    used?
    On the lable on power supply , it only indicates about 115V

    TIA
    bardeban, Sep 25, 2009

  2. bardeban

    Old Codger Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > bardeban wrote:
    >> I bought a cheap 400Watt P4 power supply.
    >> 1- It has only 20 pin power connection.
    >> 2-It doesn't have the red indicator in the back for 115 and 230v it is
    >> like somebody took it out.
    >>
    >> Is it safe to use this power supply? is it going to fry my motherboard
    >> if used?
    >> On the lable on power supply , it only indicates about 115V

    > You didn't exactly mention mfg and model, but chances are good that it
    > won't cause damage to hook it up and see. A good power supply will set
    > you back a few bucks, but the rewards are many.

    If it is designed for a 115V supply and you connect it to a 230V supply
    it won't do anything much good.

    --
    Old Codger
    e-mail use reply to field

    Old Codger, Sep 25, 2009

  3. bardeban

    philo Guest

    bardeban wrote:
    > I bought a cheap 400Watt P4 power supply.
    > 1- It has only 20 pin power connection.
    > 2-It doesn't have the red indicator in the back for 115 and 230v it is like
    > somebody took it out.
    >
    > Is it safe to use this power supply? is it going to fry my motherboard if
    > used?
    > On the lable on power supply , it only indicates about 115V
    >
    > TIA

    It will be fine as long as it's only used on 115v

    but it's usually not worth it to buy those cheapies
    philo, Sep 25, 2009
  4. bardeban

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:55:16 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Old Codger wrote:
    >> Rôgêr wrote:

    >>> You didn't exactly mention mfg and model, but chances are good that it
    >>> won't cause damage to hook it up and see. A good power supply will set
    >>> you back a few bucks, but the rewards are many.

    >> If it is designed for a 115V supply and you connect it to a 230V supply
    >> it won't do anything much good.

    >Yes, and if frogs had wings ...
    >
    >They posted through eternal september, which left no IP to give a hint
    >to their location. But one of their customized headers leads me to think
    >they aren't completely without clue.
    >
    >If they want to hook up a 115v power supply to a 230v line then I'd like
    >to sit nearby and see what happens.

    Not *too* close, though. And with a camera.

    --
    Q. Does Usenet help stamp out ignorance?
    A. That depends on whether by `stamp out' you mean `eliminate'
    Mara, Sep 26, 2009
  5. bardeban

    Buffalo Guest

    bardeban wrote:
    > I bought a cheap 400Watt P4 power supply.
    > 1- It has only 20 pin power connection.
    > 2-It doesn't have the red indicator in the back for 115 and 230v it
    > is like somebody took it out.
    >
    > Is it safe to use this power supply? is it going to fry my
    > motherboard if used?
    > On the lable on power supply , it only indicates about 115V
    >
    > TIA

    Many are just fine.
    Just connect to a 115-120v connection and you should be just fine.
    When buying a PS, you should check its +12v output in amps and its +5v
    output in amps to see if it has what you need.
    BTW, why did you need a new PS?
    Buffalo
    Buffalo, Sep 26, 2009
  6. bardeban

    Mara Guest

    On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 19:16:04 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:55:16 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> They posted through eternal september, which left no IP to give a hint
    >>> to their location. But one of their customized headers leads me to think
    >>> they aren't completely without clue.
    >>>
    >>> If they want to hook up a 115v power supply to a 230v line then I'd like
    >>> to sit nearby and see what happens.

    >> Not *too* close, though. And with a camera.

    >I like to live life on the edge.

    Take bandages and burn cream with you, then.

    Mara, Sep 26, 2009
  7. bardeban

    bardeban Guest

    bardeban, Sep 26, 2009
  8. Rôgêr wrote:

    > Old Codger wrote:
    > > Rôgêr wrote:

    > >> You didn't exactly mention mfg and model, but chances are good that it
    > >> won't cause damage to hook it up and see. A good power supply will set
    > >> you back a few bucks, but the rewards are many.

    > > If it is designed for a 115V supply and you connect it to a 230V supply
    > > it won't do anything much good.

    > Yes, and if frogs had wings ...
    >
    > They posted through eternal september, which left no IP to give a hint
    > to their location. But one of their customized headers leads me to think
    > they aren't completely without clue.
    >
    > If they want to hook up a 115v power supply to a 230v line then I'd like
    > to sit nearby and see what happens.

    BZZZZT KABOOOOM!!!
    Chicken Little, Sep 28, 2009