    been a power surge and have damaged the card?
    Thanks
    Frank

    frank, Apr 13, 2004

  2. frank

    Cory Lechner Guest

    re-seat the RAM chips... is the spare power supply the same as the dead
    one?

    Cory Lechner, Apr 13, 2004

  3. frank

    Plato Guest

    frank wrote:

    > We've got an old pc that my wife just uses for word processing etc, so
    > don't really want to spend too much money on it. Switched it on a few
    > days ago, the lights flicked on, and it went dead! Checked and there
    > was a burning smell coming from the power unit. We had a spare power
    > unit, so plugged that in, and it fires up ok. However, after a couple

    Makes sense.

    > of seconds, a continous audible alarm sounds, bit like a police siren.

    Then its really not that old of a pc.

    > I spoke with a computer guy and he assures mem that if it sounds 3
    > times and stops, it's one thing (can't remember what he said!), but if
    > it's continous, it's connected with a memory card. I hadn't touched

    After you go into a system, its usually the agp card that gets
    mis-seated causing the beeps.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 13, 2004
  4. frank

    frank Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:56:23 -0600, "Cory Lechner"
    <> wrote:

    >re-seat the RAM chips... is the spare power supply the same as the dead
    >one?

    I'm pretty sure it was. However, the old one has now been thrown out.
    If it were different, would that account for the audio alarm? I'm
    pretty much a newbie when it comes to what goes on under the bonnet!
    ;-)
    Thanks

    frank, Apr 13, 2004