PowerDVD/CLMEI/ProLogic question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Robotech_Master, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. I have a very good, very fast computer with a 5.1 sound card and a
    Logitech 5.1 speaker system. I have PowerDVD 5, which can of course
    decode either Dolby Digital or DTS.

    My question has to do with the audio configuration menu, where I have
    the option to use an audio channel expander--either CLMEI or Dolby Pro
    Logic II, in either "Movie" or "Music" mode.

    From what I've read about these, it's not clear whether you're just
    supposed to use them if you only have a 2-speaker system to simulate
    surround, or if you're supposed to use them to simulate surround when
    you're playing something with only 2 or 1 audio channels over a
    surround speaker setup, or if you use them even *with* a 5.1-encoded
    movie on a 5.1 system to "improve" the surround effects.

    Does using these expanders when you have a surround sound system
    distort the sound so you're not getting the full benefit of the
    experience? Which one should I use? And if I should or should not
    use an expander for playing Dolby 5.1, should I then do the same for
    DTS?

    I'd really appreciate if folks could help clear up my confusion.
    Thanks!
    --
    Chris Meadows aka | If this post helped or entertained you, please rate
    Robotech_Master | it at http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=robotech

    Robotech_Master, Dec 8, 2003