    placed in the pack correctly. I have charged the batteries only once.
    Do they need conditioning or something. Any one have any ideas?

    Bo
    Oboe, Jul 22, 2003

  2. Oboe

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 06:46:23 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Oboe
    <> wrote:

    >I bought a set of PowerEx 2200mAh NiMH Rechargeable AA Batteries to
    >use with my Coolpix 5700 battery pack. After charging, they do not
    >seem to work. I put them in the battery pack, turned on the camera
    >and nothing. The light on the charger was green, indicating a
    >complete charge. I checked the polarity several times and they were
    >placed in the pack correctly. I have charged the batteries only once.
    >Do they need conditioning or something. Any one have any ideas?

    Known issue with the MB-E5700. See my page at:
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam/CP5700/Nits/Cp5700_nits.html

    It would appear these high capacity batteries do not adhere to the
    dimension standard for AA's. As such there is an issue with using them
    in the MB-E5700. I had the same problem with Powerex 1800mAh batts.
    You can try using a different make battery in the slot that goes into
    the grip first as the trays slides in. Good luck getting Nikon phone
    tech support to acknowledge this problem. Use the Nikon USA tech
    support site to mail in a letter describing the issue and asking that
    a replacement tray be issues. Someone on the west coast saw my page
    and went through this with Nikon. I'm scheduled to receive my tray
    back via UPS today. Hopefully, I'll get some time to update my page.
    But it seems there is a "silent recall" in regard to this issue.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Jul 22, 2003

  3. Oboe

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:04:36
    -0400, Ed Ruf <nospam*> wrote:

    >It would appear these high capacity batteries do not adhere to the
    >dimension standard for AA's. ...

    The problem is that there is no "dimension standard" for AA cells.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Oboe

    John Navas Guest

    In <gCcTa.63$> on Tue, 22 Jul 2003
    15:19:40 GMT, (alfred) wrote:

    >In article <TecTa.4238$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >>In <> on Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:04:36
    >>-0400, Ed Ruf <nospam*> wrote:
    >>
    >>>It would appear these high capacity batteries do not adhere to the
    >>>dimension standard for AA's. ...

    >>The problem is that there is no "dimension standard" for AA cells.

    >There certainly is a standard. ie look at
    >
    >http://www.fullybattery.com.hk/product/Secondary/Ni-Cd.htm

    The dimensions of one company do not a standard make (with apologies to Yoda).
    The problem is that AA dimensions vary from company to company and product to
    product, because (AFAIK) there is no real industry standard.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jul 22, 2003
  5. Oboe

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:54:43 GMT, in rec.photo.digital John Navas
    <> wrote:

    >The problem is that there is no "dimension standard" for AA cells.

    ANSI C18.1 American National Standard for Dry Cells and
    Batteries-Specifications.
    Ed Ruf, Jul 22, 2003
  6. Oboe

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:32:31
    -0400, Ed Ruf <nospam*> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:54:43 GMT, in rec.photo.digital John Navas
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>The problem is that there is no "dimension standard" for AA cells.

    >ANSI C18.1 American National Standard for Dry Cells and
    >Batteries-Specifications.

    I stand corrected. There's also IEC R6.

    Nonetheless, these standards are often ignored, particularly by manufacturers
    in Asia. C18.1 specifies AA as 50mm x 14.2mm. Now look at
    <http://www.fullybattery.com.hk/product/Secondary/Ni-Cd.htm>. Cells listed as
    AA are all 14.0mm (not 14.2mm), with heights of 48mm and 49.5mm (not to
    mention a lot of even shorter lengths). The usual problem is batteries so
    short that they don't make proper contact, which is part of why so many
    battery holders are designed with long spring contacts. Another problem is
    batteries that are too large in diameter to fit closely sized compartments.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jul 22, 2003
  7. Oboe

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:04:36 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
    <nospam*> wrote:

    >and went through this with Nikon. I'm scheduled to receive my tray
    >back via UPS today. Hopefully, I'll get some time to update my page.
    >But it seems there is a "silent recall" in regard to this issue.

    I received the replacement today and it appears to work fine with my
    Powerex 1800mAh batteries.
    Ed Ruf, Jul 22, 2003