    awkward little git at times. Anybody able to point us in the right
    direction?

    thanks
    eugene, Feb 6, 2008

  2. eugene

    philo Guest

    "eugene" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi folks, a wee bit of a problem here. I am using Vista and my wife needs

    > create a Powerpoint presentation for school. She is only accustomed to

    using
    > XP and I haven't a clue how she is going to do this. Seems like Vista is

    an
    > awkward little git at times. Anybody able to point us in the right
    > direction?
    >
    > thanks

    Powerpoint operates exactly the same way on Vista as it did on XP...
    so there is nothing new to learn.
    philo, Feb 6, 2008

  3. eugene

    Mike Easter Guest

    eugene wrote:
    > a wee bit of a problem here. I am using Vista and my wife
    > needs to create a Powerpoint presentation for school.

    PowerPoint is a MS brand name, proprietary program which is marketed as
    a part of MS Office, which Office comes at a steep price and which
    Office 2007 has a default document format which is incompatible with the
    rest of the world.

    She would do better to create a 'powerpoint-like' presentation in a
    program which produces worldwide compatible format such as OpenOffice
    Impress. OO suite is free and available for platforms Win, Mac, Linux,
    Solaris, etc.

    http://www.openoffice.org/ OpenOffice.org is a multiplatform and
    multilingual office suite and an open-source project.

    > She is only
    > accustomed to using XP and I haven't a clue how she is going to do
    > this. Seems like Vista is an awkward little git at times. Anybody
    > able to point us in the right direction?

    XP and Vista are versions of the MS operating system. They don't 'come
    with' PowerPoint. MS would like for you to buy the Office suite.

    MS provides only a free powerpoint viewer, which doesn't 'make'
    powerpoint files, just displays or prints those which are made with
    something else.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 6, 2008
  4. eugene

    Mike Easter Guest

    eugene wrote:

    > will I need to download the actual
    > Powerpoint program or should it be in my unopened Microsoft Works
    > disc that came with this PC?

    PowerPoint will not be in your Works suite. Don't bother opening Works.

    Get the OpenOffice suite. Its document format is more compatible than
    the newest MS suite, which can't make the most universal format, Open
    Document.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 6, 2008
  5. eugene

    eugene Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > eugene wrote:
    >> a wee bit of a problem here. I am using Vista and my wife
    >> needs to create a Powerpoint presentation for school.

    > PowerPoint is a MS brand name, proprietary program which is marketed as
    > a part of MS Office, which Office comes at a steep price and which
    > Office 2007 has a default document format which is incompatible with the
    > rest of the world.
    >
    > She would do better to create a 'powerpoint-like' presentation in a
    > program which produces worldwide compatible format such as OpenOffice
    > Impress. OO suite is free and available for platforms Win, Mac, Linux,
    > Solaris, etc.
    >
    > http://www.openoffice.org/ OpenOffice.org is a multiplatform and
    > multilingual office suite and an open-source project.
    >
    >> She is only
    >> accustomed to using XP and I haven't a clue how she is going to do
    >> this. Seems like Vista is an awkward little git at times. Anybody
    >> able to point us in the right direction?

    > XP and Vista are versions of the MS operating system. They don't 'come
    > with' PowerPoint. MS would like for you to buy the Office suite.
    >
    > MS provides only a free powerpoint viewer, which doesn't 'make'
    > powerpoint files, just displays or prints those which are made with
    > something else.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks for all of that Mike. I actually found an old disc with the complete
    Office 2000 program so I got Powerpoint from it and my wife will now be able
    to use the program she is used to. I wouldn't dare try and persuade her to
    try Open Office (recommended to me here a while back). Keep it simple is my
    MO as much as possible. Thanks again.....and to Philo

    (nice name......Easter (is it real?)................. considering this is
    the first day of Lent............))
    eugene, Feb 6, 2008
  6. eugene

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > eugene wrote:
    >> a wee bit of a problem here. I am using Vista and my wife
    >> needs to create a Powerpoint presentation for school.

    > She would do better to create a 'powerpoint-like' presentation in a
    > program which produces worldwide compatible format such as OpenOffice
    > Impress.

    Here's a tutorial for how to make an OO Impress presentation.
    http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/category_index/presentation.html
    IMPRESS (Presentation) Tutorials

    What is Impress?
    Presentation Wizard and Templates
    Restart a presentation automatically
    Convert MS Powerpoint presentation to OpenOffice Impress presentation
    Fontwork Gallery
    Automate Slides In Your Presentation

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 6, 2008
  7. eugene

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:12:57 -0000, "eugene" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >I think the problem lies with the fact that Powerpoint is not on my system.
    >It would appear that there is a Powerpoint Viewer sitting on it's own! That
    >being the case, will I need to download the actual Powerpoint program or
    >should it be in my unopened Microsoft Works disc that came with this PC?

    PowerPoint itself comes with some versions of Microsoft Office, not Works.

    --
    "Every time I say something they find hard to hear, they chalk it up
    to my anger, and never to their own fear." -- Ani DiFranco
    Mara, Feb 6, 2008
  8. eugene

    Mike Easter Guest

    eugene wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Office 2007 has a default document format which is incompatible with
    >> the rest of the world.

    > I actually found an old disc with the
    > complete Office 2000 program so I got Powerpoint from it and my wife
    > will now be able to use the program she is used to.

    At least the older Office formats before Office 2007 are more
    compatible.

    > (nice name......Easter (is it real?)................. considering
    > this is the first day of Lent............))

    Surely you've heard of....

    _my kiester_

    .... as in 'kiss my kiester' 'I fell on my kiester' 'I'm freezing my
    kiester off'

    I'm a big 'calendar' buff, and the important history of developments of
    the calendar all revolve around religious observations, most especially
    Easter.

    The business about when Lent begins and when Easter is is actually very
    very complicated. Just try to make a calendar that involves both the
    sun and the moon and you will find yourself with a very complicated
    beast.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 7, 2008
  9. eugene

    G. Morgan Guest

    Ping: Mike Easter big 'calendar' buff

    Mike Easter wrote (in another thread):

    >I'm a big 'calendar' buff, and the important history of developments of
    >the calendar all revolve around religious observations, most especially
    >Easter.

    I've been fascinated by the possible upcoming events of December 21, 2012. Do
    you think there's anything to that?

    --

    -G
    G. Morgan, Feb 7, 2008
  10. eugene

    Mike Easter Guest

    Re: Mike Easter big 'calendar' buff

    G. Morgan wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote (in another thread):
    >
    >> I'm a big 'calendar' buff, and the important history of developments
    >> of the calendar all revolve around religious observations, most
    >> especially Easter.

    > I've been fascinated by the possible upcoming events of December 21,
    > 2012. Do you think there's anything to that?

    Most mainstream Maya scholars (including Maya Calendar scholars) do not
    buy into the New Age spirituality of Jose Arguelles and his writings.

    The serious maya calendar afficionados don't even think that Arguelles
    got his date right.

    But, I think there is value in studying Mayan mythology, just as there
    is value in studying some of our current mythologies and belief systems.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 7, 2008
  11. eugene

    > eugene wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> Office 2007 has a default document format which is incompatible with
    >>> the rest of the world.

    >> I actually found an old disc with the
    >> complete Office 2000 program so I got Powerpoint from it and my wife
    >> will now be able to use the program she is used to.

    > At least the older Office formats before Office 2007 are more
    > compatible.
    >

    >> (nice name......Easter (is it real?)................. considering
    >> this is the first day of Lent............))

    > Surely you've heard of....
    >
    > _my kiester_
    >
    > ... as in 'kiss my kiester' 'I fell on my kiester' 'I'm freezing my
    > kiester off'
    >

    > I'm a big 'calendar' buff, and the important history of developments of
    > the calendar all revolve around religious observations, most especially
    > Easter.
    >
    > The business about when Lent begins and when Easter is is actually very
    > very complicated. Just try to make a calendar that involves both the
    > sun and the moon and you will find yourself with a very complicated
    > beast.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Sorry...not familiar with all American slang as I live in Ireland
    eugene, Feb 7, 2008