buy the G2 if I knew it was in good shape & fully operational &
    it meets your needs.

    The G2 offers some advantages over the other considerations.

    <1> G2 has a the fastest lens of the 3 options.

    <2> G2 will accepts dedicated Canon flash units.

    <3> G2 can capture in RAW mode as can the S45 but not the A80.

    <4> G2 & A80 both more easily accept aux. lens & filter add-ons.

    The bottom line with any purchase is to compare the features & than see
    which camera best matches your expected needs. The G2 & G3 are both larger
    boxier cameras than the A80 or S45, so this is something to consider. If
    you have large packets, the A80 & S45 may fit but the G2 or G3 won't, so if
    this is an issue, consider it before you decide.

    Here are 2 sights that you may find helpful. The 1st will let you do a
    side by side comparison of all 3 or 4 cameras.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

    This 2nd 1 has detailed reviews that are more like mini instruction
    manuals which will help you get a better idea of ease of use.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

    Lastly, after you buy 1 don't second guess yourself. Learn the camera
    that you purchased as well as you can & enjoy it to the MAX.! There will
    always be something better down the road but if what you have meets your
    needs it does not matter what else comes out after you buy your camera until
    what you have no longer meets "your needs"!

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Dec 25, 2003
  4. A. Buratynski

    Guiness! Guest

    Thanks both for your advice. I had been to the dpreview sight, but
    hadn't seen the comparison feature.

    Yes, you're right - I'm not considering the G3. I should've changed
    the subject line of the post I was replying to.

    The only thing that is really pulling me towards the G2 is the faster
    lens, and the hot shoe. The ability to pocket the others is attracive.

    I think you both answered my real question - was the (newer) A80 so
    far advanced that it has left the older models behind, but it doesn't
    seem like it - so I will just make my decision based on the small
    difference in features.

    Canon sure isn't making it easy though, with four models so close to
    each other.

    Guiness!, Dec 26, 2003