    well buy for price vs. performance.

    I appreciate your input.

    Oliver

    Oliver Wang O-Dub, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Oliver Wang  O-Dub

    Andrew Guest

    Oliver Wang O-Dub <> wrote:
    > I haven't heard a definitive answer on this yet but: Can the G3 take
    > advantage of these so-called "high speed" Compact Flash cards that are
    > now all over the market? I've seen the dpreview.com info on CF cards
    > but since they didn't test using a G3, I can't be sure if I'd find
    > similar results b/t the different CF cards.
    > Does anyone know? Because if it doesn't make a difference, I might as
    > well buy for price vs. performance.
    > I appreciate your input.

    I noticed a differnce between brands of CF cards when using my G2.
    When shooting raw, I had to wait 3-4 seconds before I could take
    follow-up shots when using a sandisk 265MB card, whereas my viking
    512MB card let me take follow-up shots after about 1/2 second.
    I assume the G3 is fundamentally the same as the G2 with regard to
    buffering.

    Andrew

    Andrew, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Oliver Wang  O-Dub

    Ender W. Guest

    I had a G2 and now a G3. Wiith the G2, I had the original Canon card,
    a Dane-Elec 256 MB and a Viking 256 MB. You could defintely tell that
    the Viking was faster. None of these were HS cards, but an article I
    read stated that the Viking tested the fastest out of all the cards
    tested. There was also an article that stated that the Canon G2 could
    not take advantage of the HS memory. I believe this to be the case
    with the G3 also. You have to watch out when buying these HS memories.
    It depends on what they are claiming is fast, the reads, the writes,
    etc. Whole thing sounds kind of like a scam to me. You can read more
    about it here:

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/mediacompare/

    Greg

    Ender W., Dec 26, 2003
  4. Oliver Wang  O-Dub

    Rich Powell Guest

    Here is a site that maintains an up to date database on CF speeds:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    Rich Powell, Dec 26, 2003