    offered me a one year old Nikon Coolpix 5000 for £280.

    From what I've read the A70 is very good, whereas the CP5000 is pretty good,
    but not entirely excellent. Would I be correct in thinking this judgments
    are made against other cameras in each of the camera's classes - and the
    Nikon is better than the Canon?

    Would I be stupid to turn down the Coolpix 5000 offer?

    Regards,

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Hi Ian,

    I'd go for the Nikon C5000.

    Okay, its not perfect for low light but in its favour are better build
    quality, battery pack supplied, can use Micro-drives, has flip-out screen,
    can take dedicated flashguns, one of the very few cameras (at present) that
    begin their zoom range at 28mm which is great for landscape, custom modes,
    great macro down to around 2cm I believe, and lots more accessories can be
    attatched, sugh as remote cords, synch sockets for studio flash, etc..

    The Canon A70 is a good camera but the Nikon was aimed at a higher level to
    begin with so gets my vote. The benefit of the Canon is a years warranty.

    Also, I happen to own a Sony S85 and glad to hear about the new Sony
    DSC-S828 which will take CF cards as well.

    Mind you, the price of the new Canon 300D will look very tempting as well.

    Cheers,
    Stephen
    Edinburgh
    "Ian" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm new to this digital photography game, but I am interested in taking up
    > the hobby and I am looking to buy my first camera. From what I've read,

    > was about to buy a new Canon Powershot A70 (£230). However a friend has
    > offered me a one year old Nikon Coolpix 5000 for £280.
    >
    > From what I've read the A70 is very good, whereas the CP5000 is pretty

    good,

    Stephen Leslie, Aug 22, 2003

  3. Ian

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: "Stephen Leslie"
    Date: Fri, Aug 22, 2003 9:41 AM

    "Ian" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm new to this digital photography game, but I am interested in taking up
    > the hobby and I am looking to buy my first camera. From what I've read,

    > was about to buy a new Canon Powershot A70 (£230). However a friend has
    > offered me a one year old Nikon Coolpix 5000 for £280.
    >
    > From what I've read the A70 is very good, whereas the CP5000 is pretty

    good,
    > but not entirely excellent. Would I be correct in thinking this judgments
    > are made against other cameras in each of the camera's classes - and the
    > Nikon is better than the Canon?
    >
    > Would I be stupid to turn down the Coolpix 5000 offer?
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Ian
    >

    >><BR><BR>

    Or, perhaps a better comparison would be with the Canon G3 a much more
    competitive machine to the Sony 5000 and available at a better price.

    FredBillie, Aug 23, 2003