    Answer is "In the group policy settings, addition of printers is disabled"

    I did not see this in the group policy. I thought Power Users by default
    can add printers. Am I missing something? Is this done on the server side?
    McKinley Morganfield, Jan 2, 2006

  2. McKinley Morganfield

    LRM Guest

    "McKinley Morganfield" <> wrote in message
    >I am using Sybex "Windows XP Professional" study guide. A question and
    >answer in chapter 6 is as follows (verbatim); "John accesses the Printers
    >folder, he does not see an "Add Printer" option. What is most likely the
    >reason for this?"
    >
    > Answer is "In the group policy settings, addition of printers is disabled"
    >
    > I did not see this in the group policy. I thought Power Users by default
    > can add printers. Am I missing something? Is this done on the server side?

    In group policy you will see this setting:
    User Configuration\Administrative Template\Control Panel\Printers\Prevent
    addition of printers
    LRM, Jan 2, 2006

  3. "LRM" wrote:
    > In group policy you will see this setting:
    > User Configuration\Administrative Template\Control Panel\Printers\Prevent
    > addition of printers

    you can say that again! ;)
    fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}, Jan 2, 2006
  4. LRM wrote:
    > "McKinley Morganfield" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am using Sybex "Windows XP Professional" study guide. A question and
    >>answer in chapter 6 is as follows (verbatim); "John accesses the Printers
    >>folder, he does not see an "Add Printer" option. What is most likely the
    >>reason for this?"
    >>
    >>Answer is "In the group policy settings, addition of printers is disabled"
    >>
    >>I did not see this in the group policy. I thought Power Users by default
    >>can add printers. Am I missing something? Is this done on the server side?

    > In group policy you will see this setting:
    > User Configuration\Administrative Template\Control Panel\Printers\Prevent
    > addition of printers

    Thank, I found it. Was over looking it :-[
    McKinley Morganfield, Jan 2, 2006
  5. McKinley Morganfield

    > LRM wrote:
    >> "McKinley Morganfield" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I am using Sybex "Windows XP Professional" study guide. A question and
    >>>answer in chapter 6 is as follows (verbatim); "John accesses the Printers
    >>>folder, he does not see an "Add Printer" option. What is most likely the
    >>>reason for this?"
    >>>
    >>>Answer is "In the group policy settings, addition of printers is
    >>>disabled"
    >>>
    >>>I did not see this in the group policy. I thought Power Users by default
    >>>can add printers. Am I missing something? Is this done on the server
    >>>side?

    >> In group policy you will see this setting:
    >> User Configuration\Administrative Template\Control Panel\Printers\Prevent
    >> addition of printers
    >>

    > Thank, I found it. Was over looking it :-[

    Lot of settings easy to overlook the one you're trying to find. So now you
    can see how it isn't that the power user has lost the ability, just can't
    see the option.
    Good luck.

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2
    LRM, Jan 3, 2006
  6. McKinley Morganfield

    CG101 Guest

    > I am using Sybex "Windows XP Professional" study guide. A question and
    > answer in chapter 6 is as follows (verbatim); "John accesses the
    > Printers folder, he does not see an "Add Printer" option. What is most
    > likely the reason for this?"
    >
    > Answer is "In the group policy settings, addition of printers is disabled"
    >
    > I did not see this in the group policy. I thought Power Users by default
    > can add printers. Am I missing something? Is this done on the server side?

    If it is global group policy, then this is done on the server side. If it is
    local group policy (only) then this is handled by the local administrator of
    that workstation. Global Group Policy overwrites Local Group Policy.

    --
    Cruz
    CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Certified
    CG101, Jan 3, 2006
  7. "CG101" wrote:
    > If it is global group policy, then this is done on the server side. If it is
    > local group policy (only) then this is handled by the local administrator of
    > that workstation. Global Group Policy overwrites Local Group Policy.

    GPO processing order: Local, Site, Domain, OU. Thus, OU has the last word,
    that is, if you put any configuration and then undo at the OU level, this one
    will take place.

    --
    fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}
    MCNGP g@ys do now own this NG!
    fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}, Jan 3, 2006
  8. McKinley Morganfield

    Consultant Guest

    she could and you still wouldn't get it

    "fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Consultant, Jan 3, 2006
  9. "Consultant" trying to feed me up wrote:
    > she could and you still wouldn't get it

    ok, ok, i love you too.
    fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}, Jan 3, 2006
  10. McKinley Morganfield

    Consultant Guest

    i know

    "fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Consultant, Jan 3, 2006
  11. "Consultant" wrote:
    > i know

    we have just a date, forget about getting married like LRM did!!

    --
    fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}
    MCNGP g@ys do now own this NG!
    fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}, Jan 3, 2006
  12. McKinley Morganfield

    Consultant Guest

    lrm loves me unconditionally
    you, on the otherhand, are a shallow bastard

    "fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}" <> wrote in
    message news:D...

    Consultant, Jan 3, 2006
  13. McKinley Morganfield

    LRM Guest

    "Consultant" <> wrote in message
    > lrm loves me unconditionally
    > you, on the otherhand, are a shallow bastard

    True dat

    --
    LRM
    MCNGP 7^2
    LRM, Jan 3, 2006
  14. "Consultant" wrote:
    > lrm loves me unconditionally
    > you, on the otherhand, are a shallow bastard

    what a pity, i thought you 2 had broken up.
    fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}, Jan 3, 2006

    fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}, Jan 3, 2006
  16. McKinley Morganfield

    Consultant Guest

    you thought wrong

    "fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Consultant, Jan 3, 2006
  17. "Consultant" wrote:
    > you thought wrong

    let me say before you do it "you thought wrong as usual", tha's predictable.

    fmsmcse {A-MCNGP#2}, Jan 3, 2006
  18. McKinley Morganfield

    Consultant Guest

    you're grasping, pal