PowerPost2000 and reposting missing segments.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by English Patient, Sep 15, 2004.

  1. I use PP2K to post largish (~7MB) files to newsgroups.

    PP2K splits the file into a number of segments, which both my newsreaders,
    Outlook Express (nonyenc) and Ozum (yenc) lists as shown below

    Track01.mp3 (1/6)
    Track01.mp3 (2/6)
    Track01.mp3 (3/6)
    Track01.mp3 (4/6)
    Track01.mp3 (5/6)
    Track01.mp3 (6/6)

    If anyone who wants this file sees they are missing a segment I can easily
    repost the missing one - PP2K makes this v. easy.

    My problem is this. I keep getting request from people saying the file has
    arrived incomplete to their server and they want the WHOLE file reposted.
    They don't ask for the missing segments, rather they want the whole thing.

    My only experience with newsgroup-readers is with my 2 above, so my question
    is this. Are there some news-readers out there that given an incomplete file
    then me reposting the missing segment won't fix it for them?

    I know (I think) that some newsreaders do not list all available segments.
    And when there is an incomplete file put out something like [incomplete
    file, missing segments 2,3,4]. Would reposting these missing segments fix
    the file, and in so doing remove the error message ??

    Can someone with some knowledge please assist.

    P.

    English Patient, Sep 15, 2004

  2. English Patient

    °Mike° Guest

    If people want to download files that you have spent
    the time uploading, and part/s of those files are missing,
    then the downloaders should either get a news server
    with better completeness and retention, or they should
    use a newsreader that will retrieve missing sections.
    There is absolutely no reason for you to accomodate
    people who can't do one or the other.

    Tell them to try Agent
    http://www.forteinc.com

    Or NewsBin Pro
    http://www.newsbin.com/

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:52:24 +0100, in
    <ci9v8n$s9j$>
    English Patient scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 15, 2004

  3. So are there newsreaders that won't retrieve missing segments ??

    I want to be able to act all pissy when the requests for file-reposts come
    in, and not have people come back with "but my newsreader doesn't like
    seggies reposted"

    P.

    ps. Do you know what happens when (1) you have a complete file listed in the
    headers (2) the poster reposts a missing segment for someone with crappy
    reader (3) so at your end you have one extra segment ? Would the file
    combine/decode fine with either version of that segment.

    Of course I could use alt.temp to find this out, but if you know the answer
    it'd be quicker :)

    I guess deleting the latter version of the segment would be the easiest
    thing to do.

    P.

    ps. I've taken a note of the newsreader linx

    English Patient, Sep 15, 2004
  4. English Patient

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:35:38 +0100, in
    <cia1pq$18n$>
    English Patient scrawled:

    >So are there newsreaders that won't retrieve missing segments ??

    I don't have first hand knowledge of every single newsreader,
    so I couldn't say -- I've never even tried Outhouse Distress
    for binaries.

    >I want to be able to act all pissy when the requests for file-reposts come
    >in, and not have people come back with "but my newsreader doesn't like
    >seggies reposted"

    Then act all pissy, and tell them to change their newsreader
    or news server. Again, there is no onus on you to repost.

    >P.
    >
    >ps. Do you know what happens when (1) you have a complete file listed in the
    >headers (2) the poster reposts a missing segment for someone with crappy
    >reader (3) so at your end you have one extra segment ? Would the file
    >combine/decode fine with either version of that segment.

    Yes, it will combine/decode with either, but some newsreaders
    will show one "complete" file, and an extra "section"; Agent does
    this.

    >Of course I could use alt.temp to find this out, but if you know the answer
    >it'd be quicker :)
    >
    >I guess deleting the latter version of the segment would be the easiest
    >thing to do.

    The easiest thing to do would be to NOT use Outhouse Distress.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 15, 2004
  5. English Patient

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:52:24 +0100, English Patient wrote:

    >I use PP2K to post largish (~7MB) files to newsgroups.

    Little wee bitty tiny files you mean.....

    >PP2K splits the file into a number of segments, which both my newsreaders,
    >Outlook Express (nonyenc) and Ozum (yenc) lists as shown below
    >
    >Track01.mp3 (1/6)

    <snip>
    >Track01.mp3 (6/6)
    >
    >If anyone who wants this file sees they are missing a segment I can easily
    >repost the missing one - PP2K makes this v. easy.
    >
    >My problem is this. I keep getting request from people saying the file has
    >arrived incomplete to their server and they want the WHOLE file reposted.
    >They don't ask for the missing segments, rather they want the whole thing.

    That's all too common, try a dvd group 4.7GB as something like 130 x
    50MB files x 120 segments each.

    In my experience most people have access to 2 or 3 Usenet servers and
    can get parts from multiple sources. Some newsreaders I understand can /
    may do this, while some have multiple server setup. I am still waiting
    for Forte Agent to catchup on both points.

    >My only experience with newsgroup-readers is with my 2 above, so my question
    >is this. Are there some news-readers out there that given an incomplete file
    >then me reposting the missing segment won't fix it for them?

    Sometimes it's knowing how to work your newsreader, it wasn't long ago I
    stopped deleting incomplete posts, redownloading all headers in Agent
    hoping to get all the segments. I found Message / Split sections and
    download headers normally worked very well. If not I could join, say 115
    out of 118 segments, save that accepting the error.
    Then using the commonly provided 10 or 12% recovery files PAR2. This
    would detect the 115/118 , i.e. 3 missing segements and repair it.

    >I know (I think) that some newsreaders do not list all available segments.
    >And when there is an incomplete file put out something like [incomplete

    Forte Agnet has a bug (only found this out last week), if an app like PP
    sends -

    Subject - Filename - [x/y]

    It always marks every segment as missing but it isn't (a select parts
    and join shows the post as complete),40tude Dialog doesn't show this
    problem.

    Posting from PP with this format, Agent will join the sections
    automatically.

    Subject - [x/y] - Filename

    >file, missing segments 2,3,4]. Would reposting these missing segments fix

    Deleting the incomplete post (parts), and redownloading all headers
    again may work.

    >the file, and in so doing remove the error message ??
    >
    >Can someone with some knowledge please assist.

    If you mention the actual group, it's possible to check using the
    readers I have handy. Forte Agent and 40tude Dialog.

    You may want to try the newer modified YencPPA&A11b
    http://powerpost.free.fr/

    Me

    why?, Sep 15, 2004
  6. Thanx for the reply.

    I'm off to bitchslap an iratating(?) customer with their crappy free ISP.

    P.

    ps. if that iratating customer is reading this, I don't mean you.

    English Patient, Sep 15, 2004
  7. Wow, lot to read. Will save to read after me bath :)

    Quickly, pars have always confused me and I have justified not using/posting
    them by promising to always fill requests. Being on a dial-up posting
    par-files is (1) too much and (2) not necessary if everything gets thru.
    This one particular dnldr is saying headers have gone from his newsreader
    within 12hrs of them being posted by me...... newbies!!!!!!! ug! Maybe what
    is needed is a "How to deal with Newbies" info.pak, but that's for another
    group.
    My aim when posting has been to give everyone who wanted a copy a complete
    uncorrupted copy, dealing with all repost/refills requests as they arrive.
    But with request for the reposting of 4 files not more than 12hours after
    they were posted (for the 2nd time!!!!!) I quickly considering reviewing
    this ideal-aim. It may soon be a case of: this is what I'm gonna do, if you
    don't like it then tuff.

    P.

    ps. - re: PowerPP2K-yenc - great, I'll use that and be flooded with
    newbie-nonyencers wondering why all they get it a file full of weird
    characters ............... :)

    English Patient, Sep 15, 2004