    I surf all day and download fairly sizeable files, but 6 times I have done
    the above and 6 times it was the same.
    Hmm!

    Champagne Charlie, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Champagne Charlie

    SLP Guest

    "Champagne Charlie" <Software@(SkipTheBrackets)Totalise.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:3jfLb.10202$...
    > When you have time could you go into this website? :-
    > www.nasa.gov
    > Let the M24K load, and then click on the link 'Mars Program Site'......
    > Look for a big JPEG about 8.05MBytes and D/L it....'and as many other pics
    > as you can as well.
    > See if anything 'strange' occurs, will you? Like the PSU fan rev'ing up!
    > The big JPEG is here :-
    > http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20040106a.html
    > Does it rev up? If yes....'Why?
    > Weird! It only happens on my PC when I do the above!
    > TIA.
    > C.C.
    >
    > P.S.
    > I know it sounds weird and highly ulikely, but it does only happen when I

    do
    > the above!
    > I surf all day and download fairly sizeable files, but 6 times I have done
    > the above and 6 times it was the same.
    > Hmm!

    Well, it's obviously an attempt by an intelligent alien life form to contact
    you via your PSU fan.

    I think you should email NASA about it immediately.

    SLP

    SLP, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Champagne Charlie

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Champagne Charlie said:

    > When you have time could you go into this website? :-

    (snip)
    > See if anything 'strange' occurs, will you? Like the PSU fan rev'ing up!

    (snip)

    > P.S.
    > I know it sounds weird and highly ulikely, but it does only happen when I do
    > the above!
    > I surf all day and download fairly sizeable files, but 6 times I have done
    > the above and 6 times it was the same.
    > Hmm!

    Yes, your fan can rev up, you might like to read your systems manual.
    My CPU fan speeds up and slows down quite often, and I don't worry about it, as
    it only does it when the system is under load.

    Brian H¹©, Jan 8, 2004
  4. "SLP" <> wrote in message
    > Well, it's obviously an attempt by an intelligent alien life form to

    contact
    > you via your PSU fan.
    >
    > I think you should email NASA about it immediately.
    >
    > SLP

    Na! If they were intelligent, they wouldn't be able to communicate with 'my'
    PC.
    It's a Packard Bell! It has problems understanding XP!
    ;o)
    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Champagne Charlie

    Kráftéé Guest

    Champagne Charlie wrote:
    > "SLP" <> wrote in message
    >> Well, it's obviously an attempt by an intelligent alien life form
    >> to contact you via your PSU fan.
    >>
    >> I think you should email NASA about it immediately.
    >>
    >> SLP
    >>

    > Na! If they were intelligent, they wouldn't be able to communicate
    > with 'my' PC.
    > It's a Packard Bell! It has problems understanding XP!
    > ;o)
    > C.C.

    That's a problem ;-?

    Kráftéé, Jan 8, 2004
  6. "Brian H¹©" <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > Yes, your fan can rev up, you might like to read your systems manual.
    > My CPU fan speeds up and slows down quite often, and I don't worry about

    it, as
    > it only does it when the system is under load.

    Mine's does it too, but not like this! It roars and blasts air from it's
    arse like no PC I've ever heard.
    I've ran it into the ground and it never reacted like this, but I make sure
    I have nowt open except IE and sure enough, every time I go into the site
    and go through the motions mentioned, it sounds like it's ready to take off!
    There's no way I would trust it as it is rising in speed....'manacingly! (Is
    that how you spell it?) :)
    I have to reboot to get back to it's 'normal' speed. The noise is deafening
    when it does it and I have a very expensive low-noise PSU in the chassis
    too. I bought it about 6 months ago after the bog-standard one packed in.

    I'm beginning to wonder about that Martian comms attempt! lol.

    C.C.

    Champagne Charlie, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Champagne Charlie, Jan 9, 2004
  8. Champagne Charlie wrote:

    > Mine's does it too, but not like this! It roars and blasts air from it's
    > arse like no PC I've ever heard.

    Bet mine's louder. 4.5-inch (120mm) fan on side of case, moving a *lot*
    of air. :)

    In addition to front case fan and two PS fans -- but it's the blowhole fan
    that one hears.

    --
    Blinky Registered Linux User #297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 9, 2004