    i have a 300Watt supply

    tia
    greets kwijl
    kwijlebabulus, Feb 3, 2004

  2. kwijlebabulus

    Alex Devlin Guest

    On 03 Feb 2004, kwijlebabulus wrote:

    > hello folks
    >
    > my ventilator in the powersupply is making very much noise
    >
    > can i put any other fan in the supply, or is it a special one?
    >
    > i have a 300Watt supply
    >
    > tia
    > greets kwijl

    First, check some prices for a new power supply at online PC stores.
    They're not that expensive. But if you wish to replace the fan then have
    a look at your power supply and find out who makes it and what model it
    is. Start at their website first and see if it's possible. I'm not sure
    if you can replace the fans easily or at all in them. Another possibility
    is to find an electronics supplier and see if they have a fan meeting
    your requirements. Again it will come down to price of replacement of fan
    over replacement of power supply.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    Good friends will bail you out of jail...
    ... True friends will be sitting there with you saying "Damn. That was
    fun!"
    Alex Devlin, Feb 3, 2004

  3. kwijlebabulus

    Plato Guest

    kwijlebabulus wrote:

    > my ventilator in the powersupply is making very much noise
    >
    > can i put any other fan in the supply, or is it a special one?

    Generally it's a standard 3X3 inch fan. Most often tho it's soldered to
    the board. But yes, one can spice the wires and replace it no problem.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 3, 2004
  4. hello plato

    does it matter at what speed the fan is turning?
    or is a standard fan enough??
    a standard fan here costs about 6 € and its ment to be placed in the case
    for ventilation

    greets kwijl
    kwijlebabulus, Feb 3, 2004
  5. kwijlebabulus

    Thor Guest

    A standard 80mm 12V DC fan is fine. Direct it the same way the old fan was
    blowing. Some power supplies use temperature controlled fans, but a standard
    replacement fan should work just fine.

    Thor, Feb 4, 2004
  6. kwijlebabulus

    Drifter Guest

    >A standard 80mm 12V DC fan is fine. Direct it the same way the old fan was
    >blowing. Some power supplies use temperature controlled fans, but a standard
    >replacement fan should work just fine.

    Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
    capacitors and high voltage???

    Drifter
    Drifter, Feb 4, 2004
  7. kwijlebabulus

    labatyd Guest

    "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    > >A standard 80mm 12V DC fan is fine. Direct it the same way the old fan

    was
    > >blowing. Some power supplies use temperature controlled fans, but a

    standard
    > >replacement fan should work just fine.

    > Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
    > capacitors and high voltage???
    >
    > Drifter

    How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he won't
    work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>
    labatyd, Feb 4, 2004
  8. kwijlebabulus

    Drifter Guest

    >"Drifter" <> wrote in message
    >> >A standard 80mm 12V DC fan is fine. Direct it the same way the old fan

    >was
    >> >blowing. Some power supplies use temperature controlled fans, but a

    >standard
    >> >replacement fan should work just fine.

    >> Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
    >> capacitors and high voltage???
    >>
    >> Drifter

    >How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he won't
    >work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

    Doesn't matter if it's plugged in if he opens things up and shorts out
    a capacitor. They can retain a charge for weeks/years.

    Drifter
    Drifter, Feb 4, 2004
  9. kwijlebabulus

    Thor Guest

    "Drifter" <> wrote in message

    > >"Drifter" <> wrote in message

    > >was

    > >standard
    > >>
    > >> Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
    > >> capacitors and high voltage???
    > >>
    > >> Drifter

    > >How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he won't
    > >work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

    > Doesn't matter if it's plugged in if he opens things up and shorts out
    > a capacitor. They can retain a charge for weeks/years.

    Can? yes. Likely to? No. If the supply is operating normally, they should
    discharge themselves when the power is removed. Additionally, the larger
    capacitor contacts are almost always difficult to touch or accidentally come
    into contact with, unless you try and remove the entire main circuit board
    from the supply exposing the underside. Something that is difficult to do,
    and not necessary for putting in a new fan. IMHO the risk of shock is
    minimal.
    Thor, Feb 4, 2004
  10. kwijlebabulus

    labatyd Guest

    "Drifter" <> wrote in message

    > >"Drifter" <> wrote in message

    > >was

    > >standard
    > >>
    > >> Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
    > >> capacitors and high voltage???
    > >>
    > >> Drifter

    > >How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he won't
    > >work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

    > Doesn't matter if it's plugged in if he opens things up and shorts out
    > a capacitor. They can retain a charge for weeks/years.
    >
    > Drifter

    Na not that dangerous. I've been around this stuff for 40+ years.
    labatyd, Feb 4, 2004
  11. well i looked in the supplybox
    the 2 wires are connected with a plug to the panel

    so i guess i can do nothing wrong? or?

    tia
    kwijl
    kwijlebabulus, Feb 4, 2004
  12. kwijlebabulus

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    labatyd wrote:

    > "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>A standard 80mm 12V DC fan is fine. Direct it the same way the old fan

    > was
    >
    >>>blowing. Some power supplies use temperature controlled fans, but a

    > standard
    >
    >>>replacement fan should work just fine.

    >>Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
    >>capacitors and high voltage???
    >>
    >>Drifter

    > How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he won't
    > work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

    Most likely not 110v. He mention a cost of € 6 so he is obviously in
    Europe, where generally voltages are 220v.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 4, 2004
  13. kwijlebabulus

    Night_Seer Guest

    Thor wrote:
    > "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Drifter" <> wrote in message

    >>> How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he
    >>> won't work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

    >> Doesn't matter if it's plugged in if he opens things up and shorts
    >> out a capacitor. They can retain a charge for weeks/years.

    > Can? yes. Likely to? No. If the supply is operating normally, they
    > should discharge themselves when the power is removed. Additionally,
    > the larger capacitor contacts are almost always difficult to touch or
    > accidentally come into contact with, unless you try and remove the
    > entire main circuit board from the supply exposing the underside.
    > Something that is difficult to do, and not necessary for putting in a
    > new fan. IMHO the risk of shock is minimal.

    Stick a paper clip in it!

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Feb 4, 2004
  14. kwijlebabulus

    Thor Guest

    unplug the old fan then, cut off the plug with a suitable length of wire
    attached, and splice the wires of the replacement into the wires of the plug
    payking attention to match polarity/color of the wires. You can use wire
    crimpers, or solder them together then (if you are good at wire wrapping)
    electrical tape to insulate them. I recommend the crimpers, and then test
    the crimp by pulling on the wires a bit to ensure they are firmly attached
    at the crimp and make damn sure there are no exposed wires. Route the wire
    away from any heatsinks before putting it all back together.

    Thor, Feb 4, 2004
  15. kwijlebabulus

    Thor Guest

    > Stick a paper clip in it!

    LOL!!! Whatever happened to that guy?
    Thor, Feb 4, 2004
  16. kwijlebabulus

    Night_Seer Guest

    Thor wrote:
    >> Stick a paper clip in it!

    > LOL!!! Whatever happened to that guy?

    LOL I was wondering the same thing the other day.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Feb 4, 2004
  17. kwijlebabulus

    V W Wall Guest

    labatyd wrote:

    > "Drifter" <> wrote in message
    > > >A standard 80mm 12V DC fan is fine. Direct it the same way the old fan

    > was
    > > >blowing. Some power supplies use temperature controlled fans, but a

    > standard
    > > >replacement fan should work just fine.

    > > Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
    > > capacitors and high voltage???
    > >
    > > Drifter

    > How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he won't
    > work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

    The input circuit rectifies the AC voltage and charges two large value
    capacitors. In the case of 120 V, the input voltage is effectively doubled.
    In either case, the capacitors are charged to about 320 V. These are
    shunted by "bleeder resistors" such that they will discharge in a few
    seconds. In addition, as Thor mentioned, a normally operating supply
    will discharge this voltage rapidly after it's unplugged.

    It is hard to get your fingers on the capacitor terminals, but some
    heat sinks are at a high voltage. Just wait a couple of minutes before
    opening the PS case. Be careful of sharp metal edges, they can really
    hurt!

    Virg Wall
    --

    Any sufficiently advanced technology
    is indistinguishable from magic.

    Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law
    V W Wall, Feb 4, 2004
  18. kwijlebabulus

    labatyd Guest

    "Oldus Fartus" <> wrote in message
    > labatyd wrote:
    >
    > > "Drifter" <> wrote in message

    > > was

    > > standard

    > >>Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
    > >>capacitors and high voltage???
    > >>
    > >>Drifter

    > > How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he

    won't
    > > work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>
    > >

    > Most likely not 110v. He mention a cost of € 6 so he is obviously in
    > Europe, where generally voltages are 220v.

    That's true. I would hope he would unplug it first regardless. <g>

    labatyd, Feb 4, 2004
  19. kwijlebabulus

    labatyd Guest

    "V W Wall" <> wrote in message
    > labatyd wrote:
    > >
    > > "Drifter" <> wrote in message

    fan
    > > was

    > > standard
    > > >
    > > > Isn't anyone going to give him the standard warning about the
    > > > capacitors and high voltage???
    > > >
    > > > Drifter

    > > How high a voltage? 120 volts AC is probably the highest. Surely he

    won't
    > > work on it when it's plugged into an outlet. <g>

    > The input circuit rectifies the AC voltage and charges two large value
    > capacitors. In the case of 120 V, the input voltage is effectively

    doubled.

    Most equipment has a transformer which drops the voltages down to a useable
    level. The rectification takes place AFTER the transformer. Computer stuff
    doesn't use high voltage. A TV set is different but it draws it's high
    voltage from the flyback circuit.. I threw out the last failed PS from my
    computer so I can't look inside to see just what's there But I wouldn't
    expect to find just what you're describing. They're just not worth the
    bother to fix.

    > In either case, the capacitors are charged to about 320 V. These are
    > shunted by "bleeder resistors" such that they will discharge in a few
    > seconds.

    If I recall correctly I think there is a standard of 8 seconds. I've never
    seen a capacitor keep a charge for weeks or years. But I NEVER touch a HV
    one without first shorting the terminals. Or an AC cap from an electric
    motor if is it's been running recently. They carry a hell of a wollop.

    In addition, as Thor mentioned, a normally operating supply
    > will discharge this voltage rapidly after it's unplugged.

    Yes.

    > It is hard to get your fingers on the capacitor terminals, but some
    > heat sinks are at a high voltage. Just wait a couple of minutes before
    > opening the PS case. Be careful of sharp metal edges, they can really
    > hurt!

    As they used to joke in Radio and TV classes 45 years ago. TV's highest
    voltages then were in the range of 15 kV. That would smart and sometimes
    burn a little hole in the skin. The real damage came from the sharp edges
    following the reaction of the shock. You soon develop a little respect for
    certain things. <g>

    This stuff however is not too scary. You'd have to try hard to hurt
    yourself. The manufacturers love those little stickers though. Probably
    helps them sell new parts.

    labatyd, Feb 4, 2004
  20. kwijlebabulus

    labatyd Guest

    Just like Thor says. If you need a different fan there has to be tons of old
    ones around. Check with a computer shop or scrap yard. You be surprised what
    one will find if you watch those places.

    labatyd, Feb 4, 2004