    Any sob stories, nightmares or suggestions appreciated.

    --
    Jim PKP

    Jim PKP, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Jim PKP

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Jim PKP said:

    > Does anyone have any personal experience with Powerline ethernet?
    > I'm considering using it for a home network - well, network is a bit rich
    > really 2 PCs, one with XP the other with 2000.

    Never heard of it let alone used it, I just jumped in to say that the use of the
    word network is ok in this instance.

    > Any sob stories, nightmares or suggestions appreciated.

    Loads of sob stories and nightmares, as for suggestions, getting drunk and/or
    laid sounds good to me ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Jim PKP

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    "Jim PKP" <> wrote in news:CTL%b.4874$:

    > Does anyone have any personal experience with Powerline ethernet?
    > I'm considering using it for a home network - well, network is a bit rich
    > really 2 PCs, one with XP the other with 2000.
    >
    > Any sob stories, nightmares or suggestions appreciated.

    I think it's a great concept. Other than that nothing to add but some links:

    http://www.securitynewswire.com/cgi-bin/news8.cgi?target=j128120710
    http://www.homeplug.com/

    Fuzzy Logic, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Jim PKP wrote:
    :: Does anyone have any personal experience with Powerline ethernet?
    :: I'm considering using it for a home network - well, network is a bit
    :: rich really 2 PCs, one with XP the other with 2000.
    ::
    :: Any sob stories, nightmares or suggestions appreciated.
    ::
    Any particular one in mind? I did use mains-based data links but they were
    problematic. I had to put a low pass filter on the main building supply
    (VERY expensive) and low pass filters on many of the outlets. And I live in
    a rural area with little industry and hence little ambient radiated noise.
    Wifi is now so cheap and it is so easy to make your own aerials, if needed
    for extra range, that using the power cable is more fuss than it is worth...

    eric the seal, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Jim PKP

    w_tom Guest

    You will have experience similar to what X-10 users suffer.
    These problems are discussed often in the newsgroup
    alt.home.automation . for example, devices with high
    capacitance loads (ie plug-in UPS) will quash power line
    signals. Signaling problems may require a bypass in breaker
    box. An important tool for power line signaling is the meter
    - a radio receiver that measures power of that power line
    signal. This meter has located 'signal eaters' quickly after
    the problem solver spent hours trying to understand a
    mysterious and intermittent failure.

    Better is phone wire networking. I believe the Intel
    product is called something like Network Anywhere. It caused
    me substantial headaches in a Windows 98 system - evening
    interfering with Scandisk. But then those are problems
    directly traceable to the kludge design known as Windows
    9x/ME. Better to use phone line networking rather than power
    line networking - technical reasons not explain for brevity.

    w_tom, Feb 28, 2004
  6. Jim PKP

    Mike245 Guest

    Jim PKP wrote:

    > Does anyone have any personal experience with Powerline ethernet?
    > I'm considering using it for a home network - well, network is a bit rich
    > really 2 PCs, one with XP the other with 2000.
    >
    > Any sob stories, nightmares or suggestions appreciated.

    No experience but they seem to work OK for a lot/some of people. Try it
    and keep your receipts just in case:

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=powerline ethernet reviews&btnG=Google Search

    --
    Mike
    Block Banner Ads Now

    Mike245, Mar 1, 2004
  7. And please post your results! I was looking at that last night myself.

    Tim

    Tim-n-Puppies, Mar 1, 2004
  8. I have the netgear powerline ethernet plugs set up at my house and they work
    wonderfully. I have 3 Computers set up in the basement of the house and 3
    on the third floor. All 6 can be going at once with no trouble. The only
    problem is that your neighbors might be able to hook one up to their socket
    and get onto your network, but most of the folks around here are elderly and
    dont give a damn about that stuff :)

    Any questions, feel free to email me at
    genesisblue at attbi and then com

    Adam