    causing these lockups? Before I ask my friend to put out some cash for a
    new ps I would like to know if I am in the ballpark on a possible solution.

    Thanks in advance for any help
    peter, Nov 3, 2003

  2. peter

    Kenny Guest

    Using a multimeter doesn't give an indication of ripple on supply lines
    which can cause havoc in electronic equipment.

    --

    Kenny

    "mark mandell" <> wrote in message

    > "Glenn (SBfan2000)" <> wrote in message
    > > your voltages are within acceptable limits but it could be putting out
    > > higher or lower voltage when you are not testing it! You are right to
    > > suspect the Memory and PS! I would try a new PS first!
    > >
    > > Glenn
    > >
    > > "peter" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hi a friend's system is locking up all the time even with a clean

    > install
    > > of
    > > > winxp. It does it right after booting up so I don't think it has had

    the
    > > > time to overheat. I have ruled out most of the hardware by

    > disconnecting
    > > > it ... except the memory the mainboard and power supply (I don't have
    > > > another memory stick or ps to test that out).
    > > >
    > > > So my question is what level of voltage does the power supply have to

    > put
    > > > out. I tested the PS with a volt meter and it is putting out 11.75 on

    > the
    > > > yellow and just over 5 on the red wire. Is this a problem that might

    be

    Kenny, Nov 3, 2003

  3. peter

    peter Guest

    Once again thanks for your replies. It turns out to be the on board video
    card. Once I disabled it and put another video card in it hasn't locked up.

    peter, Nov 3, 2003
  4. peter

    peter Guest

    The drivers are correct for this computer and the device manager claims
    everything is setup properly for this onboard video chip. It did tend to
    lockup when you move your mouse over a menu selection. i.e. Click the start
    menu then move the mouse up onto one of the selections above it, it would
    always lock up by doing this. I ruled out the mouse by using a serial, then
    USB mouse, this did not correct the problem so I put it back into the ps2
    connector.

    I have come to the conclusion that there is a physical problem with the
    onboard video chip or a circuit on the mother board that it relies on.

    peter, Nov 3, 2003