    BB
    NZ

    --
    BB, Feb 4, 2005

  2. In article <4203e94c$>, "BB" <> wrote:

    >has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an independant
    >power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?

    How about Power Over Ethernet? A switch might require too much power for
    USB.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Feb 4, 2005

  3. BB

    EMB Guest

    BB wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an independant
    > power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    >
    > I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of devices
    > sucking power around the office...

    You can get 4 port one's that fit in a PCI slot.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Feb 4, 2005
  4. BB said the following on 5/02/2005 10:29 a.m.:
    > Hi,
    >
    > has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an independant
    > power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    >
    > I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of devices
    > sucking power around the office...
    >
    > Rgds
    >
    > BB
    > NZ

    Is this a power consumption issue or a tangle of leads issue?

    If it is power consumption you wont win since the switch no matter what
    type will draw power!

    If it is tangle of leads or even a heat issue then there are some options.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 4, 2005
  5. BB

    BB Guest

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an independant
    >> power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    >>
    >> I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of devices
    >> sucking power around the office...

    > You can get 4 port one's that fit in a PCI slot.

    Interesting...so does it act like a NIC for the host PC, or do you need to
    run a patch lead from the PCI switch up to your PCs existing NIC?

    BB
    NZ
    BB, Feb 4, 2005
  6. BB

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 10:29:48 +1300, BB wrote:

    > has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an independant
    > power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    >
    > I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of devices
    > sucking power around the office...

    Now, gentle people, is this a case of fingers engagaed at the keyboard
    before the brain has engaged?

    Or is it a troll speaking?
    Gordon, Feb 5, 2005
  7. BB

    EMB Guest

    BB wrote:

    > Interesting...so does it act like a NIC for the host PC, or do you need to
    > run a patch lead from the PCI switch up to your PCs existing NIC?

    Yes. DSE used to sell them as part number XH7914 - try a search on
    their site for it for the support documents to get some idea of how they
    worked.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Feb 5, 2005
  8. BB

    Adder Guest

    In article <4203e94c$> in nz.comp on Sat, 5 Feb 2005
    10:29:48 +1300, BB <> says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an independant
    > power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    >
    > I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of devices
    > sucking power around the office...

    if its not sucking via a powerpack it will be sucking out of the Psu or
    your PC insted
    Adder, Feb 5, 2005
  9. On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:29:48 +1300, BB wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an independant
    > power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    >
    > I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of devices
    > sucking power around the office...
    >
    > Rgds
    >
    > BB
    > NZ

    There are osme now that can recharge using solar energy. Yoo just have to
    leave them out in the sunlight duiring the day - return them back to your
    network cabinet at night (or just leave the lights on).

    Probably in a backwater such as NZ you can't get one though :(
    wogers nemesis, Feb 5, 2005
  10. BB

    Jerry Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:29:48 +1300, BB wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an independant
    >>power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    >>
    >>I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of devices
    >>sucking power around the office...
    >>
    >>Rgds
    >>
    >>BB
    >>NZ

    > There are osme now that can recharge using solar energy. Yoo just have to
    > leave them out in the sunlight duiring the day - return them back to your
    > network cabinet at night (or just leave the lights on).
    >
    > Probably in a backwater such as NZ you can't get one though :(

    You can't get the nuclear powered ones here either :(

    Jerry
    Jerry, Feb 5, 2005
  11. In <1xl01odwekzsl.1mf92y1ug97z2$> wogers nemesis wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:29:48 +1300, BB wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an
    >> independant power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    >>
    >> I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of
    >> devices sucking power around the office... Rgds BB NZ

    > There are osme now that can recharge using solar energy. Yoo just
    > have to leave them out in the sunlight duiring the day - return them
    > back to your network cabinet at night (or just leave the lights on).
    >
    > Probably in a backwater such as NZ you can't get one though :(

    Especially considering the high demand there would be for them, from all
    those people running networks of solar-powered laptops.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 5, 2005
  12. In <> Adder wrote:
    > In article <4203e94c$> in nz.comp on Sat, 5 Feb 2005
    > 10:29:48 +1300, BB <> says...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an
    >> independant power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    >>
    >> I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of
    >> devices sucking power around the office...

    > if its not sucking via a powerpack it will be sucking out of the Psu
    > or your PC insted

    True, but it's a lot more energy efficient to run one big power supply
    than several small ones, and unless it's switched off at the mains power
    outlet each one of those plug packs is using energy even when the device
    it's powering is not on.

    Using a computer to power a network hub is a good idea if that computer
    is the network's server, but for peer-to-peer networks it's a major
    drawback since if the computer is off (or removed) the entire network
    goes down.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Feb 5, 2005
  13. BB

    BB Guest

    >> has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an independant
    >> power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    >>
    >> I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of devices
    >> sucking power around the office...

    > Now, gentle people, is this a case of fingers engagaed at the keyboard
    > before the brain has engaged?
    >
    > Or is it a troll speaking?

    Pot calling the kettle black me thinks...why bother?

    I have a legitimate query, and what is Usenet for if not to share knowledge?

    Troll somewhere else please.

    BB
    NZ
    BB, Feb 5, 2005
  14. BB wrote:
    > has anyone ever heard of a switch or hub that didn't need an independant
    > power supply? Maybe there is one that's powered off USB?
    > I don't know...just thinking of how I can reduce the amount of devices
    > sucking power around the office...

    whether it grabs power from USB or from the wall socket, it's still
    grabbing the same amount of power, potentially more via USB due to
    in-efficiencies in the PSU.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 5, 2005
  15. BB wrote:
    >>You can get 4 port one's that fit in a PCI slot.

    > Interesting...so does it act like a NIC for the host PC, or do you need to
    > run a patch lead from the PCI switch up to your PCs existing NIC?

    it pretends to be a local NIC, and 4 port unmanaged hub... I've been
    waiting for a managed swutch version, thought it'd be fairly cheap/easy
    to make, but 4 years and nothing yet.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2005
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 6/02/2005 2:23 p.m.:
    > BB wrote:
    >
    >>> You can get 4 port one's that fit in a PCI slot.

    >> Interesting...so does it act like a NIC for the host PC, or do you
    >> need to run a patch lead from the PCI switch up to your PCs existing NIC?

    > it pretends to be a local NIC, and 4 port unmanaged hub... I've been
    > waiting for a managed swutch version, thought it'd be fairly cheap/easy
    > to make, but 4 years and nothing yet.

    Reminds me of a site, a travel agent that had 10base 2 system that used
    a concentrator sort of a BNC Hub to concentrate 4 ring circuits. It was
    old and it failed. The new concentrator for 10 base 2 was going to be
    about $2000 a recable in UTP would have been about $5000 so we needed a
    solution.

    Easy when lateral thought was applied, I bought 5 10base T hubs that
    also had a 10 Base 2 port and linked them together about $250 worth of
    parts to keep an old system running.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Feb 6, 2005