PowerDVD won't playback

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by higgledy, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. higgledy

    higgledy Guest

    If I am logged in as Administrator PowerDVD plays DVDs fine.

    If I am logged in using a regular "Users" account PowerDVD will launch,
    show the PowerDVD screen, When I hit play the screen turns black, shows
    a green "play" flickers and then returns to the PowerDVD Splash Screen.

    Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
    not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.

    This is my system:
    HP xw8000
    Xeon 3.06GHz
    Sony DVD DRU-510A
    Nvidia Quadro4 980 XGL
    1Gb+ RAM

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Phil
    higgledy, Jul 22, 2005

  2. On 22 Jul 2005 13:01:34 -0700, "higgledy" <> wrote:

    >If I am logged in as Administrator PowerDVD plays DVDs fine.
    >
    >If I am logged in using a regular "Users" account PowerDVD will launch,
    >show the PowerDVD screen, When I hit play the screen turns black, shows
    >a green "play" flickers and then returns to the PowerDVD Splash Screen.
    >
    >Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
    >not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.
    >
    >This is my system:
    >HP xw8000
    >Xeon 3.06GHz
    >Sony DVD DRU-510A
    >Nvidia Quadro4 980 XGL
    >1Gb+ RAM
    >
    >Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Phil

    Well I'm sure you've tried uninstalling PowerDVD then reinstalling it
    as a user. Does the "user" have a different screen size than
    administrator, maybe it's PowerDVD 4 which doesn't support two
    displays, and you're using that.

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jul 22, 2005

  3. higgledy

    Stan Brown Guest

    wrote:

    >Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
    >not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.

    I agree. It sounds like "We're grasping at a straw to avoid
    supporting you."

    FWIW, PowerDVD plays fine for me when I'm logged in as limited user.

    Did you install it yourself or was it pre-installed? Maybe there's a
    permission issue with one or more DLLs? I'm adding a.v.d.software to
    the Newsgroups: line, as the folks there are more likely to know the
    answer.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Jul 23, 2005
  4. higgledy

    Biz Guest

    "higgledy" <> wrote in message
    > If I am logged in as Administrator PowerDVD plays DVDs fine.
    >
    > If I am logged in using a regular "Users" account PowerDVD will launch,
    > show the PowerDVD screen, When I hit play the screen turns black, shows
    > a green "play" flickers and then returns to the PowerDVD Splash Screen.
    >
    > Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
    > not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.
    >
    > This is my system:
    > HP xw8000
    > Xeon 3.06GHz
    > Sony DVD DRU-510A
    > Nvidia Quadro4 980 XGL
    > 1Gb+ RAM
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Phil

    Most importantly, what version of PowerDVD, and what OS? This sounds like a
    server machine....
    Biz, Jul 23, 2005
  5. higgledy

    Howard Guest

    Stan Brown <> wrote in

    > On 22 Jul 2005 13:01:34 -0700, "higgledy" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
    >>not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.

    > I agree. It sounds like "We're grasping at a straw to avoid
    > supporting you."

    I disagree. It sounds like OP is excluding information, perhaps in an
    attempt to work up rage against an innocent company. Why? Don't know.

    Do I believe for one second Cyberlink said they do not support PowerDVD?
    Nope. I find it FAR more likely OP is using an older, unsupported,
    possibly did not even work under XP in the first place, version. Getting
    told that "PowerDVD 2.0 is not supported" is not the same as getting told
    "PowerDVD is not supported" although some insist otherwise. Usually,
    people who don't want to pay for the latest version.

    If anything, worst case scenario seems to be that Cyberlink got a request
    for support that said "your software works perfectly fine, just not in the
    configuration I want" and replied "then use it in the configuration that
    works". Right or wrong, this IS a common theme in tech support.

    . Cabal# 24601-fnord | Sleep is irrelevant.
    Howard, Jul 23, 2005
  6. higgledy

    Stan Brown Guest

    On 23 Jul 2005 12:16:26 GMT, Howard <stile99@email..com> wrote:

    >Stan Brown <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 22 Jul 2005 13:01:34 -0700, "higgledy" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Cyberlink Support has told me that PowerDVD is not supported and will
    >>>not play when not logged in as Administrator. This seems like B.S.

    >> I agree. It sounds like "We're grasping at a straw to avoid
    >> supporting you."

    >I disagree. It sounds like OP is excluding information, perhaps in an
    >attempt to work up rage against an innocent company. Why? Don't know.
    >
    >If anything, worst case scenario seems to be that Cyberlink got a request
    >for support that said "your software works perfectly fine, just not in the
    >configuration I want" and replied "then use it in the configuration that
    >works". Right or wrong, this IS a common theme in tech support.

    I would agree with you, IF it was an admin-type application. But
    playing videos? Gimme a break! For a company to say you have to be
    logged in as administrator to play videos -- well, yes, that's BS.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Jul 23, 2005
  7. higgledy

    higgledy Guest

    I am running XP Pro on an HP xw8200. This is an HP workstation grade PC
    with two Xeon CPUs.
    It was preinstalled with PowerDVD 4.0 XP, it ran when logged in as a
    User or as an Admin.
    We re-imaged all of our machines to quickly install the company's (were
    I work) standard software, which runs on Win XP Pro. There are no other
    significant changes in our image from the pre-installed image to
    explain our PowerDVD issue.

    Attached is the Cyberlink support thread for your viewing pleasure:

    Welcome to the CyberLink Online Support system status page. From this
    page you can check the current status of your customer support inquiry.

    While we truly appreciate a 'Thank You' note from you, this is not
    necessary, as we just are doing our job. Therefore, please only reply
    to the agent's response if you still have an unresolved issue.
    Inquiry Information
    Question ID CS000273549
    Customer Support vcsupriya
    Last login time 2005/07/25 06:40
    First login time 2005/07/21 11:57
    Product PowerDVD

    Was your problem solved?

    Philip Palmer Asked 2005/07/22 09:33
    running PowerDVD as user
    Dear vcsupriya:

    You stated that you need to be
    administrator to run PowerDVD. This is
    absolutly incorrect. I have run this
    program (trial download) on a
    different machine (same brand & model)
    as administrator and as a user.

    Can you elevate my support ticket to a
    developer?

    Also, feel free to call me at removed telephone number
    vcsupriya Reply 2005/07/22 11:16
    Dear Philip,

    Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.

    In this regard, let me inform you that we recommend our customers to be
    the administrator of the computer if they want to use the PowerDVD
    software. And if it works when they login as a user, we do not support
    that because it rarely works in some cases only.

    We've passed this to our R&D team for further analysis. At this moment,
    we would appreciate your patience and understanding of this matter, and
    would inform you immediately when we obtain a solution to release.

    Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in
    this issue or for any assistance related to Cyberlink Products.

    Thank You and Best Regards

    Philip Palmer Asked 2005/07/21 14:32
    Access Permissions
    These are my mods:
    1. As Administrator, I set all files
    at c:\Program Files\Cyberlink to
    Everyone Full Access using xcacls.exe.

    This did not work.

    2. I then launched regedt32.exe. Under
    HKEY Local Machine/Software, I right-
    clicked on Cyberlink key and gave
    Users Full Control.

    This did not work, either.

    3. BTW, do I really only have a trial
    license? I did download 1 trial for
    testing, but I am having this problem
    with an OEM version that was pre-
    installed on an HP xw8200.copy.

    Phil

    vcsupriya Reply 2005/07/22 08:46
    Dear Philip,

    Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Support.

    Regarding this issue, I regret to inform you that it will work only
    when you login as administrator.

    PowerDVD is made for stand alone computers and it will work only when
    you login in as administrator.

    Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification in
    this issue or for any assistance related to Cyberlink Products.

    Thank You and Best Regards

    Philip Palmer Asked 2005/07/21 11:57
    PowerDVD only plays when logged in as Admin
    We bought an HP xw8200 computer that
    came with PowerDVD pre-installed.
    Recently we upgraded/rebuilt the hard
    drive. Afterward I reinstall PowerDVD,
    it would playback only when logged in
    as Administrator.

    This is running on Dual-Xeon
    Processors.
    vcsupriya Reply 2005/07/21 12:45
    Dear Philip,

    Thank you for contacting CyberLink Online Customer Support.

    Regarding your issue please follow the steps suggested below:

    Please check the user profiles and provide specific access rights for
    such specific applications (not only for the program icon on the
    desktop of each users). The access rights should be given to all users
    to access the main folder where PowerDVD software is installed and also
    to the program file on the desktop.
    Please contact System Administrator if such activities are handled by
    any other administrator.

    There is no specific fix, the PowerDVD will play properly only when it
    has full access rights to the complete application and that is the
    reason that it plays seamlessly when logged in as Administrator user.
    You may face such issues when using the PowerDVD in such user / network
    environment.

    higgledy, Jul 25, 2005
  8. higgledy

    higgledy Guest

    Who is OP?
    higgledy, Jul 25, 2005
  9. higgledy

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Stan Brown () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > I would agree with you, IF it was an admin-type application. But
    > playing videos? Gimme a break! For a company to say you have to be
    > logged in as administrator to play videos -- well, yes, that's BS.

    There is an registry key that DirectX writes to for "debugging" purposes
    whenever any app initializes DirectX. If you don't have Admin equivalence,
    you can't write to this key and DirectX returns a failure code to the calling
    program, although everything but the registry write worked.

    There are some programs that won't continue if they get a failure code from
    DirectX, and they die because of exactly this issue.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Jul 25, 2005
  10. higgledy

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Jeff Rife, Jul 25, 2005
  11. higgledy

    higgledy Guest

    Thanks.
    higgledy, Jul 25, 2005
  12. higgledy

    Stan Brown Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:08:37 -0400, Jeff Rife <>
    wrote:

    >Stan Brown () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> I would agree with you, IF it was an admin-type application. But
    >> playing videos? Gimme a break! For a company to say you have to be
    >> logged in as administrator to play videos -- well, yes, that's BS.

    >There is an registry key that DirectX writes to for "debugging" purposes
    >whenever any app initializes DirectX. If you don't have Admin equivalence,
    >you can't write to this key and DirectX returns a failure code to the calling
    >program, although everything but the registry write worked.
    >
    >There are some programs that won't continue if they get a failure code from
    >DirectX, and they die because of exactly this issue.

    That is a stupid-ass way to write a program.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Jul 26, 2005
  13. higgledy

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Stan Brown () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >There are some programs that won't continue if they get a failure code from
    > >DirectX, and they die because of exactly this issue.

    > That is a stupid-ass way to write a program.

    No, it's a stupid way to write an OS. The function call that returns the
    failure code is the one that initializes DirectX. It's pretty hard to draw
    anything if you don't have DirectX.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Jul 26, 2005
  14. higgledy

    Stan Brown Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:33:56 -0400, Jeff Rife <>
    wrote:

    >Stan Brown () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> >There are some programs that won't continue if they get a failure code from
    >> >DirectX, and they die because of exactly this issue.

    >> That is a stupid-ass way to write a program.

    >No, it's a stupid way to write an OS. The function call that returns the
    >failure code is the one that initializes DirectX. It's pretty hard to draw
    >anything if you don't have DirectX.

    Thanks for the explanation -- I was unaware of these internals, so
    now I've learned something. :)

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    Stan Brown, Jul 27, 2005