    18
    hey guys, i was just wondering how i could power a ccfl without a psu?
    cause i want to put one on my desk above my monitor

    SynDR0m3, Jul 15, 2005

  2. SynDR0m3

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You need 12 volts to power the cold cathode. I have several cold cathode tubes taped to the edge of glass tables in my printer-to-computer-deja-vu machine. I used black duct tape (3" wide) to hold the tubes there, and to block out the light that wasn't going through the edge of the glass tables. My 12 volts come from the machine, using molex extensions. You could get a 12 volt regulated power supply from Radio Shack, and then wire up a Molex connector to support the cold cathode(s). However, I recommend just running one PSU line out the back of your case with extensions to power up your cold cathode(s). :p

    bigal, Jul 15, 2005

  3. SynDR0m3

    Technoholic

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2005
    Messages:
    185
    That I would like to do.

    Technoholic, Jul 15, 2005
  4. SynDR0m3

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    or.... u could get a spare psu and connect the green and black(on atx connector)(or use the at button on a at psu) and u got yourself 230watts(well thats what mine is :D) for cold cathodes!

    unholy, Jul 16, 2005
  5. SynDR0m3

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My speciality...

    ...is making plant rack fan buses, where I jumper the two pins on the PSU connector, and use the PSU to run some fans on two plant racks my wife has for growing orchids. Plug the PSU into a timer with the plant lights, and it's all automatic. Works great. This is what I do with the cheap PSUs that come with cheap cases. :p

    bigal, Jul 16, 2005
  6. SynDR0m3

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    lol, man u have the funniest ideas :D, but most of them are cool, u have to get us some pics of the plant rack :D

    unholy, Jul 17, 2005
  7. SynDR0m3

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You know, I wasted 30 minutes trying to track down old digital pictures of the plant racks, and could not find them. I don't understand that, as I thought I had saved all my digital pictures. Anyway, I decided to take some new pictures of them, so here we go:
    The first set is from the basement plant rack, which even has a blue cold cathode light on top. I usually have the light switched off, as who's gonna be looking at that when the plant lights are on anyway? This install has three fans running with a fan controller, and the PSU is on top of the rack.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now here is the upstairs plant rack, located in our sitting room (off the master bedroom). This is a smaller rack, with only two shelves. I have two fans running here, with a rheostat to control them. The PSU is hanging from the top bracket.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    In both cases, I used cheap, generic PSUs with a jumper in the motherboard connector to fool it into thinking it has the power-on signal from the motherboard. These work great, and have all the normal over-voltage, over-current protections you want to have running with a custom installation. In other words, it should be save to run, just like having your computer running. I have them on timers, as the plants don't need a breeze on them 24/7. On top of that, we don't want to listen to fans running upstairs, so they shut down around 10:30PM. 8)

    bigal, Jul 18, 2005
  8. SynDR0m3

    SynDR0m3

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2005
    Messages:
    18
    thats pretty cool al, but the main reason i want to power it without a psu, is because i'm really short on money at the moment, i'm also building a comp for the garage, instead of using a stereo for outside by the pool :p
    i'm modding it as well (window, neon etc.) if theres enough space inside the box i'm using, its not a proper case its like one of them old tape boxes...anyway, specs will prbly be like
    p3 400, 128mb ram, onboard gfx, onboard sound, win xp pro...but some REALLY beefy speakers, if i had a digi cam i'd create a worklog but i cbf so yea lol anywayz soz bout the long post!! hehe.

    SynDR0m3, Aug 1, 2005
  9. SynDR0m3

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You still need 12 volts for the cold cathodes...

    Well, how are you going to get the 12 volts without a PSU? You can use a regulated power supply from Radioshack. You can even build your own 12 volt power supply with a transformer and some capacitors / diodes / etc. Overall though, it's much cheaper to use a cheap PSU that comes bundled with a cheap PC case. You would probably spend $30 for the parts themselves, and then you still have the concern over how safe it was to operate. :viking:

    bigal, Aug 1, 2005
  10. SynDR0m3

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    leave the transformer out man its a dangerous business without knowledge, al probably could write a tutorial on how to make invertos and transformer but u will still need knowledge :| (make it its a good idea, for those people who can mod very very very well and have a small amount of electronics in their background)

    unholy, Aug 1, 2005
  11. SynDR0m3

    Flukemanguy

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    169
    oi unholy! stfu! if Nathan wants to die! Let him die! Then EVERYONE wins :p :p :p :p

    Flukemanguy, Aug 12, 2005
  12. SynDR0m3

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Stop telling me to die please... i prefer to live.... or be a cowboy!

    unholy, Aug 13, 2005
  13. SynDR0m3

    Flukemanguy

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    169
    Honestly, I think its time for unholy to get OFF the weed

    Flukemanguy, Aug 13, 2005
  14. SynDR0m3

    CJRulz

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2005
    Messages:
    56
    Unholy move to texas then you might have a better chance of becoming a cowboy :D :p

    CJRulz, Aug 13, 2005
  15. SynDR0m3

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Yah i am alive! :D
    Cowboy, i doubt it surely u didn't read "..."
    PS :: Staff pages says my names is Nathan so :p

    unholy, Aug 13, 2005
  16. SynDR0m3

    Flukemanguy

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    169
    Oh right I meant Syndrome = Nathan my bad :D lol but ya, every one tell Syndrome to use lotsa shitty transformers

    Flukemanguy, Aug 21, 2005
  17. SynDR0m3

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    or u could go to the dump and look in old no overclocked 486 cases :D

    unholy, Aug 22, 2005
  18. SynDR0m3

    Gez

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2005
    Messages:
    218
    Ok... what are you growing in those plant racks?

    Gez, Oct 17, 2005
  19. SynDR0m3

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    chickens ????
    i am off by miles hey :p
    I found a fix for ur Problem who ever had it.
    Search for an old Outa Box CD Drive. it will have a transformer in it for both 12volt and 5volt. So u will be packed for everything :p
    Look for one that have a Proper 3 Pin plug like the pack of a psu what ever it is called. i got my transformer in the shape of a box with a scsi CD Drive in it... the Scsi cd drvie was hooked to a Paralell connector..

    unholy, Oct 17, 2005
  20. SynDR0m3

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Flower Power

    Orchids. My wife loves orchids. If it makes the wife happy, it makes me happy too. Someday you'll understand! :roll:

    bigal, Oct 18, 2005