PowerDVD and InteractualPlayer: How to live happily together?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Steven O., Mar 4, 2006.

  1. Steven O.

    Steven O. Guest

    I've seen other threads about PowerDVD and Interactual Player, so I
    know I'm not the first to encounter problems, but I couldn't find any
    threads that addressed my exact questions.

    I just picked up a new DVD (The Butterfly Effect), and to take
    advantage of some of the cool features on the DVD, you need to have
    Interactual Player installed. (Interactual comes on the DVD.)

    However, the last time I encountered this, and I installed Interactual
    Player, I ran into two problems:

    1. PowerDVD -- which I already have installed, and which I like for
    many reasons -- was no longer the default DVD player. I could not
    figure out how to reset PowerDVD as the default player. (I even tried
    reinstalling PowerDVD, with Interactual still installed, but
    Interactual insisted on remaining the default DVD player. I finally
    had to remove Interactual Player altogether, *then* reinstall PowerDVD
    -- huge pain in the ass....). So Question 1: After installing
    Interactual Player, how can I reset PowerDVD as my default player?

    2. Normally, in the Windows Explorer, if I right-click on the DVD
    drive (and if there is a DVD in the drive), there is an option on the
    pop-up menu which reads: "Play With PowerDVD". This is twice now
    that I've had DVDs which wanted to install Interactive Player. In
    both cases, when I put them in the DVD drive -- and without even
    installing Interactive Player -- something very strange happened: the
    "Play With PowerDVD" option doesn't show up on the pop-up menu. Does
    anyone have any idea what's up with that, and how to fix it?

    Thanks in advance for all replies.

    Steve O.

    "Spying On The College Of Your Choice" -- How to pick the college that is the Best Match for a high school student's needs.
    www.SpyingOnTheCollegeOfYourChoice.com

    Steven O., Mar 4, 2006

  2. Steven O.

    Guest

    I'm not helping anyone who staples his own nuts to his own leg.
    Sorry...

    , Mar 4, 2006

  3. Steven O.

    SportySpice Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 05:22:41 GMT, Steven O. <> wrote:

    >I've seen other threads about PowerDVD and Interactual Player, so I
    >know I'm not the first to encounter problems, but I couldn't find any
    >threads that addressed my exact questions.
    >
    >I just picked up a new DVD (The Butterfly Effect), and to take
    >advantage of some of the cool features on the DVD, you need to have
    >Interactual Player installed. (Interactual comes on the DVD.)
    >
    >However, the last time I encountered this, and I installed Interactual
    >Player, I ran into two problems:
    >
    >1. PowerDVD -- which I already have installed, and which I like for
    >many reasons -- was no longer the default DVD player. I could not
    >figure out how to reset PowerDVD as the default player. (I even tried
    >reinstalling PowerDVD, with Interactual still installed, but
    >Interactual insisted on remaining the default DVD player. I finally
    >had to remove Interactual Player altogether, *then* reinstall PowerDVD
    >-- huge pain in the ass....). So Question 1: After installing
    >Interactual Player, how can I reset PowerDVD as my default player?
    >
    >2. Normally, in the Windows Explorer, if I right-click on the DVD
    >drive (and if there is a DVD in the drive), there is an option on the
    >pop-up menu which reads: "Play With PowerDVD". This is twice now
    >that I've had DVDs which wanted to install Interactive Player. In
    >both cases, when I put them in the DVD drive -- and without even
    >installing Interactive Player -- something very strange happened: the
    >"Play With PowerDVD" option doesn't show up on the pop-up menu. Does
    >anyone have any idea what's up with that, and how to fix it?

    I've read that some DVD's contain a PC-compatible program that runs
    immediately after the DVD is inserted in a PC drive, but will be
    ignored when the DVD is inserted in a standalone drive. In effect,
    WinXP (if that's your OS) will see that disc as a data disc rather
    than as a DVD movie, so naturally the "Play with PowerDVD" option will
    not be displayed. You should be able to disable the autorun data
    program by holding down the left Shift key as you insert the disc into
    the drive, holding it until the drive activity stops. At that point,
    XP should see the disc as a movie DVD rather than as a data disc, and
    the "Play with PowerDVD" option should be available.

    At that point, if the 'wrong' player starts to play the movie, go to
    Windows Explorer, right click on the DVD drive, select the Autoplay
    tab, then select DVD Movie and make sure the 'right' player is listed
    as the default player.

    Just passing on what I've read. Please come back and let us know if it
    works as advertised.

    SportySpice, Mar 4, 2006
  4. Steven O.

    Fuzzy Guest

    Steven O. wrote:

    > I've seen other threads about PowerDVD and Interactual Player, so I
    > know I'm not the first to encounter problems, but I couldn't find any
    > threads that addressed my exact questions.
    >
    > I just picked up a new DVD (The Butterfly Effect), and to take
    > advantage of some of the cool features on the DVD, you need to have
    > Interactual Player installed. (Interactual comes on the DVD.)
    >
    > However, the last time I encountered this, and I installed Interactual
    > Player, I ran into two problems:
    >
    > 1. PowerDVD -- which I already have installed, and which I like for
    > many reasons -- was no longer the default DVD player. I could not
    > figure out how to reset PowerDVD as the default player. (I even tried
    > reinstalling PowerDVD, with Interactual still installed, but
    > Interactual insisted on remaining the default DVD player. I finally
    > had to remove Interactual Player altogether, *then* reinstall PowerDVD
    > -- huge pain in the ass....). So Question 1: After installing
    > Interactual Player, how can I reset PowerDVD as my default player?
    >
    > 2. Normally, in the Windows Explorer, if I right-click on the DVD
    > drive (and if there is a DVD in the drive), there is an option on the
    > pop-up menu which reads: "Play With PowerDVD". This is twice now
    > that I've had DVDs which wanted to install Interactive Player. In
    > both cases, when I put them in the DVD drive -- and without even
    > installing Interactive Player -- something very strange happened: the
    > "Play With PowerDVD" option doesn't show up on the pop-up menu. Does
    > anyone have any idea what's up with that, and how to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for all replies.
    >
    > Steve O.
    >

    > "Spying On The College Of Your Choice" -- How to pick the college that is the Best Match for a high school student's needs.
    > www.SpyingOnTheCollegeOfYourChoice.com

    Doesn't InterActual Player 2.0 allow you to configure some other player
    such as PowerDVD as the default player. I know that in my case I just
    had to oper InterActual Player, go to configure, settings, Default DVD
    Player and browse to PowerDVD. In my situation the browse sequence was:
    C\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PowerDVD.exe%1
    I now have both InterActual Player and PowerDVD installed and the
    default player is PowerDVD. If for some reason you want to use
    InterActual Player you then would have to close PowerDVD and then open
    the InterActual Player to play the DVD.

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzy, Mar 5, 2006
  5. Steven O.

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 05:22:41 GMT, Steven O <> wrote:

    >I've seen other threads about PowerDVD and Interactual Player, so I
    >know I'm not the first to encounter problems, but I couldn't find any
    >threads that addressed my exact questions.

    >I just picked up a new DVD (The Butterfly Effect), and to take
    >advantage of some of the cool features on the DVD, you need to have
    >Interactual Player installed. (Interactual comes on the DVD.)

    I can't imagine any feature that could possibly make it worthwhile to
    install that malware interactual.

    I put interactual's player in the same category as the infamous sony rootkit.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 5, 2006
  6. Steven O.

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 16:02:26 GMT, SportySpice <> wrote:

    >I've read that some DVD's contain a PC-compatible program that runs
    >immediately after the DVD is inserted in a PC drive, but will be
    >ignored when the DVD is inserted in a standalone drive. In effect,
    >WinXP (if that's your OS) will see that disc as a data disc rather
    >than as a DVD movie, so naturally the "Play with PowerDVD" option will

    Something that all windows users should do is disable all automatic
    software execution associated with inserting CD/DVDs.

    Letting a CD/DVD install software on your machine without any confirmation is
    insane.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 5, 2006
  7. Steven O.

    Steven O. Guest

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 05:46:14 GMT, AZ Nomad <>
    wrote:
    >On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 05:22:41 GMT, Steven O <> wrote:
    >>I've seen other threads about PowerDVD and Interactual Player, so I
    >>know I'm not the first to encounter problems, but I couldn't find any
    >>threads that addressed my exact questions.
    >>I just picked up a new DVD (The Butterfly Effect), and to take
    >>advantage of some of the cool features on the DVD, you need to have
    >>Interactual Player installed. (Interactual comes on the DVD.)

    >I can't imagine any feature that could possibly make it worthwhile to
    >install that malware interactual.
    >I put interactual's player in the same category as the infamous sony rootkit.

    The DVD has a feature where you can view the film and the screenplay
    at the same time. This is of interest to people like me, who write
    screenplays for a hobby (and hopefully, professionally, at some
    point!). But you can only use this feature with Interactual
    installed. But it's probably not that important....

    Steven O., Mar 6, 2006
  8. Steven O.

    Fuzzy Guest

    Steven O. wrote:

    > On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 05:46:14 GMT, AZ Nomad <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 05:22:41 GMT, Steven O <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've seen other threads about PowerDVD and Interactual Player, so I
    >>>know I'm not the first to encounter problems, but I couldn't find any
    >>>threads that addressed my exact questions.
    >>>I just picked up a new DVD (The Butterfly Effect), and to take
    >>>advantage of some of the cool features on the DVD, you need to have
    >>>Interactual Player installed. (Interactual comes on the DVD.)

    >>I can't imagine any feature that could possibly make it worthwhile to
    >>install that malware interactual.
    >>I put interactual's player in the same category as the infamous sony rootkit.

    > The DVD has a feature where you can view the film and the screenplay
    > at the same time. This is of interest to people like me, who write
    > screenplays for a hobby (and hopefully, professionally, at some
    > point!). But you can only use this feature with Interactual
    > installed. But it's probably not that important....
    >
    > Steve O.
    >

    > "Spying On The College Of Your Choice" -- How to pick the college that is the Best Match for a high school student's needs.
    > www.SpyingOnTheCollegeOfYourChoice.com

    You can have Power DVD as your default dvd player and still have
    InterActual Player installed so you can use the feature of InterActual
    Player that you want to use. As for the supposed malware you can turn
    that off also. InterActual Player after all does ask you if you want it
    to gather information as well as whether you want to recieve offers and
    information from them and their partners. It's your computer and you can
    use any player that you want to use to get the most satisfactory experience.

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzy, Mar 7, 2006