    Kesava RaM - Coming Of The Gods
    Metal With Soul
    GG - 5833035
    jUnK|E, Sep 5, 2003

  2. jUnK|E

    VT Guest

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:04:40 GMT, "jUnK|E" <> wrote:
    > Right now I'm really
    >into G3 but G2 and A80 are simply cheaper. What I want from my camera is:
    >_sharp_ images, good night shots, well-working autofocus in lowlight scenes,
    >manual controls, good macro mode.

    These are basically in very difference price categories -
    but at how much performance difference?

    The G3 is generally regarded as the "Top Dog" of the current 4Mp
    digicams.

    Before the G3 - it was the G2 - the main difference was the move from
    a 3x optical zoom to a 4x zoom. If you don't need the extra longer
    zoom then the G2 would seem to be the better value for money tight
    now.

    However the gotcha is the announcement of the coming A80 -
    it is likely to be in the same ballpark price as the A70 - ie:
    probably a little above the $300 mark street price -
    this really "throws the cat among the pigeons" -
    a current "High-End" digicam abilities at a true budget price.

    Despite the slight slow down in the fast accelerated pace of digicam
    development - they are still getting better all the time - or getting
    much more for the money - as the A80 shows.

    So if you can wait then the A80 probably will not disappoint at
    probably an unheard of price - plus the A80 probably will not show
    much disadvantage compared to the current top 4Mp digicams - because
    of the continuous improvements in digicam technology.

    But on the otherhand -
    putting a peg in the ground right now means one will enjoy the
    ownership and usage of a fine digicam -
    so what if something else better and cheaper comes along later -
    that's a given certainty - so where do you draw the line?
    - or how long are you willing to wait?
    --
    Vincent
    remove CLOTHES for e-mail

    http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
    VT, Sep 6, 2003

  3. jUnK|E

    FishMaze Guest

    The A80 is reported to appear in stores in October I think. So maybe that
    isn't too far away for consideration.
    FM

    FishMaze, Sep 6, 2003
  4. You can pick up the G2 for under $400 and the G3 for about $460. Check
    out http://www.buydig.com. They are an excellent, 4 star merchant. The
    A80 will sell for $400. It will not be as good as either G camera
    (lens less sharp and much slower and less manual options). The only
    advantage to the A80 would be the somewhat smaller size and weight.
    But the A80 is not a subcompact. It is medium sized. The major
    differences beween the G2 and G3 are the lens (3X G2 vs 4X G3), the G3
    has the new DIGIC processor while the G2 does not, and the menus are
    different. One negative thing about the G3 is that you can see the
    lens sticking out when you look in the viewfinder. The G2 does not
    suffer from this because the lens does not stick out as much.

    Monica Krowley, Sep 6, 2003
  5. jUnK|E

    kate Guest

    > You can pick up the G2 for under $400 and the G3 for about $460.

    For this price difference, there is no reason to get the G2 anymore and everyone should be getting
    the G3 at this point.
    kate, Sep 6, 2003
  6. Canon MSRP $400. Amazon.com price: $399

    David, where have you seen it cheaper? It will not be released until Oct 1.

    (David Cohen) wrote

    Monica Krowley, Sep 7, 2003
  7. jUnK|E

    Myles Guest

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:04:40 GMT, "jUnK|E" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I want to buy a digital camera, my choice is either of the above. Could you
    >please tell me some pros and cons regarding theese? Right now I'm really
    >into G3 but G2 and A80 are simply cheaper. What I want from my camera is:
    >_sharp_ images, good night shots,

    The G2 does not offfer the slow shutter speeds I think you would want
    for night shots
    Myles
    well-working autofocus in lowlight scenes,
    >manual controls, good macro mode. Thanks in advance
    >
    >--
    >jUnK|E
    >
    >+----------------------------------------------------+
    > http://metallica.zone.pl
    > Kesava RaM - Coming Of The Gods
    > Metal With Soul
    > GG - 5833035
    >+----------------------------------------------------+

    Myles

    (Remove 123 from email address)
    Myles, Sep 7, 2003
  8. VT <> wrote

    > However the gotcha is the announcement of the coming A80 -
    > it is likely to be in the same ballpark price as the A70 - ie:
    > probably a little above the $300 mark street price -
    > this really "throws the cat among the pigeons" -
    > a current "High-End" digicam abilities at a true budget price.

    Actually the MSRP is $400. Amazon.com price is $399. It will probably
    take a while to go down in price. The A70 will probably hit $250 and
    then Canon will discontinue it.
    Monica Krowley, Sep 7, 2003
  9. jUnK|E

    VT Guest

    On 7 Sep 2003 04:32:05 -0700, (Monica Krowley)
    wrote:

    >Actually the MSRP is $400. Amazon.com price is $399. It will probably
    >take a while to go down in price. The A70 will probably hit $250 and
    >then Canon will discontinue it.

    Very good take on the A70 -

    While the A80 is new and there's an initial rush the price might stay
    at the MSRP $399 level -
    but as you've pointed out yourself the G2 is $400 and the G3 $460 -
    so in reality - the A80 would not be that appealing unless the price
    is substantially lower?

    VT, Sep 7, 2003
  10. True, Vincent. But size can be a factor...not onlt features in
    Quality. But the AX0 series is not that small.

    VT <> wrote

    Monica Krowley, Sep 8, 2003