    --
    "Sigourney Weaver is pretty cool, he really kicks ass in all those
    alien movies, even if he does look a little like a chick."

    BDB, Nov 22, 2004

  2. BDB

    SgtRich Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:47:41 GMT, BDB <> wrote:

    >Thinking of getting an A75 and wondering if it will work under linux?
    >Will it work as a Mass Storage Device, because that seems to work
    >well for me?

    The software that is included with the Canon PowerShot A75 says nothing
    about Linux. Windows & Mac are the only platforms that I see supported. The
    software manual DOES state that the software will not work on disks
    formatted with the Unix File System, although I'm not sure if that is what
    Linux uses or not, as I've never used Linux.
    --
    <<<SgtRich>>>
    Chicago, Illinois, USA

    SgtRich, Nov 23, 2004

  3. BDB

    nafod40 Guest

    SgtRich wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:47:41 GMT, BDB <> wrote:
    >

    >>Thinking of getting an A75 and wondering if it will work under linux?
    >>Will it work as a Mass Storage Device, because that seems to work
    >>well for me?

    > The software that is included with the Canon PowerShot A75 says nothing
    > about Linux. Windows & Mac are the only platforms that I see supported. The
    > software manual DOES state that the software will not work on disks
    > formatted with the Unix File System, although I'm not sure if that is what
    > Linux uses or not, as I've never used Linux.

    I didn't try it myself, as I ended up just using an XP box, but I looked
    into it. Try googling on "Linux" and "A75" or "A70". Here's one hit that
    I bookmarked...

    http://pto.linux.dk/Canon_PowerShot_A70_Linux/

    nafod40, Nov 23, 2004
  4. SgtRich <> writes:

    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:47:41 GMT, BDB <> wrote:
    >
    > >Thinking of getting an A75 and wondering if it will work under linux?
    > >Will it work as a Mass Storage Device, because that seems to work
    > >well for me?

    > The software that is included with the Canon PowerShot A75 says nothing
    > about Linux. Windows & Mac are the only platforms that I see supported. The
    > software manual DOES state that the software will not work on disks
    > formatted with the Unix File System, although I'm not sure if that is what
    > Linux uses or not, as I've never used Linux.

    The last time I checked, Canon cameras did not act as USB mass storage
    devices. If they don't, try gphoto2. I don't see the A75 supported, but the
    A70 is supported, so you might be able to tell gphoto2 to use the A70 commands
    and/or get a new release of gphoto2.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Nov 23, 2004
  5. BDB

    Chris D Guest

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:47:41 GMT
    BDB <> wrote:

    > Thinking of getting an A75 and wondering if it will work under
    > linux? Will it work as a Mass Storage Device, because that
    > seems to work well for me?

    Easiest way to get it working is to spend 30 bucks (Probably
    somewhat less if you're american) on a Card Reader. I Use a
    card reader under 'Doze instead of the proper Canon driver as
    well (There's always debate over whether it's best to use a
    card reader or plug in the camera).

    I Use RedHat 9, and it's simply a case of plugging in the card
    reader, mounting /dev/sda1, and hey-presto, one flash card, full
    of pics from the Canon.

    -Chris D

    Chris D, Nov 23, 2004
  6. BDB

    Chris D Guest

    Oh, and for what it's worth, I've got an A95, I have tried
    briefly to get it going under linux, but with no success. I
    Didn't try too hard, because I preffer to use the card reader
    anyway.

    -Chris D

    Chris D, Nov 23, 2004
  7. BDB

    BDB Guest

    Chris D wrote:
    > Easiest way to get it working is to spend 30 bucks (Probably
    > somewhat less if you're american) on a Card Reader. I Use a
    > card reader under 'Doze instead of the proper Canon driver as
    > well (There's always debate over whether it's best to use a
    > card reader or plug in the camera).

    Followup question, if I take pictures with the A75, then move the
    CompactFlash card to my old camera which I am currently able to use
    under Linux as a Mass Storage Device, will I be able to read the A75
    pictures via the old camera? Is the CF file format the same for
    all cameras?

    BDB, Nov 24, 2004
  8. BDB <> writes:

    > Chris D wrote:
    > > Easiest way to get it working is to spend 30 bucks (Probably
    > > somewhat less if you're american) on a Card Reader. I Use a
    > > card reader under 'Doze instead of the proper Canon driver as
    > > well (There's always debate over whether it's best to use a
    > > card reader or plug in the camera).

    > Followup question, if I take pictures with the A75, then move the
    > CompactFlash card to my old camera which I am currently able to use
    > under Linux as a Mass Storage Device, will I be able to read the A75
    > pictures via the old camera? Is the CF file format the same for
    > all cameras?

    It depends. If you use a CF card formatted for FAT32, your older camera will
    not understand it. Typically only large CF cards are FAT32 (2 gig and above).
    Also, if your older camera is a different manufacturer, it will use a different
    directory name under DCIM to hold the files. In theory the USB mass storage
    devices should handle it, but it is a possible problem.

    Given card readers can be had for $10-20, it might be simpler to just get a
    card reader. For instance:
    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=FPT-D-12&cat=CAM

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Nov 24, 2004
  9. BDB

    BDB Guest

    Michael Meissner wrote:
    > It depends. If you use a CF card formatted for FAT32, your older camera will
    > not understand it. Typically only large CF cards are FAT32 (2 gig and above).
    > Also, if your older camera is a different manufacturer, it will use a different
    > directory name under DCIM to hold the files. In theory the USB mass storage
    > devices should handle it, but it is a possible problem.
    >
    > Given card readers can be had for $10-20, it might be simpler to just get a
    > card reader. For instance:
    > http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=FPT-D-12&cat=CAM

    The requirements for the cardreader are Windows or Mac OS 8, so I'd basically
    just have the same problem with the cardreader that I have with the A75,
    wouldn't I? It looks like gphoto2 will probably work though.

    BDB, Nov 24, 2004
  10. BDB <> writes:

    >The requirements for the cardreader are Windows or Mac OS 8, so I'd basically
    >just have the same problem with the cardreader that I have with the A75,
    >wouldn't I? It looks like gphoto2 will probably work though.

    Linux supports cardreaders, since they are USB mass storage devices.

    The problem with the A75 camera is that it *doesn't* emulate a mass
    storage device, so you can't talk to it without a special driver.
    But put the CF card into a standard card reader, and Linux should have
    not problems.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Nov 25, 2004
  11. BDB <> writes:

    > Michael Meissner wrote:
    > > It depends. If you use a CF card formatted for FAT32, your older camera will
    > > not understand it. Typically only large CF cards are FAT32 (2 gig and above).
    > > Also, if your older camera is a different manufacturer, it will use a different
    > > directory name under DCIM to hold the files. In theory the USB mass storage
    > > devices should handle it, but it is a possible problem.
    > >
    > > Given card readers can be had for $10-20, it might be simpler to just get a
    > > card reader. For instance:
    > > http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=FPT-D-12&cat=CAM

    > The requirements for the cardreader are Windows or Mac OS 8, so I'd basically
    > just have the same problem with the cardreader that I have with the A75,
    > wouldn't I? It looks like gphoto2 will probably work though.

    Nope. Linux 2.4.x and above supports USB card readers (I have several,
    including the card readers attached to my HP 375B printer, and my x-drive II
    portable storage unit). Every so often, I find a particular kernel rev is
    incompatible with a given reader, so I fall back for a few revs. Like all USB
    mass storage devices, the card reader shows up as a SCSI disk when inserted.

    Note, if you have a card reader for multiple card formats, you might need to
    recompile your kernel with Multiple LUN support in the scsi driver, so the
    kernel knows to create multiple devices to handle each different card reader.
    For example, I have a sandisk 3-in-one reader with one CF slot and a combined
    SD/MMC slot. If I compile with Multiple LUN support on my laptop (which has no
    scsi drives), the CF reader is /dev/sda, and the SD/MMC reader is /dev/sdb, and
    to mount a CF card I would do as root:

    # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

    If you have an HP unit like my printer, you have to configure HPOJ to know
    about the unit and provide the card reader.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Nov 25, 2004
  12. BDB

    MarkH Guest

    BDB <> wrote in

    > Michael Meissner wrote:
    >> It depends. If you use a CF card formatted for FAT32, your older
    >> camera will not understand it. Typically only large CF cards are
    >> FAT32 (2 gig and above). Also, if your older camera is a different
    >> manufacturer, it will use a different directory name under DCIM to
    >> hold the files. In theory the USB mass storage devices should handle
    >> it, but it is a possible problem.
    >>
    >> Given card readers can be had for $10-20, it might be simpler to just
    >> get a card reader. For instance:
    >> http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=FPT-D-12&cat=CAM

    > The requirements for the cardreader are Windows or Mac OS 8, so I'd
    > basically just have the same problem with the cardreader that I have
    > with the A75, wouldn't I? It looks like gphoto2 will probably work
    > though.

    Nah, I pulled the CF card out of the Canon A95 here, plugged it into the
    USB2 card reader and plugged that into the USB socket of a PC running SuSE
    9.2, voila the card appeared as a drive in 'my computer'. I had no problem
    copying the files to my home folder.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)

    MarkH, Nov 25, 2004
  13. BDB

    BDB Guest

    After rebooting Windows, MarkH wrote:
    > Nah, I pulled the CF card out of the Canon A95 here, plugged it into the
    > USB2 card reader and plugged that into the USB socket of a PC running SuSE
    > 9.2, voila the card appeared as a drive in 'my computer'. I had no problem
    > copying the files to my home folder.

    Thanks for all the info everyone. End result: I bought the A75 and gphoto2
    detected it without me doing anything. Works perfectly.

    BDB, Nov 29, 2004