    $799 + GST ( $898.9 inc GST )

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Jul 26, 2003

  2. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    news:bft53m$di4$...
    > I have always found teh Powercolor GeForces are noticeably slower than any
    > other brand of the same card. Or another brand with the same GPU. Is

    this
    > true for the ATI cards as well?
    >
    > I am looking at the Radeon 9800 Pro, ATi Original Card in Powercolor

    Retail
    > Box, 128MB DDR, CRT+DVI-I+S-Video Out, AGP 8X
    > $799 + GST ( $898.9 inc GST )

    Actually scrap that price cause I just found it for $795 incl from etc
    computers. Question still stands though.. Are they as good as a
    different brand Rodeon 9800Pro?

    cowboyz, Jul 26, 2003

  3. cowboyz

    Ali P Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in message

    > "cowboyz" <> wrote in message
    > > I have always found teh Powercolor GeForces are noticeably slower than

    any
    > > other brand of the same card. Or another brand with the same GPU. Is

    > this
    > > true for the ATI cards as well?
    > >
    > > I am looking at the Radeon 9800 Pro, ATi Original Card in Powercolor

    > Retail
    > > Box, 128MB DDR, CRT+DVI-I+S-Video Out, AGP 8X
    > > $799 + GST ( $898.9 inc GST )
    > >

    > Actually scrap that price cause I just found it for $795 incl from etc
    > computers. Question still stands though.. Are they as good as a
    > different brand Rodeon 9800Pro?
    > >

    > > --
    > > "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."

    There was a review out there on anandtech or some other site which compared
    a whole bunch of 9800 Pro cards, the Powercolor being one of them. I can't
    remember where I read it and I did a quick google and didn't turn up
    anything.
    However, this review benchmarks against other 9800 cards from Hercules and
    Gigabyte and the Powercolor stacks up well against them ...
    http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=review&dId=485
    I'll be interested to hear how you get on with it. I'll be shopping around
    for a 9800 pro soon if I want to get any sort of decent framerate out of
    Half Life 2.
    Anyone know if Asus are going to make ATI cards? Their current range appears
    to be all Nvidia.
    Ali P, Jul 26, 2003
  4. cowboyz

    Andrew Guest

    Basically All high end ATI cards are actually made by Saphire. This includes
    Powercolor, Triplex, Gigacube.. and probably a few others, Gigabyte and Tyan
    make thier own

    What happens is Sapphire make them, Send them to ATI for testing, then they
    get sent out to the various manufacturers to be boxed and shipped... So most
    brands are the same, The ATI Original cards are generally better then the
    others

    Andrew

    Andrew, Jul 26, 2003
  5. On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:39:50 +1200, Ali P wrote:

    > Anyone know if Asus are going to make ATI cards? Their current range appears
    > to be all Nvidia.

    Even if they did, I wouldn't buy them.

    Asus make good motherboards, but a lot of people have had BAD experience
    with Asus add-in cards. It got to the point where people were complaining
    so much that ASUS removed all their online customer support forums and
    shut down the Asus NNTP server.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jul 26, 2003
  6. cowboyz

    Ali P Guest

    "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:39:50 +1200, Ali P wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone know if Asus are going to make ATI cards? Their current range

    appears
    > > to be all Nvidia.

    > Even if they did, I wouldn't buy them.
    >
    > Asus make good motherboards, but a lot of people have had BAD experience
    > with Asus add-in cards. It got to the point where people were complaining
    > so much that ASUS removed all their online customer support forums and
    > shut down the Asus NNTP server.

    Is there a reason Asus don't make ATI cards? I've had four Asus video cards
    so far (TNT to ti4200) and I've been more than pleased with them. No trouble
    whatsoever. I've decided to ditch Nvidia for my next card and get an ATI
    Radeon 9800Pro - I'd still prefer to buy Asus though, better the devil you
    know I suppose.
    Ali P, Jul 27, 2003
  7. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Ali P" <> wrote in message
    > "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:39:50 +1200, Ali P wrote:
    > >
    > > > Anyone know if Asus are going to make ATI cards? Their current range

    > appears
    > > > to be all Nvidia.

    > > Even if they did, I wouldn't buy them.
    > >
    > > Asus make good motherboards, but a lot of people have had BAD experience
    > > with Asus add-in cards. It got to the point where people were

    complaining
    > > so much that ASUS removed all their online customer support forums and
    > > shut down the Asus NNTP server.

    > Is there a reason Asus don't make ATI cards? I've had four Asus video

    cards
    > so far (TNT to ti4200) and I've been more than pleased with them. No

    trouble
    > whatsoever. I've decided to ditch Nvidia for my next card and get an ATI
    > Radeon 9800Pro - I'd still prefer to buy Asus though, better the devil you
    > know I suppose.

    Same here except I'm in Gainwards camp. They don't appear to make Radeons
    though. I am not loyal enough to go Nvidia just cause gainward make em. I
    have had a good run, might be time to move on.. (then there is always the
    VIVO advantage)

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Jul 27, 2003
  8. cowboyz

    Ali P Guest

    http://www.nordichardware.com/reviews/graphiccard/2003/Radeon9800Roundup/