    restart, have reinstalled the system but no change, it has on board sound
    and video running windows xp. Any ideas not changed anything since power
    surge could it be a slight fault with mother board now thanks everyone.

    paul, Nov 15, 2004

  2. paul

    PuppyKatt Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message
    news:371md.47$...
    > Hi guys, had a power surge on my pc had to get a new case as the power
    > pack
    > blew, its all up and running now but now and again it will switch off and
    > restart, have reinstalled the system but no change, it has on board sound
    > and video running windows xp. Any ideas not changed anything since power
    > surge could it be a slight fault with mother board now thanks everyone.

    Have you ever heard of a "Surge Protector?" That may have saved you a lot
    of money, a case, etc. They are not very expensive, and I have fried a few
    of them, but not any computers.

    PuppyKatt, Nov 15, 2004

  3. paul

    Nik Schlein Guest

    Could be that your CPU fan fried too. I had that happen on a Celeron a long
    time ago. The CPU fan crapped out and so after a while of using the
    computer the whole thing would shut down. It was a setting in the BIOS that
    caused the computer to shut down at dangerous temps. You should check this
    because if thats the problem, its like $10 to fix, or you might have to buy
    a new CPU that would be more expensive.

    Nik Schlein, Nov 15, 2004
  4. paul

    Dan Evans Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message
    > Hi guys, had a power surge on my pc had to get a new case as the power
    > pack
    > blew, its all up and running now but now and again it will switch off and
    > restart, have reinstalled the system but no change, it has on board sound
    > and video running windows xp. Any ideas not changed anything since power
    > surge could it be a slight fault with mother board now thanks everyone.

    Could be anything - in my experience memory can be unreliable in your
    situation, though once I had to replace power supply, processor, motherboard
    *and* memory. Not a bad afternoon as I got a UPS/power conditioner sale out
    of it, *and* the PC was a sale from the previous month.

    Persoanlly, I *love* the thunderstorms round here.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 15, 2004
  5. paul

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, paul mused:

    | Hi guys, had a power surge on my pc had to get a new case as the power
    | pack blew, its all up and running now but now and again it will switch
    | off and restart, have reinstalled the system but no change, it has on
    | board sound and video running windows xp. Any ideas not changed anything
    | since power surge could it be a slight fault with mother board now thanks
    | everyone.

    What was your old power supply rated at, and what is your new one? It
    could be that the new PSU is not as powerful as your old one. It could also
    be that the surge fried something on your motherboard.

    mhicaoidh, Nov 15, 2004
  6. paul

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:17:03 GMT, "paul" <> wrote:

    >Hi guys, had a power surge on my pc had to get a new case as the power pack
    >blew, its all up and running now but now and again it will switch off and
    >restart, have reinstalled the system but no change, it has on board sound
    >and video running windows xp. Any ideas not changed anything since power
    >surge could it be a slight fault with mother board now thanks everyone.

    Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three
    sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
    of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an
    error record to see the details of the error.

    You can change this restart behavior if you want.

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced

    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button
    to open the Startup and Recovery window.

    In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
    Click "Apply", "OK"

    After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system
    failure occurs. Instead it will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of
    Death" with a STOP error message and then halt completely, requiring
    a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch).

    But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
    as to the underlying cause of the problem.

    Unk, Nov 15, 2004
  7. "Dan Evans" <> chiseled in stone, the
    following words news:41993487$0$14464$:

    > "paul" wrote...
    >> Hi guys, had a power surge on my pc had to get a new case as the
    >> power pack blew, its all up and running now but now and again it
    >> will switch off and restart, have reinstalled the system but no
    >> change, it has on board sound and video running windows xp. Any
    >> ideas not changed anything since power surge could it be a slight
    >> fault with mother board now thanks everyone.

    > Could be anything - in my experience memory can be unreliable in your
    > situation, though once I had to replace power supply, processor,
    > motherboard *and* memory. Not a bad afternoon as I got a UPS/power
    > conditioner sale out of it, *and* the PC was a sale from the previous
    > month.
    >
    > Persoanlly, I *love* the thunderstorms round here.

    I, too, share your sentiment....;oD

    @}-}-------Rosee, Nov 17, 2004