    out if I don't have to. I know AMD's tend to run hot.

    TIA,
    Pat

    pcgr1, Aug 14, 2004

  2. pcgr1

    Pat Guest

    Acutally, I meant it faces towards the side of the case.

    TIA

    "pcgr1" <> wrote in message
    > I installed a new power supply, and the holes only line up one way, but

    the
    > 2nd intake fan faces upward towards the case, not towards the center of

    the
    > case. Is this right? Also I upgraded my cpu and just used the thermal

    pad

    Pat, Aug 14, 2004

  3. pcgr1

    Puzzled Guest

    "2nd intake fan"???
    I think you may have installed it upside down?
    Is it an ATX case/frame?

    Puzzled, Aug 14, 2004
  4. pcgr1

    Pat Guest

    Sorry, I meant the intake fan(1 only), and it's facing the side of the case.

    Pat, Aug 14, 2004
  5. pcgr1

    Shel-hed Guest

    OK, so you have one outlet fan blowing into the room, and one intake fan sucking air
    from inside the case and blowing it inside the power supply, right?
    If so, you should have at least 1/2" clearance on the side with the fan.

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:19:38 -0700, "Pat" <> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Aug 15, 2004
  6. pcgr1

    Pat Guest

    Yes, I have about 1" clearance on the side of the case with the intake fan.

    Thanks

    Pat, Aug 15, 2004
  7. pcgr1

    Buffalo Guest

    "pcgr1" <> wrote in message
    > I installed a new power supply, and the holes only line up one way,

    but the
    > 2nd intake fan faces upward towards the case, not towards the center

    of the
    > case. Is this right? Also I upgraded my cpu and just used the

    thermal pad
    > that was there. Should I use some thermal paste instead. My AMD

    cpu runs
    > at 55-56 degrees. I have only one case fan. I don't want to take

    the cpu
    > out if I don't have to. I know AMD's tend to run hot.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Pat

    Usually that fan is facing down toward the cpu to help dissipate the
    cpu heat. If you stay in the low 60s under max load you should be OK.
    Removing the heatsink, removing all traces of the thermal pad, lapping
    the heatsink contact area super smooth and applying a good heatsink
    paste will probably save you somewhat over 5 degrees C or more.
    If you have problems due to the cpu getting too hot, many aftermarket
    heatsinks will easily keep that temp over 10C cooler.

    Buffalo, Aug 15, 2004