    connected to anything? I would assume so, but I tried and there is
    nothing. Perhaps this is mt power problem? Thx all (No, I don't have a
    voltmeter :-o)
    Mastertone, Jun 5, 2007

  2. Mastertone

    Paul Guest

    Mastertone wrote:
    > I pulled my 600W Enermax Noisetaker. Should it power on without being
    > connected to anything? I would assume so, but I tried and there is
    > nothing. Perhaps this is mt power problem? Thx all (No, I don't have a
    > voltmeter :-o)

    Some people recommend having a dummy load on the output of the supply,
    if you do standalone testing. I have my own "load box", using $50 worth
    of resistors from a local electronics store, so that is how I test mine.

    To turn on a supply:

    1) Plug it in
    2) Switch on at the back of the unit
    3) Connect PS_ON# to COM (means the same as GND) with a paper clip

    You can get connector pinout info here. The first spec is for 20 pin
    supplies, and the second spec is for 24 pin supplies. The connectors
    actually share common pinouts, so a 20 pin section of the 24 pin
    connector, has the same wiring.

    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/atx/ATX12V_1_3dg.pdf
    http://www.formfactors.org/developer/specs/ATX12V_PSDG_2_2_public_br2.pdf

    PS_ON# is a green wire, while adjacent COM signals use a black wire.
    Connecting PS_ON# to COM on the main power connector, with a paper clip,
    will turn on the PSU fan, for as long as the paper clip is in place.
    That will tell you that PS_ON# works. Sometimes it is the motherboard's
    fault, and the motherboard is not able to pull the PS_ON# signal low,
    and that is why the power does not come on. So a paper clip can tell
    you, whether the PSU is still responding.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 5, 2007