    went bad. Would the power supply most likely be ATX or AT?

    Thanks

    KC

    Kevin M, Oct 1, 2005

  2. Kevin M

    Brian Guest

    Power supply is most likely AT. you can tell by the motherboard
    connector..if it is 2 connectors in a single line then its AT if its one
    connector with several rows of wires then it's ATX. If you unplug an AT
    connector from the motherboard just remember that the black wires go in the
    middle. The ATX only fits one way

    Brian, Oct 1, 2005

  3. Kevin M

    Kenny Guest

    What fault symptoms are you having? I've seen a few older systems which
    apparently weren't booting to Windows, nothing appearing on monitor. Turned
    out they just needed a new m/b battery and BIOS settings restored.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Oct 1, 2005
  4. Kevin M

    Ken Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:13:36 -0500, "Brian" <>
    wrote:

    > Power supply is most likely AT. you can tell by the motherboard
    > connector..if it is 2 connectors in a single line then its AT if its
    > one connector with several rows of wires then it's ATX. If you unplug
    > an AT connector from the motherboard just remember that the black wires
    > go in the middle. The ATX only fits one way

    Here an image of a AT motherboard connector
    http://tekniken.se/docs/image/example/powerconn_01.jpg
    (little burned on 5V)

    Ken, Oct 1, 2005
  5. Kevin M

    wrote:

    > Power supply is most likely AT. you can tell by the motherboard
    > connector..if it is 2 connectors in a single line then its AT if its
    > one connector with several rows of wires then it's ATX. If you unplug
    > an AT connector from the motherboard just remember that the black wires
    > go in the middle. The ATX only fits one way

    Here an image of a AT motherboard connectors

    Ken, Oct 1, 2005
  6. Kevin M

    Robert Baer Guest

    Ken wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:13:36 -0500, "Brian" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Power supply is most likely AT. you can tell by the motherboard
    >>connector..if it is 2 connectors in a single line then its AT if its
    >>one connector with several rows of wires then it's ATX. If you unplug
    >>an AT connector from the motherboard just remember that the black wires
    >>go in the middle. The ATX only fits one way

    > Here an image of a AT motherboard connector
    > http://tekniken.se/docs/image/example/powerconn_01.jpg
    > (little burned on 5V)

    That is definitely for AT motherboards, and the few rare MBs that
    allowed both types of supplies.
    I strongly recommend that you replace those connectors, and it would
    be a good idea to check (and reflow) the solder connections to the pins
    on the motherboard.
    Ther should be no discoloration, even after 10 years of moderate use.

    Robert Baer, Oct 1, 2005
  7. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    PC is dead! No power at all.

    Thanks

    Kevin M, Oct 1, 2005
  8. Kevin M

    Ken Guest

    On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 08:25:54 GMT, Robert Baer <>
    wrote:

    >> Here an image of a AT motherboard connector
    >> http://tekniken.se/docs/image/example/powerconn_01.jpg
    >> (little burned on 5V)

    > That is definitely for AT motherboards, and the few rare MBs that
    > allowed both types of supplies.
    > I strongly recommend that you replace those connectors, and it would
    > be a good idea to check (and reflow) the solder connections to the pins
    > on the motherboard.
    > Ther should be no discoloration, even after 10 years of moderate use.

    Known problem on that board (Supermicro P6SNE and Pentium Pro 200).
    The motherboard manufacturer chose bad material for the pins.
    I soldered cables directly to the back of the motherboard.
    The motherboard is still working since 1996.

    Ken, Oct 2, 2005
  9. Kevin M

    Cyrus® Guest

    > PC is dead! No power at all.

    Conclusion

    1. Check your Wall outlet to see if it has POWER.
    2. Check this web site to find out what kind of power supply your PC has.(
    It seems AT style Power supply )
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsMotherboard-c.html
    3. purchase new power supply and replace it with dead one, then your PC will
    become alive again.

    With Best Wishes
    Cyrus®

    Cyrus®, Oct 2, 2005
  10. Kevin M

    The One Guest

    "Cyrus®" <> wrote in message
    > > PC is dead! No power at all.

    > Conclusion
    >
    > 1. Check your Wall outlet to see if it has POWER.
    > 2. Check this web site to find out what kind of power supply your PC has.(
    > It seems AT style Power supply )
    > http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/partsMotherboard-c.html
    > 3. purchase new power supply and replace it with dead one, then your PC

    will
    > become alive again.
    >
    > With Best Wishes
    > Cyrus®

    A PSU wont normally go immediately, did you investigate that it might be
    motherboard?

    The One, Oct 3, 2005
  11. Kevin M

    Kevin M Guest

    I did check the wall outlet for power. The Power supply appears to be ATX,
    however, I understand that Dell uses some proprietary power supplies that
    look similar to ATX but are actually different.

    Kevin M, Oct 3, 2005
  12. Kevin M

    Cyrus® Guest

    Now for your DELL PC , please do not use after market ( Colon ATX P/S ) it
    will distroy your MOBO.

    Cyrus®

    Cyrus®, Oct 4, 2005