POWER SURGE ON USB PORT

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pradel Family, May 17, 2005.

  1. Hi,
    I keep getting this message on my laptop screen (Compaq Evo 160 Notebook):

    "A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port."

    When I click on the message, it comes up with : "Power Surge on Hub Port"
    and identifies it firstly as an "Unknown USB Device". I click "Reset" and a
    few minutes later the same message appears and this time it tells me the
    power surge is on the "USB Printing Support". I unplug the printer and
    press the "Reset" tab but this often doesn't reset the printer and I have to
    completely shutdown and restart the laptop, often several times, before the
    computer and printer will recognise one another. Sometimes I manage to make
    it work by just unplugging and reconnecting the printer, but it often takes
    several goes to get the printer to respond.

    I have a good Zap catcher connected to my printer & laptop, so why am I
    getting these power surges? (Just in case it has any beariig on this
    problem, my laptop runs on Windows XP Home Edition).

    I have 2 USB Ports, one has the printer connected to it, the other has a
    Canon Scanner-only. I tried unplugging the scanner to see if this fixed the
    problem, but it doesn't.

    Many thanks for any light you can throw on this.

    Sheri

    Pradel Family, May 17, 2005

  2. Pradel Family

    Avenger© Guest

    On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:58:35 +1200, "Pradel Family"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I keep getting this message on my laptop screen (Compaq Evo 160 Notebook):
    >
    >"A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port."
    >
    >When I click on the message, it comes up with : "Power Surge on Hub Port"
    >and identifies it firstly as an "Unknown USB Device". I click "Reset" and a
    >few minutes later the same message appears and this time it tells me the
    >power surge is on the "USB Printing Support". I unplug the printer and
    >press the "Reset" tab but this often doesn't reset the printer and I have to
    >completely shutdown and restart the laptop, often several times, before the
    >computer and printer will recognise one another. Sometimes I manage to make
    >it work by just unplugging and reconnecting the printer, but it often takes
    >several goes to get the printer to respond.
    >
    >I have a good Zap catcher connected to my printer & laptop, so why am I
    >getting these power surges? (Just in case it has any beariig on this
    >problem, my laptop runs on Windows XP Home Edition).
    >
    >I have 2 USB Ports, one has the printer connected to it, the other has a
    >Canon Scanner-only. I tried unplugging the scanner to see if this fixed the
    >problem, but it doesn't.
    >
    >Many thanks for any light you can throw on this.
    >
    >Sheri

    Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the USB device/s
    are drawing too much power for your laptop power supply/battery and
    causing the system to crash.
    --
    Avenger©
    I *HATE* Spam

    Avenger©, May 17, 2005

  3. Pradel Family

    Steve Stone Guest

    "Avenger©" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:58:35 +1200, "Pradel Family"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I keep getting this message on my laptop screen (Compaq Evo 160 Notebook):
    >>
    >>"A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port."

    Purchase a powered USB hub and use it between your computer and the USB
    devices.

    Steve Stone, May 17, 2005
  4. Pradel Family

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Steve and Avenger are both right. Your laptop's USB ports do not supply
    enough power to operate both the scanner and the printer. You need a powered
    USB hub. USB ports supply 500ma maximum of power, your printer and scanner
    together need more then that.

    pcbutts1, May 17, 2005
  5. Pradel Family

    poojaarora2k

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    hi all,
    My problem is Im getting this message with no USB device connected.
    My laptop is showing this message from a couple of days .
    When I click on that message it says unknown USb device and when I hit reset for that, the message appears again after some time
    please tell me where the problem is .
    Its very strange to see the message when no USB device is plugged in!...
    Please throw some light into this matter.
    Thanks
    Pooja

    poojaarora2k, Aug 5, 2008